Remixes / Remasters

Where it all begins

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Remixes / Remasters

Post by tokenbrit »

Prompted by the 'Latest records...' topic, does anyone have any experience & musical view of Pink Floyd remixes / remasters on vinyl? I know some here are waiting on Animals, and I've read mostly disappointment with DSotM remixed releases, but was wondering if there's consensus on the following:

A Saucerful of Secrets (Mono) - re-release of the 2019 RSD ltd ed.
Live at Knebworth (45rpm)
Delicate Sound of Thunder 2020

Thanks.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Remixes / Remasters

Post by Hermann »

An interesting topic, thanks for that.

I can't say anything about the first record.

I refrained from the 2nd because some descriptions(JPC and others) consistently describe not such a good press quality.

Delicate Sound of Thunder 2020 - par. The original is a DMM and sounds pretty good. The 2020 reissue, while more melodic here and there (perhaps due to the tube rig), shows an audible sheen around the top not heard on the original. Still, it doesn't sound bad and a decision is more likely to be guided by personal taste.

Animals - own the original and a 2016 reissue and would go for the original. In my opinion, the reissue sounds more like hi-fi. So I'm hoping for today's delivery of 2018 Remix.

Obscured by Clouds - The reisse actually sounds a bit more transparent with the same musical impression. Deciding for a reissue wouldn't be wrong

More - Definitely original. The reissue sounds flat and boring.

Hope this helps
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-09-16 00:22 Prompted by the 'Latest records...' topic, does anyone have any experience & musical view of Pink Floyd remixes / remasters on vinyl?

A Saucerful of Secrets (Mono) - re-release of the 2019 RSD ltd ed.
Live at Knebworth (45rpm)
Delicate Sound of Thunder 2020
Here are some views on Saucerful: https://www.discogs.com/release/1345228 ... Of-Secrets
And here on Knebworth: https://www.discogs.com/master/2102665- ... ?format=LP
And on Delicate: https://www.discogs.com/release/1623885 ... Of-Thunder
Not a PF fan myself, so I don't have any firsthand experience...
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks both.

I don't think I'd ever scrolled down the discogs pages before to find the reviews, just noted the avg scores - interesting...

Good to know your findings Herman. Thankfully Spotify have original (?) recordings and remixes available of most of those so I can compare (not cross ;) the streams, but there's no guarantee that availability will continue... and there's something about owning the LPs ... as long as they're good :)