Playing FLAC

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Playing FLAC

Post by springwood64 »

I have a few CDs that are not available on streaming services that I have ripped to FLAC, so I would like to play them on Källa.

Is anyone else playing FLAC files on Källa? If so, how are you doing it?
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Playing FLAC

Post by lejonklou »

Hi springwood64!

Where do you store those FLACs? If they’re on a NAS, I use the app foobar2000 to play them. There are a bunch of other ones too.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Thanks Fredrik. Yes the files are on a NAS. I'll check out foobar2000.
Pete

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

springwood64 wrote: 2023-11-11 09:24 Thanks Fredrik. Yes the files are on a NAS. I'll check out foobar2000.
Interested to hear your thoughts Pete, once you get it working…
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I rarely play my ripped albums as Spotify sounds much more reliably enjoyable on my Hakai. Some sound better than Spotify, but most sound a lot worse.

I'm hoping that Källa will make them sound good enough that I'll enjoy listening to the albums that are not available on streaming.

I will share results once I have them.
Pete

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I know what you mean about that. At the Axpona show we had the Källa and a cellular WiFi streamer. We were able to get quite musical sound out of the system on setup day but once the show started we couldn't get it to play without it dropping out regularly. My best guess is that the amount of cellular traffic at the show was causing the problem, but I was told that the people who paid for wired Internet (which was quite expensive) also had connection problems.

I had another setup there to demonstrate Giella ∏ 1.2 with a few sets of very good headphones. It used my MacBook Air with iTunes and all of my ripped music on an external Intel SSD drive in a recommended external case. For use with the Giella ∏ I had that connected to the DAC unit used for the Hakai. It sounded great on the headphones. But as a backup we tried using Airplay on the MacBook Air to the Källa and it was just pretty dead and lifeless. However, since we were mostly running my Klimax+ LP12 into the SINGularities neither we nor the listening public felt there was any loss of enjoyable music. We were just disappointed that we could not show people how musical streaming could be as well.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.