TvOS 17.0 with Källa

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

willem kuis

TvOS 17.0 with Källa

Post by willem kuis »

Hi,

All of a sudden (most likely after an automatic software update to tvOS 17.0) my Apple TV seems to be incompatible with my Källa: I tried everything I can think of: restarting the Källa and re-installing my Apple TV: No sound anymore from the Apple TV to my Källa, but the horrible sound of my smart TV only :-(

Are you experiencing the same?
And if yes, what can I do to resolve this?

p.s. playing Spotify through my iPad mini 6 (17.0.3) still works great.
Last edited by willem kuis on 2023-10-18 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HELP: TvOS 17.0 with Källa

Post by lejonklou »

No problems here or with anyone else that I’ve spoken to.

After tvOS 17 had been installed, it did drop Källa. I went to the system menu on Apple TV and chose restart. And then it worked just fine.

You can always try switching off the router, switch, Källa and Apple TV. Switch on the router first and let it start, as this usually takes a while, then the switch, then Källa and last Apple TV.

Then you should find Källa under the “Speakers” menu on Apple TV (press and hold the black “TV button” on the top right (on the latest remote)).
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Absolutely no problems with mine either. I can also control Spotify on the ATV with my iPhone and iPad without any difficulty.
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

Thks for the prompt replies, but unfortunately your advice and proposed actions did not work out.
Still no sound!
Which is annoying as my bluesound streamers (being present in my kitchen and my study) function properly, so I guess it must be something between protokoll and my Apple TV

Any other suggestions?
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

What do you mean by “no sound” exactly?

Can you find and select Källa on Apple TV? Is there then no sound? Or does Källa not appear in the Apple TV menu?
willem kuis

Solved TvOS 17.0 with Källa

Post by willem kuis »

H Fredrik

I can see and select the Källa on the menu of the Apple TV, but no sound

But the great news is that I just solved it

I took out the wired ethernet connection of my Apple TV and switched over to WiFi…

Mindboggling solution. But Happy!

Thx
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TvOS 17.0 with Källa

Post by lejonklou »

Odd that wired connection caused a problem, but your solution is great, because the sound will be better when fewer wired connections to the switch or mesh unit are used. So I always recommend using Apple TV with WiFi connection.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Quick question for Apple TV users.

How does it output to Kalla ? Is it a wireless connection to my BT mesh unit and then to Kalla.

I presume one can put Netflix, Amazon prime etc as apps onto the Apple TV Home Screen and watch through this interface.

Currently I have a sky Q and can output via my surround sound system - a direct output to Kalla would be better, I’m sure.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote: 2023-10-30 23:40 Quick question for Apple TV users.

How does it output to Kalla ? Is it a wireless connection to my BT mesh unit and then to Kalla.
Yes, exactly.

Apple TV only needs mains power and then you connect it to your mesh unit through WiFi. Källa will turn up as a speaker and your TV series will be so much more involving.

I find it totally addictive and wind down almost every night with an episode of something that takes me far away. Preferably something with an intelligent dialogue.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-10-31 01:35
u252agz wrote: 2023-10-30 23:40 Quick question for Apple TV users.

Yes, exactly.

Apple TV only needs mains power and then you connect it to your mesh unit through WiFi. Källa will turn up as a speaker and your TV series will be so much more involving.

I find it totally addictive and wind down almost every night with an episode of something that takes me far away. Preferably something with an intelligent dialogue.
I now have an apple TV unit and can confirm that it works incredibly well and the sound via Kalla via monos/242 is much better than the TV speakers. Crystal clear dialogue and any accompanying music sounds great. Its not bad with spotify either, but I prefer the i pad mini 6 purely as a control point.

However, when I try the same Netflix programme through my Sky Q box - feeding Yamaha AV amp ( Left and right speaker routed through Sagatun Monos/ Tundra/ 242; centre, rears and subwoofer directly through Yamaha) I am immediately impressed with the 'surround ' aspect of the sound, and realise that I rather quite like the dialogue coming from the centre speaker, which is directly below the TV, as opposed to the 242s, which are to either side.

Not as musical as with Kalla to 242s, but good enough: and if I am being honest I prefer this with the sort of programme where soundstage and sense of 'scale' is important ( not all programmes by any means).

I suppose an equivalent comparision is between my 50 inch Samsung Plasma vs the 80 inch screen via the projector - Quality not as good but sense of visual size contribute hugely to ones enjoyment for certain films, and becomes the default choice.

So I will use apple TV / Kalla for many programmes but Sky box/ Yamaha for those programmes that need surround sound and a sense of scale.
Last edited by u252agz on 2023-11-13 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ekay2012

Post by ekay2012 »

Wouldn’t a multichannel Källa be nice 🤤?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yesterday - I started to watch a netflix series my daughter had recommended and played this through apple TV and Kalla .

Wow - the sound was just fantastic. Clearly very well recorded compared to the series where i first tried out apple TV / Kalla, and reported back on.

It was so good and addictive in fact that i did not even bother to compare with my surround sound system, which I think is pretty good.

This time the dialogue seemed just fine coming out of the 242s as opposed to the centre speaker, and the quality of the dialogue and the rest of the sound was, as before on a different level.

As with music, it seems like the quality of the recording of TV and film is everything, and sets the limit on what ones system can produce.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you for sharing, u252agz!

Apple TV to Källa is addictive. Everyone I've spoken to that's tried it says they get sucked right in.

Sometimes I curse it, because I have work to do and just can't pull myself away.