Controlling Källa with iPad via iPhone

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Controlling Källa with iPad via iPhone

Post by Spannko »

I don’t know whether this is a new feature of the latest iOS updates (I’ve not noticed before), but I see that I can initially connect an iPhone 11 to Källa, then select music on an iPad which controls the iPhone output to Källa. This is a great feature which makes finding music much easier on the larger screen. It may even work with a Mac too, but I’ve not tried that yet. At some point I’ll have a closer listen to see if sound quality is affected using this arrangement.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Controlling Källa with iPad via iPhone

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Spannko!

We’ve mentioned before that this is a feature in Spotify. When several units are on the same Spotify account, they can control each other. So I can leave the iPad mini 6 at home, playing music to Källa, then leave home and with my iPhone change the music that is playing at home (the Spotify app says ‘Playing on iPad’).

Is that what you meant?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

That’s correct. It’s a really useful feature I didn’t know I had.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: .. This is a great feature which makes finding music much easier on the larger screen. It may even work with a Mac too, but I’ve not tried that yet. At some point I’ll have a closer listen to see if sound quality is affected using this arrangement.
Spannko wrote: 2022-12-28 16:07 That’s correct. It’s a really useful feature I didn’t know I had.
Yes, it works from anything via your Spotify account*; it's not limited to Apple devices. Once I've set my iPad to AirPlay to Kalla, I can change what's playing from the Spotify app on ann Android phone or Windows laptop, or via Spotify in a browser... Hopefully the sound quality is determined by the iPad/AirPlay - I haven't checked, but haven't noticed either, which suggests it's not obvious if there is an effect...

* I saw a note on the latest Spotify app that suggested a new(?) feature allowing other Spotify users in the house (on the same network?) to change what's playing too... not necessarily restricted to the same Spotify account? If I read it correctly, you can now allow in the iPad app settings(?), or block... (I may be wrong on all this)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I have used that too from time to time. However, whenever I use the iPhone Spotify app to pause music on the iPad I end up having to go back to the iPad to reconnect it to the Källa and start it playing again. I consider this more a bug than a feature.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Spannko wrote: 2022-12-28 13:55 I don’t know whether this is a new feature of the latest iOS updates (I’ve not noticed before), but I see that I can initially connect an iPhone 11 to Källa, then select music on an iPad which controls the iPhone output to Källa. This is a great feature which makes finding music much easier on the larger screen. It may even work with a Mac too, but I’ve not tried that yet. At some point I’ll have a closer listen to see if sound quality is affected using this arrangement.
I use this set-up to stream via my Macbook, since I find it quite inconvenient when listening to music streamed via my Iphone and I am simultaneously looking at my Facebook for instance that due to Airplay the sound with videos on Facebook will be played on my Kalla... works very well and the quality is also very good!

BUT, and I placed this also in the topic about the correct Spotify settings, is that in this set-up the fixed volume on Kalla becomes variable for some reason and the volume setting of my phone is leading.....
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Mitmu wrote: 2023-06-07 12:37 BUT, and I placed this also in the topic about the correct Spotify settings, is that in this set-up the fixed volume on Kalla becomes variable for some reason and the volume setting of my phone is leading.....
Answered here: viewtopic.php?p=70125#p70125