Kalla as a Roon endpoint: requirements

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

nostinkingloops

Kalla as a Roon endpoint: requirements

Post by nostinkingloops »

based on my *very* positive experience with the Entity phono-stage i'm contemplating replacing my current streamer/dac with a Kalla. the main question is whether my current setup is capable of running the Kalla as a Roon endpoint.

my music server is a Salk Streamplayer III SE running Roon server software. my music resides on an 8tb SSD drive internal to the streamplayer. the streamplayer directly feeds the dac in my primary system.

i'm thinking about using the Kalla in my second system, which is actually the one i listen to most.

in that system:

router -> netgear gs105 ethernet switch -> stack link II streamer (roon endpoint) -> line magnetic 32 dac -> ....

my question is whether it is possible to replace the streamer and dac with a kalla.

i'm given to understand that the kalla protocol is apple-oriented (airplay?), with which i'm completely unfamiliar. what i've been able to determine so far is that, while my iphone can "see" the streamplayer (it shows up in the control panel) it does not show or play any of the music which resides on that device. that could be a function of my extremely limited experience with the iphone -- i may not be using it correctly .the streamplayer runs a radically stripped down and simplified linux OS, which i believe contributes to it wonderful musicality when compared to some of the ridiculously overpriced linux-based servers out there. (but shhhhh - don't tell anyone.)

in the past i've used a mac mini running roon client software as the streaming device in this system, but i think this is irrelevant to the question whether the Kalla will work in this setup. if that is indeed so, what would i have to add or change to allow it to work?

thanks in advance for advice/clarification/etc.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kalla as a Roon endpoint: requirements

Post by lejonklou »

Hi nostinkingloops!

Roon will treat Källa as an airplay device, according to everyone who has tested it. We haven’t, because we’re not fond of how Roon handles the musical data and therefore we just stay clear of it. The alternative would be to make it Roon Ready, which would force us to follow all future decisions and updates of Roon in order to stay validated.

One of the secrets being the musical performance of Källa is how the data is clocked and delivered. The process is very precise and took years to perfect. This is also why I put emphasis on how to best arrange the network parts around Källa:
https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/
Interestingly, this setup also works wonders for other digital music streamers on the market.

You can connect Källa in many other ways that work just fine (Källa is very tolerant of variations in the network environment), but to get the last bits of performance (which are often experienced as significant), the recommended setup is what we’ve found best so far.

Roon affects the musical performance and when they release a software update, it’s common that users experience a change in musicality. We decided early on to opt out of all digital integration and organisation projects and strive only towards the best possible musical reproduction.
nostinkingloops

Post by nostinkingloops »

thanks frederik - this is very useful info. i note that your recommended setup uses a GS108T. have you since upgraded this to a GS308T?
willem kuis

Post by willem kuis »

I used to be a fanatic user of Roon.
Since I own a Källa I got the chance to compare:
I never looked & listened back.
The user interface of Roon is fantastic, but the thrill that a Källa with Spotify offers is no where near to a Källa as a Roon endpoint for a Qobuz and/or Tidal stream. Consequently I sold my Nucleus Plus and my DAC.
Källa 1.0 # Sagatun 1.7 # Tundra 2.5 # Spec RSA 901-EX # Harbeth Super HL5+XD # REL Strata III
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

nostinkingloops wrote: 2022-12-07 04:54 thanks frederik - this is very useful info. i note that your recommended setup uses a GS108T. have you since upgraded this to a GS308T?
Not yet! A lab move to new premises got in the way. Yesterday we had music playing for the first time and it seems very promising. As soon as that system is tuned in, I’m going to test the GS308T.
willem kuis wrote: 2022-12-07 08:34 I used to be a fanatic user of Roon.
Since I own a Källa I got the chance to compare:
I never looked & listened back.
The user interface of Roon is fantastic, but the thrill that a Källa with Spotify offers is no where near to a Källa as a Roon endpoint for a Qobuz and/or Tidal stream. Consequently I sold my Nucleus Plus and my DAC.
Very interesting, Willem! Thank you for sharing your experience.