Källa in the media

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

Fred11

Re: Källa in the media

Post by Fred11 »

This is some statement: ‘ Källa + Spotify drew me into my music in a way I hadn’t experienced previously with digital. It did away with the invisible glass wall digital often places between the music and the listener more thoroughly than any device I’ve heard.’
It was even done without iPhone 11 or iPad mini 6.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Fred11 wrote: 2023-02-10 07:24 This is some statement: ‘ Källa + Spotify drew me into my music in a way I hadn’t experienced previously with digital. It did away with the invisible glass wall digital often places between the music and the listener more thoroughly than any device I’ve heard.’
Yes, I quoted the first part of that to a new dealer as it sums it up nicely. But once it gets going the review is peppered with similar quotes. Two that I thought stood out were:

"What’s more, I found myself enjoying recordings that for me have always been nonstarters on digital. Foremost among these are wonderful tracks from the 78rpm era that can end up sounding like mush. Yet listening through the Källa to Djangologie 1928-1950, Pathé’s essential 20-CD Django Reinhardt anthology, I could feel the wit, finesse, and swerve of “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” and “I’se a Muggin’” nearly as vividly as I do on the original French vinyl."

"But with Spotify, the music simply soared and jumped, while with Qobuz it kind of sat there, glowering."

Both pretty powerful statements. And the whole of the last two paragraphs also says a lot.

I do think he hasn't even heard the best it can do yet. Although we don't know how musical the M2 MacBook is, I don't believe the rest of his network is as optimized as what most of us have done in terms of cables, network switches, Spotify settings, etc. So there is likely even more goodness for him to hear.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-02-10 18:21
Fred11 wrote: 2023-02-10 07:24 This is some statement: ‘ Källa + Spotify drew me into my music in a way I hadn’t experienced previously with digital. It did away with the invisible glass wall digital often places between the music and the listener more thoroughly than any device I’ve heard.’
Yes, I quoted the first part of that to a new dealer as it sums it up nicely. But once it gets going the review is peppered with similar quotes. Two that I thought stood out were:

"What’s more, I found myself enjoying recordings that for me have always been nonstarters on digital. Foremost among these are wonderful tracks from the 78rpm era that can end up sounding like mush. Yet listening through the Källa to Djangologie 1928-1950, Pathé’s essential 20-CD Django Reinhardt anthology, I could feel the wit, finesse, and swerve of “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love” and “I’se a Muggin’” nearly as vividly as I do on the original French vinyl."

"But with Spotify, the music simply soared and jumped, while with Qobuz it kind of sat there, glowering."

Both pretty powerful statements. And the whole of the last two paragraphs also says a lot.

I do think he hasn't even heard the best it can do yet. Although we don't know how musical the M2 MacBook is, I don't believe the rest of his network is as optimized as what most of us have done in terms of cables, network switches, Spotify settings, etc. So there is likely even more goodness for him to hear.
Truly magnificent! Fredrik has accomplished a real paradigm shift in digital replay, it seems.
nmakowsk

Post by nmakowsk »

Do we know if the reviewer Alex bought the demo unit Kalla? With this much praise pouring out in the review it sounds like he's not willing to give it up. Thats usually how I feel about my Lejonklou products too so just curious. I made the mistake of borrowing the Slipsik 8.0 for comparison and I was left shocked how much better it is than my 7.1. Now I have a financial dilemma thanks...
LP12/Kar/ARad1/Kore/Ekos SE1/NOKTable/Adikt/Slipsik 8.0/Giella Pi 1.2/Tundra Stereo 2.2/1992 Briks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

nmakowsk wrote: 2023-02-10 19:13 Do we know if the reviewer Alex bought the demo unit Kalla?
Maybe ThomasOK knows the answer?
At least in the review of the Sonnet Morpheus he mentioned that he bought the Morpheus.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

nmakowsk wrote: 2023-02-10 19:13 Do we know if the reviewer Alex bought the demo unit Kalla? With this much praise pouring out in the review it sounds like he's not willing to give it up. Thats usually how I feel about my Lejonklou products too so just curious. I made the mistake of borrowing the Slipsik 8.0 for comparison and I was left shocked how much better it is than my 7.1. Now I have a financial dilemma thanks...
You're welcome! ;-)
I did warn you.

So far Alex hasn't asked to buy the Källa. On the other hand he also hasn't sent it back.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-02-11 00:28 On the other hand he also hasn't sent it back.
Ha, hoping for an indefinite loaner?
Matt

Pierre@headonist

Post by Pierre@headonist »

Hi guys,
By any chance, can you share pics of the Stereophile review? Also, will Stereophile published the review on its website?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Pierre@headonist wrote: 2023-02-28 13:41 Also, will Stereophile published the review on its website?
It will be published on this link: https://www.stereophile.com/writer/198362

But I don't know when it will be.
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote: 2023-02-28 13:52
Pierre@headonist wrote: 2023-02-28 13:41 Also, will Stereophile published the review on its website?
It will be published on this link: https://www.stereophile.com/writer/198362

But I don't know when it will be.
Alex told me it should be online in the next week or two.
The LP12 Whisperer
Pierre@headonist

Thanks mate
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

Pierre@headonist

Thank you very much Thomas.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

matthias wrote: 2023-03-02 15:36 It is online now:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bri ... dac-page-2
This must be the most genuine and honest review I’ve ever read, nice!
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

wow - concratulation! Not that we need that reassuring but I hope it helps your hard work to pay out.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

From an orderly queue, ladies, gentlemen and *. Your epistemological universe is just about to be put through the shredder!

* Insert your preferred pronoun of choice.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Sopper wrote: 2023-03-02 18:32
matthias wrote: 2023-03-02 15:36 It is online now:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bri ... dac-page-2
This must be the most genuine and honest review I’ve ever read, nice!
+1 👍😁
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2023-03-02 20:50
Sopper wrote: 2023-03-02 18:32 This must be the most genuine and honest review I’ve ever read, nice!
+1 👍😁
Indeed, it is very refreshing since it is a complete non-audiophile review.
Matt

Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

It reads like a thriller ..Will it get approved or not? In the end it did, and with flying colors!
Congrats to Fredrik and his team!
Last edited by Whatsmynaim on 2023-03-03 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A very, very good review. Congratulation Fredrik! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Although my background regarding Källa is different, I can very well understand the writer's sentiment. Congratulations to Fredrik.
Trust your ears