Källa firmware upgrade - postponed

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Källa firmware upgrade - postponed

Post by lejonklou »

We are working on a firmware update for Källa, which will be released as soon as we've done final testing.

It will feature two changes:
  1. Better musical performance due to an improved routine for writing the firmware to the internal memory.
  2. If you have more than one Källa on the same network, it is now possible to change the names with which they show up on your control points.
Please note that this firmware upgrade consists of two steps:
  • Using a browser, surf to the local network adress of your Källa.
  • The web interface of Källa will be shown. Choose Upgrade Firmware and upgrade to version 1.0.18a.
  • The upgrade is completed when you hear the startup melody in your speakers. You might need to reload the webpage in your browser at this point.
  • On Källa's web interface, press Upgrade Firmware again and make the upgrade to 1.0.20.
It's important that the mains power isn't switched off during the first upgrade to 1.0.18a. That could brick the unit. After 1.0.18a is installed, an automatic fallback routine protects Källa from unexpected power downs during all future firmware upgrades.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Källa firmware upgrade - postponed

Post by tokenbrit »

Is the current firmware v1.0.16? That's what mine reports... So upgrade 16 to 18a then to 20. Looking forward to even better musical performance. Cheers.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, current is 16.
1.0.17 was experimental and never released.
1.0.18a introduces a new organisation of the memory and how it should be written. 18a should not be used to play music.
1.0.19 is optimally written and stored thanks to 18a. It has a name change function added, but wasn't released.
1.0.20 has the name change function introduced in 19 hidden, to prevent people from accidentally changing the name of their Källa.

[EDIT: Updated with more info]
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

The dynamics, the tension, the control, the flow... the boost is not subtle. And that's with the system having sat idle for a few hours. I wish I could go back to .16 so I could upgrade again :)

Really impressed with the ability to listen into the elements of the performance(s) without dissecting it. The tones, timbres, & body: the instruments each sound more distinct, and more real - individually & collectively. 'Holistic separation': being able to listen to each part of an orchestra while maintaining a fundamental interconnectedness... MUSIC!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

it would be really nice to have comparison clips from firmware 16 vs. firmware 20
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Källa firmware 1.0.20

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-03 11:31 ... This allowed me to upgrade the firmware to 1.0.20.
Any thoughts on the upgrade?
Gammaboy

Post by Gammaboy »

The new firmware is quite a nice upgrade. More information, more nuance, much more musical. It has greatly exceeded my expectations.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-03-03 15:44
Spannko wrote: 2022-03-03 11:31 ... This allowed me to upgrade the firmware to 1.0.20.
Any thoughts on the upgrade?
Not good, I’m afraid. I’m finding it so unmusical I’ve had to switch it off, which is a shame, because before the upgrade I genuinely thought that it was excellent. I do wonder if something has gone wrong with the upgrade though, although I’ve no idea where to start looking for a solution.

EDIT: Re-booting hasn’t helped.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

When making a firmware upgrade, it takes a couple of hours for Källa to settle into a relaxed state. The upgrade causes its sound to harden, which is caused by the memory being flashed. But this is temporary.

Your description of the upgrade to firmware 20, Spannko, does however not fit with the impressions anyone else has had on around 10 Källa's so far. As you described network related problems in another thread, I rather suspect them to be the cause of your problems. It's wise to make one change at a time and not move on to the next until you're happy with the previous.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-03-03 20:16 When making a firmware upgrade, it takes a couple of hours for Källa to settle into a relaxed state. The upgrade causes its sound to harden, which is caused by the memory being flashed. But this is temporary.
I did wonder if the musicality was improving and almost asked if the upgrade needed to burn in. I didn’t mention it because I thought you’d think I was taking the piss and everyone else would think that I’ve totally lost the plot! 🤣
lejonklou wrote: 2022-03-03 20:16 Your description of the upgrade to firmware 20, Spannko, does however not fit with the impressions anyone else has had on around 10 Källa's so far.
I agree, which is why I’m keeping in mind there’s something I may have done wrong. However, with the utmost respect, let’s not forget that most Lejonklou owners are not fully committed tune demer’s!
lejonklou wrote: 2022-03-03 20:16 As you described network related problems in another thread, I rather suspect them to be the cause of your problems. It's wise to make one change at a time and not move on to the next until you're happy with the previous.
Maybe I have a network problem, I don’t know. Before upgrading to 1.0.20, however, I was completely happy with the performance of Källa, to the degree that I was thinking that 1.0.20 would take the performance beyond even the best LP12’s (purely from a musical perspective). Only this morning (before the upgrade), I was forced into a spontaneous sing-a-long and dad dancing session!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Hmm... I upgraded the firmware this morning, and have been busy all day since. Now I'm listening, and it's not grabbing me the way it did before. It's different, very different. Some aspects are better, but it feels boring. What's going on? It's clearly better in hifi terms, but seems to have lost the magical emotional connection.

Is there any way of reverting?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have paused the roll-out of 1.0.20 for the time being while we investigate why two users are not experiencing the expected improvement.

If you are currently on 1.0.16, you will be unable to update until our investigation has completed.
ekay2012

Post by ekay2012 »

I am definitely in the "improvement" camp with 1.0.20. I have a recording that I like but has always sounded flat to me- with 20, it almost sounds like a new recording, so much more energy to it. The update was quick and easy for me.

One question I had, if others may be able to try to investigate for the decrease in audio quality is related to the subnet mask (netmask) on the "settings" page of the Källa when setting a fixed IP. The directions when setting a fixed IP state to use 255.255.255.0- this works on my Källa, however the subnet mask of my network is 255.255.252.0. I have my Källa set to the correct (for my network) subnet mask. After reading about these issues, I change my subnet mask to the recommended 255.255.255.0 and I did feel that there was a decrease in the musicality of my Källa. It sounded flatter, less dynamic, and "muddy" to me. I switched back to the 252 subnet mask and noticed an immediate improvement. I do not consider myself to have the best trained ears and it could be in my head, but I thought it would be worth mentioning? I have been enjoying 1.0.20 all day!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Is it possible to revert to the previous firmware?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It’s possible to return to 16, but it isn’t safe. There are essential improvements to how the memory is organised and upgrades are performed which we definitely need to keep. They will protect your Källa into the future.

Those were all implemented in firmware 19.
In 20, the hidden name change feature was added. We’re currently investigating each and every part of these changes.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Firmware 19 is now available for those of you who upgraded to 20.

19 is essentially a future-proof version of 16 that is stored and written in an optimised way. It also includes the possibility of changing the name of your Källa, which we recommend you do only if you have more than one Källa on the same network. If you have only one, leave the name unchanged.

Those of you who are still on 16 will have to wait a bit longer, while we investigate the changes between 16 and 20 in more detail.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Great- that’s what I call real top notch customer service.

Two people out of 12 express concerns regarding the v20 upgrade and the manufacturer responds by immediately sorting out the issue.

Well done to the Kalla team.

Looking forward to v19.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-05 16:38 Great- that’s what I call real top notch customer service.

Two people out of 12 express concerns regarding the v20 upgrade and the manufacturer responds by immediately sorting out the issue.

Looking forward to v19.
No question. Fredrik and his cohorts are the best at customer service that I have worked with.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-05 16:38 Great- that’s what I call real top notch customer service.

Looking forward to v19.
Yes, very impressive.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm pausing the rollout of 19 a little longer, while we're investigating more details.

Meanwhile, I recommend everyone who installed 20 to upgrade to 19. They are identical apart from this: On 20, the name change feature is hidden and needs activation to become visible. Although this is a minuscule difference in code, it turned out it did slightly and inadvertently affect the musicality of Källa. With the help of feedback from owners of Källa, we concluded that the thoroughly tested 19 was indeed more musical than 20. Therefore 20 was recalled.

Those of you who have upgraded to 19: I would appreciate if you could send me a pm and share your impressions of the change. We're building a knowledge base on the musical effects of firmware, which will help us make future firmwares even higher performing.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This thread has been cleaned up a bit, to remain focused on the firmware upgrade.

We have decided to postpone the rollout of a new firmware, because we're not a hundred percent happy with what we've accomplished. When we started the development of a new firmware early in 2022, we had three objectives:

1. Create an automatic fallback, so that if anything goes wrong during the upgrade process (like the mains power being switched off), Källa will safely return to its previous state.
2. Allow for those with more than one Källa to tell them apart on the network (a name change feature).
3. Elevate the musical performance of Källa.

We succeeded with objective 1 and 2, but have now concluded that we failed with objective 3. The original firmware is 1.0.16 and it will remain the standard firmware for the time being.

Last week we released 1.0.19. Although it's safer during upgrades and allow you to change the name of your Källa, it's not musically better in every aspect. This is simply not good enough and therefore we have decided to keep working and be even more critical in our evaluation of the musical performance before we release a new version.
  • For those of you who are on 1.0.16, we ask you to wait until we have something that is better in each and every aspect. If you have more than one Källa on the same network, you can upgrade to 1.0.19. Please send me a pm or an email if you wish to do this.
  • For those of you who are on 1.0.19, you can choose to stay if you are happy (the majority of listeners have been happy with 19) or return to 16. Please send me a pm or an email if you wish to return to 16.
  • For those of you who are on 1.0.20, we recommend you install 1.0.19, which is a little more nuanced. In version 20, we added a feature for hiding the name change, which caused a small and unexpected effect on the music. It became a little sharper.
To be continued. When we have a new firmware that is better in each and every aspect, I will start a new thread.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

As a prospective Källa owner, I am impressed by the commitment of Frederik and his team to nothing but excellence. The rapid, open and constructive response to critical feedback is also impressive.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-03-08 09:06 As a prospective Källa owner, I am impressed by the commitment of Frederik and his team to nothing but excellence. The rapid, open and constructive response to critical feedback is also impressive.
Indeed, very impressive!
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Agreed

I think most of us have come to expect this fanatical detail to attention with Lejonklou hardware, but to see the same degree of care and attention with software is indeed very impressive.

I am not sure there are many manufacturers who realise the impact that software tweaks have on the musicality, and the ability and patience to use tune dem on each and every one of them.

I think it also helps to have so many forum members who also use tune dem and can be trusted to give back constructive feedback on the various upgrades.

I am very optimistic that Kalla will continue to delight me with its groundbreaking musicality and confident that its development and support is in safe and talented hands.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-08 09:19
springwood64 wrote: 2022-03-08 09:06 As a prospective Källa owner, I am impressed by the commitment of Frederik and his team to nothing but excellence. The rapid, open and constructive response to critical feedback is also impressive.
Indeed, very impressive!
Great!
Music First ...
Vlado