Optimum Operating Temperature and Frequency

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Optimum Operating Temperature and Frequency

Post by tokenbrit »

The Settings page of the Källa web interface shows temperature ° & frequency MHz. Is this measuring room temp, or that of a component, in F or C, and what frequency is being reported? Just curious :)
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by Defender »

the temp and frequency is probably from the small computer board in it (Tinker board)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote: 2021-12-07 18:52 the temp and frequency is probably from the small computer board in it (Tinker board)
Processor temp (°C) & memory frequency... ?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes temp was with the one I had between 66 and 68 frequency something 768? but dont remember completely
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote: 2021-12-07 19:11 yes temp was with the one I had between 66 and 68 frequency something 768? but dont remember completely
Consistently ~66 & 900 here - assume those #s are both in the 'normal' range...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-03 16:28 The Settings page of the Källa web interface shows temperature ° & frequency MHz. Is this measuring room temp, or that of a component, in F or C, and what frequency is being reported? Just curious :)
Apologies for not having answered this.

The temperature and frequency numbers are taken from the core in the Tinker Board. They are there to help me when doing the final tuning of Källa.

Temperature will vary with room temperature and how Källa is positioned. If the position is varm and ventilation constricted, the temperature will be higher. This is harmless, but above 75 degrees the musical performance of Källa will begin to suffer and a change of position will likely be beneficial.

This does not mean that the lower the temperature, the better it sounds. Rather that at above 75 degrees a gradual decline in musical performance begins. This may not be noticeable at 76 degrees, but at 80 and above, you'll likely notice that there's something forced about how the music is presented.

The frequency should be slowly drifting up and down around 900 MHz. This is tuned when finalizing each Källa and exactly how and why is a long story. In short, the frequency is set indirectly by other parameters and the slow drift is intentional. It's much easier to set it to an exact frequency with zero drift, but this doesn't sound as good.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yeah probably got the numbers for the frequency mixed up and it was 876 or something around that. yes when you have an onboard computer rather take care you power it down through software.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-12-07 20:40
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-03 16:28 The Settings page of the Källa web interface shows temperature ° & frequency MHz. Is this measuring room temp, or that of a component, in F or C, and what frequency is being reported? Just curious :)
Apologies for not having answered this.

The temperature and frequency numbers are taken from the core in the Tinker Board. They are there to help me when doing the final tuning of Källa.

Temperature will vary with room temperature and how Källa is positioned. If the position is varm and ventilation constricted, the temperature will be higher. This is harmless, but above 75 degrees the musical performance of Källa will begin to suffer and a change of position will likely be beneficial.

This does not mean that the lower the temperature, the better it sounds. Rather that at above 75 degrees a gradual decline in musical performance begins. This may not be noticeable at 76 degrees, but at 80 and above, you'll likely notice that there's something forced about how the music is presented.

Thats really useful information - I wonder how many other Hi Fi manufacturers can be so specific at what temperature their products perform optimally.

My Sagatuns/ Kalla and Radikal and Slipsik are in a wooden Unit with ventillated shelfs, open back and a door at the front - the temperature with no music playing is 76. WIth Kalla playing it gets to 80.6.

With the door open a chink ( before i push the magnet button) the temp runs to 77.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

80.6 is a bit warm. Do you think it sounds better with the door open?

Is it perhaps possible to change the position of the units around, moving Källa to a lower position? My assumption is that it's colder there. It could also drop a few degrees with more space above it (in case the shelves can be moved).

Sagatun and Slipsik are not sensitive to the temperature in the way Källa is. I don't know about Radikal.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

You have read my mind!

I am planning to move Kalla to the lowest shelf this afternoon and see if I can also get a little more space above it.

Radikal (which always runs a little warm will then not be underneath Kalla.

Unfortunately I had my cabinet made specifically for Lejonklou and Kilmax stuff and tried to keep it as compact as possible, so the LP12 sits at a ‘nice’ height, with a tinted door for aesthetics !. Little did I know that it would create these challenges a few years down the line.

I told my wife at lunch ( as her eyes glazed over- Hi Fi does this to her) - that I would just take your word for it, as your ears are better than mine - but now that you have asked , I’ll check it out before moving things around.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

"as her eyes glazed over" - not sure why, but these words created a stream of vivid and notable images in my mind.

I strongly object, however, to the idea that I have better ears than anyone else.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

My lower shelf runs at 77 compared to 80.6 with Kalla playing and door closed - so definitely cooler.

And it does sound better at this temperature. Better balanced and flow - vocals in particular are noticeably better and it tempers some occasionally ‘strident’ notes that some females in particular are fond of.

Kalla still trounces KDS/2 even at the higher temp but it’s great to get such an easy upgrade for the source .

In terms of ‘ears’ I am OK with back to back A/B comparisons , but less good when there is a delay of even a few minutes.

I think others are definitely better with the memory of the first clip.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Good to hear that!

With door a little open, can you get it to 75?

I'm asking because once we started noticing this, we quickly found 75 to be the point where something starts happening.
Between 50 and 75: Great!
Above 75: It really sounds as if a "heat" is creeping into the music. Singers are pushing it. Drums are being hit harder. Bass notes are being pressed against the wall.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yes!

Now with Kalla on the bottom shelf, 38mm space above it, and Radikal on the shelf above- the temperature with Kalla playing is 75.2 (25C) , door closed.
With door open a little it falls to73.4(24C)

So placing Kalla on the bottom shelf and creating more space ( now 38mm instead of the previous 10mm) has done the trick.

Having had temperature issues in my semi closed unit with Tunda monos - which was rectified by one of the major upgrades (before I moved them to my AV unit) and now Kalla - I really wish I had designed it differently.

Although it does look quite smart!

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I bet it looks smart.

Do you feel those last degrees (75.2 to 73.4) are an improvement or not noticeable?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-12-12 00:28 Do you feel those last degrees (75.2 to 73.4) are an improvement or not noticeable?
Fredrik,
with 75 you mean degrees Fahrenheit which is about 24 degrees celsius?
This is much colder than the heatsinks of my power amp when I play Fink into the 3677.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

No, it's Celsius.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

OK thanks, this is quite warm…
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-12-12 00:28 I bet it looks smart.

Do you feel those last degrees (75.2 to 73.4) are an improvement or not noticeable?
No significant difference that I could discern.

I’ll keep an eye on the temp for a few more days and then start looking forward to an I pad mini6 which I am hoping my wife will place under the Xmas tree - she’s had enough hints and will benefit from the older I pad mini going upstairs for online browsing.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s