Källa for TV sound

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

jajo

Re: Källa for TV sound

Post by jajo »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-12-06 12:06 A further update. Lip sync is still an issue but, interestingly, it depends on the picture format. It seems that only Dolby Vision streams have the sound ahead of picture issue. HDR steams are fine. Something to do with the amount of picture processing required perhaps? Irritatingly I suspect there’s nothing I can do about it. All picture processing features are turned off.
It is poor software on the TV that cause this issue. The protocol for picture processing delay is very simple and works great if implemented correctly.

Perhaps it would make sense to make a list of TVs that do not have issues with lip sync delay when audio and video is run separately.

List of TVs with confirmed correct handling of processing delays
  • Philips 65OLED873 - Apps tested: Netflix, HBO Max, SVT Play, TV4Play, Movies rented on Apple TV. Resolutions tested: 1080p+4K. Dynamic ranges tested: SDR, HDR10, Dolby Vision
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Källa for TV sound

Post by Spannko »

Is there a preferred Apple TV unit, either the standard or 4K , 32/64 Gb version?

EDIT: it’s OK, I’ve just ordered the 64 Gb 4K version from Amazon with 5 months interest free payments.