A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by u252agz »

Flatcoat wrote: 2022-09-09 08:16

I still can not believe how good the Kalla is in my system - by far the biggest upgrade I have ever experienced in over 30 years of running top end Linn systems.
I have had Kalla 017 for 10 months or so and everytime I listen to it, am still astonished at just how good it is.

The only Linn component that I have listened to, that is in the same league musically is a well set up LP12 and then only with really good vinyl recordings ( usually older ones, of which I unfortunately, have a limited supply).

With Kalla there is an almost limitless catalogue of digital music on Spotify most of which seems to be excellent.

When I listen to good recordings with Kalla and LP12 - I feel both fortunate and blessed.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Kalle05

Post by Kalle05 »

Has anyone tried stream with Apple music to Källa and compared it to spotify ?
snatex

Post by snatex »

Kalle05 wrote: 2022-11-03 16:38 Has anyone tried stream with Apple music to Källa and compared it to spotify ?
I would love to hear some thoughts on this too!
LP12 / Entity / Sagatun Monos / Tundra Monos / Harbeth M30.1 / Rythmik E22's
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

We tested Apple Music a while back and thought it was pretty good.

On most of the songs we played, however, Spotify was better.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Spannko wrote: 2022-09-09 10:46 It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying your Källa, Flatcoat! Did you know that there’s now a SkyGo app for Apple TV? It means that you can now port every channel on your Sky package through Källa.
I need some help in understanding how I would use Apple Tv through the Kalla in my system. At present Sky is connected via hdmi to my kdsm, which is then connected to my tv. I do not use the tv speakers at all. Kalla is connected to my kdsm via phono input.

My question is how would I integrate apple tv into my system so audio was handled by the Kalla, and at the same time the TV showed the picture.

PS I do have Sky Q with multi screen.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Flatcoat wrote: 2022-11-21 15:46 My question is how would I integrate apple tv into my system so audio was handled by the Kalla, and at the same time the TV showed the picture.
I use Apple TV with the TV and Hakai connecting via AirPlay. AppleTV is connected to the TV via HDMI, so source switching is done by the TV. I tell the AppleTV to send audio to Hakai - I assume it would be the same for Källa.

My Apple TV is connected via ethernet but I guess you could also use wifi.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It’s really easy! Simply connect the ATV to your TV using an HDMI cable. Select the HDMI input on your TV for the picture, then go to the audio settings on the ATV, select “Temporary Output”, then finally select Lejonklou/Källa from the drop down menu. Please let us know your thoughts!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Flatcoat - as you have Sky Multiroom , download the Sky Go app onto Apple TV then watch Sky using that. The Sky Q box is not used at all in this configuration.

Similarly use Apple TV for all other apps, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Paramount+ etc.

Apple TV supplies the picture (which is better quality than Sky if you are using apps through Sky Q) and sends the audio through Källa as Spannko has already explained.

One caveat to the better picture quality is that Apple TV can’t handle iPlayer UHD (and I also wonder whether it can show Sky programmes to their full potential if they’re HDR encoded, as both the Beeb and Sky use HLG encoding.)

Having said this I will shamefully admit that the theme tune to Only Connect sounds so much better from iPlayer on Apple TV through Källa than it does from iPlayer on my LG TV optical out through a Chord QuTest.
Last edited by macrotech2 on 2022-11-21 23:34, edited 3 times in total.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

And use WiFi for Apple TV. It sounds better than with a cable from the router/Mesh unit or from the switch.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Many thanks for all the advice. I have ordered an Apple TV 4K and will report back in the future how I am getting on with it.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Wondering if the 4K 2022/gen 3 model will sound better than the 4K gen 2 since the new one has the same A15 chip as the iPad Mini gen 6 :?

I seem to recall that the audio performance is (thought to be) dependent, primarily, on the modem rather than the chip, so not clear that all A15 Apple iDevices are 'equal' via AirPlay to Kalla...
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-11-21 18:09 Wondering if the 4K 2022/gen 3 model will sound better than the 4K gen 2 since the new one has the same A15 chip as the iPad Mini gen 6 :?

I seem to recall that the audio performance is (thought to be) dependent, primarily, on the modem rather than the chip, so not clear that all A15 Apple iDevices are 'equal' via AirPlay to Kalla...
If you look at the rankings here there doesn't seem to be any correlation between processor and performance. The top ranked device has an A15 processor but in second place is an A13, and the next appearance of an A15 powered device is in 8th place.

There's also an error in that listing. The iPad Pro 11" gen 3 used an A12X chip, the M1 showed up in the 5th generation.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That is correct. We have never seen any connection between the main processor model and how the unit performs musically.

I have tested the last two models of Apple TV and thought they sounded very alike.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Update on using Sky Go on Apple TV. Sadly, this link https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-App ... -p/4116853 indicates that the picture quality via Sky Go on Apple TV is not even full HD most of the time, so you may gain better sound but at the expense of seriously degraded video.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Flatcoat wrote: 2022-11-21 18:08 Many thanks for all the advice. I have ordered an Apple TV 4K and will report back in the future how I am getting on with it.
I tried an Apple TV 4K but have returned it to Apple. The main purpose would have been using Sky with it but the resultant picture quality was terrible which Macrotech had referred to.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Flatcoat wrote: 2022-12-04 11:47
Flatcoat wrote: 2022-11-21 18:08 Many thanks for all the advice. I have ordered an Apple TV 4K and will report back in the future how I am getting on with it.
I tried an Apple TV 4K but have returned it to Apple. The main purpose would have been using Sky with it but the resultant picture quality was terrible which Macrotech had referred to.
Sorry you didn’t get on with the ATV Flatcoat. Did you try any of the other TV streaming apps, like iPlayer? What about the sound through Källa compared to your DS, with the same feed to each? Also, I don’t know whether you’ve heard, there’s a software upgrade coming for the ATV which will allow it to play UHD at 120Hz, making it the highest quality TV streamer available (I think). Technology is changing so fast it’s hard to keep up!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Spannko wrote: 2022-12-04 13:56
Flatcoat wrote: 2022-12-04 11:47
Sorry you didn’t get on with the ATV Flatcoat. Did you try any of the other TV streaming apps, like iPlayer? What about the sound through Källa compared to your DS, with the same feed to each? Also, I don’t know whether you’ve heard, there’s a software upgrade coming for the ATV which will allow it to play UHD at 120Hz, making it the highest quality TV streamer available (I think). Technology is changing so fast it’s hard to keep up!
Yes, sorry to hear it didn’t go well Flatcoat.

IPlayer HDR format is HLG so no iPlayer UHD programmes are available on the Apple TV. Sound is better through Källa but at the expense of video quality again. Not an acceptable trade off for me on UHD material.
Kalle05

Post by Kalle05 »

When using Spotify and streaming via Airplay to Källa (and Linn DS) does the apple device and airplay convert the the mp3 file to an ALAC file ?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Kalle05 wrote: 2022-12-19 10:57 When using Spotify and streaming via Airplay to Källa (and Linn DS) does the apple device and airplay convert the the mp3 file to an ALAC file ?
AFAIK, Spotify convert Ogg Vorbis to 16/44 and Apple convert this for Airplay to ALAC.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
jajo

Post by jajo »

Kalle05 wrote: 2022-12-19 10:57 When using Spotify and streaming via Airplay to Källa (and Linn DS) does the apple device and airplay convert the the mp3 file to an ALAC file ?
When the audio data is sent to Källa, it is captured from the sound output where it has already been decoded to PCM. The connection is completely format insensitive. If an app can play audio through the computer/iPhone speakers, it can play it to Källa. Think of Källa as an external sound card connected through TCP/IP.
Kalle05

Post by Kalle05 »

Thanks for the answers.
So there is a double conversion of the "music file", first to pcm and then to alac,
now it is a bit more understandable why the controlpoint makes a difference.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Does anyone have experience if there is any noticable impact of a network Powerline adaptor being connected to the house mains power network on the performance of de Kalla? (or other components?)

Not that I will set-up my network like this, but I need a powerline adaptor to connect the ethernet cable with my solar panels hub since my wireless network does not reach to where the hub is placed in my house....
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Have you thought about the Ubiquiti mesh system, mitmu? It could solve your problem and improve the performance of your Källa too.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Mitmu wrote: 2023-04-03 12:44 Does anyone have experience if there is any noticable impact of a network Powerline adaptor being connected to the house mains power network on the performance of de Kalla? (or other components?)
I don’t have any recent experience, but remember from way back that a customer used an Ethernet-over-mains connection (which I think is what you’re referring to) and those really did a bad job on his Linn HiFi components. Everything just sounded worse when they were connected anywhere near the system. Perhaps such units are better today, but I sure would evaluate them by ear before deciding on them as a permanent solution.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-04-05 01:23
Mitmu wrote: 2023-04-03 12:44 Does anyone have experience if there is any noticable impact of a network Powerline adaptor being connected to the house mains power network on the performance of de Kalla? (or other components?)
I don’t have any recent experience, but remember from way back that a customer used an Ethernet-over-mains connection (which I think is what you’re referring to) and those really did a bad job on his Linn HiFi components. Everything just sounded worse when they were connected anywhere near the system. Perhaps such units are better today, but I sure would evaluate them by ear before deciding on them as a permanent solution.
I don't think this was me, but I was using Ethernet over mains with a Klimax DS, then a Vitus RD-101 before the magnificence of Källa arrived. The Ethernet over mains worked with Källa, until my wife plugged her laptop into the ethernet over mains plug upstairs, which caused Källa and other devices to disappear from Airplay. We confirmed this several times. So, avoid if you can.

I'm now using the Ubiquiti wireless route which works a treat and sounds better.