General Discussion about Källa

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by matthias »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-01-04 18:58 Just out of curiosity, has anybody testet Källa against Klimax DS3 with Katalyst yet?
AFAIK, Tony Tune-age tested Källa against Organik and found Källa superior.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Wow, I missed that. Thanks.
F
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

I see it was the dsm and not the ds, but never the lese its and organisk. I see its in this same page, so a bit of bad observation on my part. That T-t-a finds it that much better sounds absolutely amazing. Almost 5 times more expensive!
F
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

u252agz wrote: 2021-12-30 23:37
Discodave wrote: 2021-12-27 20:00 I expected the response you gave. Thanks. Im sure you will hold on to your lp12 but on the otherhand it may well be prudent to sell and use the funds to bolster another part of the chain. Or simply save the world :)
If I had not invested so much energy into my LP12 (Many man hours in researching/set up / further upgrades etc) and had so many sentimental memories attached to my ‘old vinyl records ‘) - I would definitely consider selling and using the funds to upgrade my KDS/2 to a second Kalla.

I have even kept my 1984 Rega Planar and Creek 4040 which I occasionally play in the loft for old times sake!

Sorry for late reply. I was playing devils advocate there. I completely share your outlook on vinyl. Indeed I have a vintage Rega 2 which I used in 2nd system until very recently.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Fred11 wrote: 2022-01-04 21:38 I see it was the dsm and not the ds, but never the lese its and organisk. I see its in this same page, so a bit of bad observation on my part. That T-t-a finds it that much better sounds absolutely amazing. Almost 5 times more expensive!
F
It is rather interesting. I should point out that there is no DS with Organik. The new Klimax Organik based unit is only available as a DSM, just with or without the HDMI card. In either case it is a preamp/streamer/DAC with multiple analog and digital inputs and a DVC based volume control.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Thank you, for clarifying, Thomas. Looking so much forward to getting my Källa, having just sold my two Linn Klimax Ds1!
Regards
F
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-27 20:48
lejonklou wrote: 2021-12-25 22:26
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-25 14:24 Here's to wishing everybody an enjoyable holiday, and good cheer! Our holiday began yesterday, when we drove to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a day of learning and listening. I was finally able to hear the Lejonklou Källa streamer, and the Linn Klimax DSM streamer. In addition, we were able to listen and compare the Källa streamer to an LP12 with a Kandid cartridge and Akurate Radikal power supply.

Overall, the Källa was very impressive from the start. It did not sound like a digital streamer, it was simple and very easy to use (unlike the Linn DSM unit). I've heard people say the Källa sounds like an analog device, and to my ears it does. It's very musical, and reveals subtle details with ease. And although the Linn DSM does sound really good, it doesn't sound as realistic or as musical as the Källa streamer. And unfortunately the Linn DSM is priced way above the Källa, approximately 4.875 times as much.

Comparing the Källa with the LP12 was more interesting to my ears. They were very similar sounding overall, however I did prefer the LP12 by a small margin. But that said the LP12 setup was more expensive than the Källa streamer, and it's not as simple to setup and use as the Källa either.
Forgive me for quoting your post in 'Me and My System' here Tony Tune-age. I just found it so inspiring.

Thank you for the report from your listening session at Overture Audio!
You're welcome Fredrik, it was a great opportunity to finally hear the Källa in person.

Happy New Year!
Dear Tony
May I ask how you connected the DSM and Källa? Did you use the DSM’s pre with both sources? Just very curious.
Regards
Fredrik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Both units were run through a Klimax Kontrol into Klimax Solos and Dynaudio Confidence 50 speakers. The DVC on the KDSMO was disabled. Cables were Linn Silver interconnects (balanced on the KDSMO and RCA on the Källa) and Linn new style K200 speaker cable with Knekt bananas (2.48 meter, soldered by me). Due mostly to the different cabling the volume had to be adjusted about 8dB when going back and forth, although a small volume difference exists when using both unbalanced.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Källa has been a game-changer for me. There's no point commenting on its sound, it's all about the music.

Analogue man has quietly left the stage...

I look back at my expenditure on new and re-issued vinyl, and weep. Then I look forward on my future lack of expenditure on vinyl and rejoice. And then I think of the music I've so far missed because it's not on vinyl. I'm rapidly catching up!

I will not be selling my LP12. I still have about a thousand pre-digital LPs. But for the first time in 45 years, it will not be my primary source.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-01-08 19:41 Both units were run through a Klimax Kontrol into Klimax Solos and Dynaudio Confidence 50 speakers. The DVC on the KDSMO was disabled. Cables were Linn Silver interconnects (balanced on the KDSMO and RCA on the Källa) and Linn new style K200 speaker cable with Knekt bananas (2.48 meter, soldered by me). Due mostly to the different cabling the volume had to be adjusted about 8dB when going back and forth, although a small volume difference exists when using both unbalanced.
Wow, great system and thorough testing!
Thank’s a lot.
F
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-01-08 19:41 Both units were run through a Klimax Kontrol into Klimax Solos and Dynaudio Confidence 50 speakers. The DVC on the KDSMO was disabled. Cables were Linn Silver interconnects (balanced on the KDSMO and RCA on the Källa) and Linn new style K200 speaker cable with Knekt bananas (2.48 meter, soldered by me). Due mostly to the different cabling the volume had to be adjusted about 8dB when going back and forth, although a small volume difference exists when using both unbalanced.
Thanks for explaining Thomas...
Tony Tune-age
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

David Neel wrote: 2022-01-08 21:03 Källa has been a game-changer for me. There's no point commenting on its sound, it's all about the music.

I look back at my expenditure on new and re-issued vinyl, and weep. Then I look forward on my future lack of expenditure on vinyl and rejoice. And then I think of the music I've so far missed because it's not on vinyl. I'm rapidly catching up!

I will not be selling my LP12. I still have about a thousand pre-digital LPs. But for the first time in 45 years, it will not be my primary source.

I could not agree more- I’m also keeping my LP12 mainly for sentimental reasons and the few excellent ( old) vinyl records I have

I am also not planning to buy any new vinyl records as so many are just not good enough.

Kalla has given me a new reference and made me so much more discerning about my vinyl collection.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

u252agz wrote: 2022-01-08 22:26
David Neel wrote: 2022-01-08 21:03 Källa has been a game-changer for me. There's no point commenting on its sound, it's all about the music.

I could not agree more- I’m also keeping my LP12 mainly for sentimental reasons and the few excellent ( old) vinyl records I have

I am also not planning to buy any new vinyl records as so many are just not good enough.

Kalla has given me a new reference and made me so much more discerning about my vinyl collection.
Thank you so much for sharing your impressions, David and u252agz! It really warms my heart.

Although it's likely irrelevant what I think, being partly responsible for the product, Källa has done the same for me as what you describe above. Last time I visited my local and rather excellent second hand record shop, I went there to sell some records that I felt I didn't need any more. The owner commented that I'd been absent for about a year and when I mentioned the digital project, he smiled and shook his head in disbelief, likely convinced it was just a phase.

There are some albums I certainly won't sell, though. Not just due to sentimental reasons, but because they are so far unsurpassed by anything digital. They are all old and perhaps there will never be a digital file reaching the same level of authenticity and raw nerve. And as SINGularity has taken a significant step up with version 1.5, they feel even more magical when I put them on.

But more than 90% of my listening is now through Källa. And although I haven't bought vinyl for a long time, I can certainly envision listening for instance to hard bop on Källa, finding an album that ticks all my boxes and then ask the Forum for advice on which vinyl pressing to get. And if I find that album at a reasonable price, I'll cherish it.

I'm hoping that the deliveries of Källa will soon be resumed. We lost a month of production due to illness and there's also been terrible shortages of cases and some components. But some parcels arrived this week, so it's looking hopeful. Thank you for your patience!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2022-01-08 21:30
Thanks for explaining Thomas...
+1, Thank you Thomas.
Music First ...
Vlado
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m sitting here reading everyone’s thoughts, listening to a random Spotify playlist on a Kallä/Boazu/Keilidh combo, and on comes Tinseltown in the Rain by the Blue Nile! It’s the most musical rendition I’ve heard since about 1985!

Just as a quick sanity check, I compared the Källa to my KDS/1 again yesterday. Seriously, the musical difference is HUGE! Way bigger than the difference between a Rega Planar 1 and an LP12? It’s hard to quantify because of the magnitude of the difference.

PS. Every random track on the playlist is really enjoyable to listen to. Road to Nowhere has just popped on. I’ve been trying to reproduce the vinyl’s drive and rhythm of the track like this for 25 years!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Trying to take a break from forums but really wanted to respond to this. It's a big deal to my mind.

I'm still slightly stunned by your near complete shift to digital. I think we all knew Kalla was special (and ground breaking for digital) but now you're living with it, it seems to really be doing what some here predicted, and what the CD12 promised all those years ago. Anyway, I'm especially pleased for Fredrik and co. We know he enjoys his job (for the most part) but there must have been some tough times and I hope behavioural changes like yours give him the motivation to move onto the next project, whatever that might be. I can't think of higher praise than tempting you away from your LP12 - that's just amazing.

Personally, I know the music should come first but I'm too attached to vinyl to let it go. I think if I enjoyed more modern artists then it might be different and Kalla is the only digital source I would consider.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

To me, Kalla has confirmed that the quality of the recording is everything ( after the abilities of the musician who did the performance of course).

Before - I always categorised digital recordings ( CD or streaming) into 'good' or 'bad' and avoided the latter on my Linn streamers/ CD players. With KDS (1 and 2) the good recordings were enjoyable but never 'gripping'.

Now I realise that many of these 'good' digital recordings on Spotify are actually 'great' and with Kalla give the thrill and hit of musicality that a good LP12 does with a good/great recording.

Unfortunately it has raised my bar of 'acceptable musicality' with my LP12 much higher and only the really great recordings ( invariably the older vinyl) seem to be getting played now.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-01-11 13:14 To me, Kalla has confirmed that the quality of the recording is everything...
Ain't that the truth :) I'm finding there are quite a few bad recordings, streams & stations out there, but there's so much (more) good in which Kalla effortlessly helps you hear the greatness - the digital world is your oyster & musical pearls sound wonderful...
(for the 'bad', it could also be that my 3677s, with their slightly lean presentation, are unforgiving of some 'brighter' recordings - still wondering whether 3/708s would address that & raise the "bar of 'acceptable musicality'" with my system...)

I don't know that I'd compare streaming vs LPs* - it feels to me like Kalla and LP12** complement each other perfectly: LP12 for older analog recordings and a hands-on listening session; Kalla for everything else. There's so much more available on streaming services, internet radio, audio books that make Kalla essential, absolutely essential, but there are original analog recordings that just aren't available 'online'...

* assuming you have analog recordings of particular personal &/or musical value
** or turntable of your choice

Charlie1 wrote: .. I'm too attached to vinyl to let it go...
There's still a place for that vinyl fetish Charlie1 ;) Kalla doesn't judge, but it is revealing :D
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

If the Kalla becomes your Soundmachine and you guys wanna get rid of your ol’ redundant turntable and vinyl collection……Soundmachine Reading will travel to you to act and collect.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-01-11 19:27 3677s, with their slightly lean presentation
...not in my room and on my stands :-)
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

matthias wrote: 2022-01-12 18:30
tokenbrit wrote: 2022-01-11 19:27 3677s, with their slightly lean presentation
...not in my room and on my stands :-)
Different system, room, ears, language ... and topic ;)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I don’t know how to ask/describe this properly, so Is Apple’s AirPlay link between the Källa and the WAP a link/no link type of connection or something on a weak link/strong link continuum? Im wondering if a link/no link connection would always sound the same or if a weak link/strong link connection would have an effect on Källa’s sound quality if the link wasn’t so good.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko wrote: 2022-01-13 22:45 I don’t know how to ask/describe this properly, so Is Apple’s AirPlay link between the Källa and the WAP a link/no link type of connection or something on a weak link/strong link continuum? Im wondering if a link/no link connection would always sound the same or if a weak link/strong link connection would have an effect on Källa’s sound quality if the link wasn’t so good.
I'm not sure I understand that. Can I have some of what you're ingesting?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m not sure I really understand the question either! Thinking about it more, the link between the control point and the WAP must be digital, so it’s more like DAB than fm (?). I’m guessing therefore that there is either a link, or not, and if there is a link, the link is of good quality, unlike fm, which is capable of a poor quality link.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

David Neel wrote: 2022-01-13 23:08
Spannko wrote: 2022-01-13 22:45 I don’t know how to ask/describe this properly, so Is Apple’s AirPlay link between the Källa and the WAP a link/no link type of connection or something on a weak link/strong link continuum? Im wondering if a link/no link connection would always sound the same or if a weak link/strong link connection would have an effect on Källa’s sound quality if the link wasn’t so good.
I'm not sure I understand that. Can I have some of what you're ingesting?
+1
Spannko, do you have a link for a better understanding of this topic?
Thanks
Matt