General Discussion about Källa

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by Azazello »

I downloaded Qobuz today and compared to Spotify. Maybe I did something wrong, or is the trial version is bad in some way (sounds like a poor marketing strategy to provide snippets of bad quality…)? But it was not even close, I wanted to turn it of immediately. Have compared Spotify and YouToube music before and that was still enjoyable even though I found Spotify to be clearly better. :)
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Any clips? Ta
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Discodave wrote: 2021-12-20 01:16 Any clips? Ta
1: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bNM1rQNRvABBEseX9

2: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5pZNASwwePyhS68z8

I started the "free trial" in order to be able to start from the beginning. Sounds much better than yesterday!
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Great, will report back when I get a chance. Ta
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Azazello wrote: 2021-12-20 09:57 I started the "free trial" in order to be able to start from the beginning. Sounds much better than yesterday!
Azazello,
what do you think now about musicality of Qobuz vs Spotify?
Thanks
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote: 2021-12-22 12:24 Azazello,
Thanks
To answer my own question, me and my family compared "April in Paris" from Sarah Vaughan on Spotify and Qobuz.
Qobuz was much better. It is a pity that Spotify do not want to launch Spotify HiFi.
Matt

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

matthias wrote: 2021-12-24 22:02
matthias wrote: 2021-12-22 12:24 Azazello,
Thanks
To answer my own question, me and my family compared "April in Paris" from Sarah Vaughan on Spotify and Qobuz.
Qobuz was much better. It is a pity that Spotify do not want to launch Spotify HiFi.
Is that on Källa? I still found Spotify to be better. Merry Christmas!!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Azazello wrote: 2021-12-25 00:26 Is that on Källa? I still found Spotify to be better. Merry Christmas!!
Latest Spotify desktop app vs Qobuz/Audirvana with Macbook Pro into USB-DAC
Merry Christmas to you too!
Matt

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

matthias wrote: 2021-12-25 06:08
Azazello wrote: 2021-12-25 00:26 Is that on Källa? I still found Spotify to be better. Merry Christmas!!
Latest Spotify desktop app vs Qobuz/Audirvana with Macbook Pro into USB-DAC
Merry Christmas to you too!
Ok. Then I guess it doesn’t mean much. Different everything. :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Since 026 arrived I've been using spotify, and have tried qobuz. Qobuz wins in hifi and detail, but sounds uninvolving compared with spotify.
On my Hakai, my LSNAS was more musical than spotify, which induced listening fatigue. With 026, my LSNAS is better than with Hakai, Spotify is more musical still, with zero listening fatigue. Go figure...

Or, just enjoy.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2021-12-25 17:17 Since 026 arrived I've been using spotify, and have tried qobuz. Qobuz wins in hifi and detail, but sounds uninvolving compared with spotify.
On my Hakai, my LSNAS was more musical than spotify, which induced listening fatigue. With 026, my LSNAS is better than with Hakai Spotify is more musical still, with zero listening fatigue. Go figure...
Fredrik has it figured ;)

Extension cord and cable optimizations to complete, prezzies permitting, but concur with DN, plus:
MicroConnect vs Blue Jeans: BJC
Switch PS, right vs wrong way round: painfully (& embarrassingly) obvious. (don't ask :$)
Hakai vs Källa: Hakai was musically fun, a great find & share, but Källa is. Just. Better. (as you'd expect) What's best is it's not in your face obvious; it's more fundamental than that...
Internet radio vs NAS vs Spotify: yes, enjoy all of them more with your Källa - they all just sound natural, rather than reproduction.

Happy Källa Christmas :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you tokenbrit and David Neel!
David Neel wrote: 2021-12-25 17:17 Since 026 arrived I've been using spotify, and have tried qobuz. Qobuz wins in hifi and detail, but sounds uninvolving compared with spotify.
On my Hakai, my LSNAS was more musical than spotify, which induced listening fatigue. With 026, my LSNAS is better than with Hakai, Spotify is more musical still, with zero listening fatigue. Go figure...

Or, just enjoy.
Interestingly, I agree completely with the quoted findings above. On a few tracks, I have found Qobuz to be overall better, but on most tracks I find Spotify more engaging. I never had an LSNAS, but agree with the conclusions using other NAS designs.
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-25 18:30 Switch PS, right vs wrong way round: painfully (& embarrassingly) obvious. (don't ask :$)
I have learned that in North America, the live pin on the power supply for the GS-108T switch appears to be the opposite of the European version.

Europe: Live pin is furthest away from the cord exiting the power supply.

North America: Live pin is closest to the cord exiting the power supply.

They could also be random, but there are quite a few findings that follow this pattern. In any case, the difference is very easy to tell, as it's just so much better one way than the other. You just need to unplug it, turn it around, plug it back in and wait for the switch to restart.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-25 14:24 Here's to wishing everybody an enjoyable holiday, and good cheer! Our holiday began yesterday, when we drove to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a day of learning and listening. I was finally able to hear the Lejonklou Källa streamer, and the Linn Klimax DSM streamer. In addition, we were able to listen and compare the Källa streamer to an LP12 with a Kandid cartridge and Akurate Radikal power supply.

Overall, the Källa was very impressive from the start. It did not sound like a digital streamer, it was simple and very easy to use (unlike the Linn DSM unit). I've heard people say the Källa sounds like an analog device, and to my ears it does. It's very musical, and reveals subtle details with ease. And although the Linn DSM does sound really good, it doesn't sound as realistic or as musical as the Källa streamer. And unfortunately the Linn DSM is priced way above the Källa, approximately 4.875 times as much.

Comparing the Källa with the LP12 was more interesting to my ears. They were very similar sounding overall, however I did prefer the LP12 by a small margin. But that said the LP12 setup was more expensive than the Källa streamer, and it's not as simple to setup and use as the Källa either.
Forgive me for quoting your post in 'Me and My System' here Tony Tune-age. I just found it so inspiring.

Thank you for the report from your listening session at Overture Audio!
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Even on Christmas Day..... the perfectionist must abide by his calling :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

In terms of comparing LP12 to Kalla, I find that where Spotify has the ‘same’ recording , there is not too much in it and I opt for Kalla as it is just quicker and easier - no extended warm up needed.

Once warmed up, like Tokenbrit, I probably have a slight preference for the LP12, but in practical terms just use Kalla for speed and convenience.

I have some vinyl albums which unfortunately are poor recordings and finding a good version on Spotify is the real game changer here.

So I mainly listen to Kalla and use My LP12 where I have great recordings which are not available on Spotify.

Quite a change from the KDS/2- never any question of using that when I had vinyl available.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Going forward how much time % wise do you think you would give to Kalla and LP12?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I think it is probably 80-90% Kalla now.

Previously with KDS/2 it was around 50% but crucially, there was never the same thrill with digital and it was a reluctant ‘go to’ when I did not have the vinyl available.

Now - it’s the same ( to all intents and purpose)engagement / enjoyment with Kalla as with LP12, and the vast online digital library means I spend more time listening to music than ever before.

The arrival of Kalla #017 has also led to me being less enthusiastic of buying new vinyl , as so many recordings these days, are simply just not good enough.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

I expected the response you gave. Thanks. Im sure you will hold on to your lp12 but on the otherhand it may well be prudent to sell and use the funds to bolster another part of the chain. Or simply save the world :)
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-12-25 22:26
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-25 14:24 Here's to wishing everybody an enjoyable holiday, and good cheer! Our holiday began yesterday, when we drove to Ann Arbor, Michigan for a day of learning and listening. I was finally able to hear the Lejonklou Källa streamer, and the Linn Klimax DSM streamer. In addition, we were able to listen and compare the Källa streamer to an LP12 with a Kandid cartridge and Akurate Radikal power supply.

Overall, the Källa was very impressive from the start. It did not sound like a digital streamer, it was simple and very easy to use (unlike the Linn DSM unit). I've heard people say the Källa sounds like an analog device, and to my ears it does. It's very musical, and reveals subtle details with ease. And although the Linn DSM does sound really good, it doesn't sound as realistic or as musical as the Källa streamer. And unfortunately the Linn DSM is priced way above the Källa, approximately 4.875 times as much.

Comparing the Källa with the LP12 was more interesting to my ears. They were very similar sounding overall, however I did prefer the LP12 by a small margin. But that said the LP12 setup was more expensive than the Källa streamer, and it's not as simple to setup and use as the Källa either.
Forgive me for quoting your post in 'Me and My System' here Tony Tune-age. I just found it so inspiring.

Thank you for the report from your listening session at Overture Audio!
You're welcome Fredrik, it was a great opportunity to finally hear the Källa in person.

Happy New Year!
Tony Tune-age
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-25 14:24 I was finally able to hear the Lejonklou Källa streamer, and the Linn Klimax DSM streamer. In addition, we were able to listen and compare the Källa streamer to an LP12 with a Kandid cartridge and Akurate Radikal power supply.
It is really nice to have the opportunity to compare Källa vs. KDSMO vs. LP12.
Matt

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

matthias wrote: 2021-12-27 21:00
Tony Tune-age wrote: 2021-12-25 14:24 I was finally able to hear the Lejonklou Källa streamer, and the Linn Klimax DSM streamer. In addition, we were able to listen and compare the Källa streamer to an LP12 with a Kandid cartridge and Akurate Radikal power supply.
It is really nice to have the opportunity to compare Källa vs. KDSMO vs. LP12.
That's very true indeed...and it was a great way to spend Christmas Eve!
Tony Tune-age
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I’ve jus turned off the NAS drive and about to pack it away. There’s just no need for it any more with Källa. The only time I’ve used it is for comparing to Qobuz and Qobuz is always better.

… until the Internet goes down of course, though I could download my favourites onto the iPad Mini to cover that.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-12-30 11:50 I’ve jus turned off the NAS drive and about to pack it away. There’s just no need for it any more with Källa.
u252agz wrote: 2021-12-27 13:17 Once warmed up, like Tokenbrit, I probably have a slight preference for the LP12, but in practical terms just use Kalla for speed and convenience.
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-27 13:17 What's best is it's not in your face obvious; it's more fundamental than that...
+1 to all
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Discodave wrote: 2021-12-27 20:00 I expected the response you gave. Thanks. Im sure you will hold on to your lp12 but on the otherhand it may well be prudent to sell and use the funds to bolster another part of the chain. Or simply save the world :)
If I had not invested so much energy into my LP12 (Many man hours in researching/set up / further upgrades etc) and had so many sentimental memories attached to my ‘old vinyl records ‘) - I would definitely consider selling and using the funds to upgrade my KDS/2 to a second Kalla.

I have even kept my 1984 Rega Planar and Creek 4040 which I occasionally play in the loft for old times sake!

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Happy New Year, all!
Just out of curiosity, has anybody testet Källa against Klimax DS3 with Katalyst yet?
Regards
F