General Discussion about Källa

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

Fred11

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by Fred11 »

Halsall is very meditative! Magic on Källa. It is very interesting how Källa makes new music so appealing. It makes you connect immediately and keep listening deeper into new and old music.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Having listened more to the Källa I find more and more that my Kdsr/1 sounds small and compressed compared to the Källa. The Källa really openes up the window to the recording and sucks out every note, beat and emotion. I think about Playing with it all the time: ) More than with my old and decent Lp12. Does anybody else have impressions to share?
Regards
Fredrik
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Fredrik!

I know exactly what you mean.

I had that experience today before shipping number 045. It was “resisting” me for two days, first being completed on Wednesday, sounding really nice but not gripping me completely like I know it should. When I measured it, the digital reference voltage was just below the specified range. I already knew that from hearing it, but it’s useful to hear it first and then confirm it with a measurement. (Going off on a tangent, this reminds me of how I, when working as a physiotherapist, really preferred to first meet a patient and later read their journal.)

On Thursday I replaced some components in 045 and it played music during the afternoon while I worked and had some visitors who seemed very impressed by it. But it still wasn’t quite reaching out and not letting me go, which is the quality I seek in every Källa. Then I measured it and again the digital reference voltage was just (one millivolt!) below the specification.

On Friday I had it rebuilt again and as it warmed up I could sense the difference in the air. No need to choose a particular song, it was evident from anything it played; classical, punk, electro, blues - I just didn’t want it to stop. When I finally measured it at five p.m, it was like I expected spot on. I played one last song, then another and then another, it just wouldn’t let me go. I arrived at the post office (which is just two blocks away) two minutes before they closed.

This has been my experience with every Källa before I’ve shipped it. It won’t let me go. Then I know it’s ready. And the measurements have so far always confirmed my initial experience.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

I really love the way you use yourself as an instrument, Fredrik. In psychology, were I am from, as well as hifi, the introduction of ‘objective’ measures instead of the therapists listening and emotional response to the patients story has led the field of psychology astray and away from the person, subjectivity, emotion and real human contact. I think it is the same with your products, Fredrik, they are truly genuine, human, emotional communicators.
Fredrik
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Just connected a iPhone 11 instead of my old XR. The 11 is truly better! It is more natural sounding.
F
pär

Post by pär »

First of all, I want to thank the källa team. Who really came up with a fantastic product.
What a wonderful machine källa is.The music really flows without resistance. Everything sounds so natural and relaxed. Had my granddaughter here during this weekend she is four she danced and danced to the music. How awesome it is when good music affect us all .. It doesn’t matter if you are 4 or 47 :) Its impossible to compare my old mds with källa its not in the same universe :)
Happy owner of källa sn 46 :)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

pär wrote: 2022-05-31 16:19 First of all, I want to thank the källa team. Who really came up with a fantastic product.
What a wonderful machine källa is.The music really flows without resistance. Everything sounds so natural and relaxed. Had my granddaughter here during this weekend she is four she danced and danced to the music. How awesome it is when good music affect us all .. It doesn’t matter if you are 4 ore 47 :) Its impossible to compare my old mds with källa its not in the same universe :)
Brilliant. Congratulations.

PS over 47 year-olds too ;)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I am so pleased to hear that you are happy, pär!

Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your impressions of Källa!
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

pär wrote: 2022-05-31 16:19 First of all, I want to thank the källa team. Who really came up with a fantastic product.
What a wonderful machine källa is.The music really flows without resistance. Everything sounds so natural and relaxed. Had my granddaughter here during this weekend she is four she danced and danced to the music. How awesome it is when good music affect us all .. It doesn’t matter if you are 4 or 47 :) Its impossible to compare my old mds with källa its not in the same universe :)
Sounds amazing! Happy for you.
Primare Np5 & NP30, Genki, Boazu, Ninka w. Poly. st., ICs: Linn Si & bl incl. dig, tt TD46,
pär

Post by pär »

For the moment I have nothing to listen to waiting for a pair of jbl 308 mk1. With two 310 jbl subs .. Thought the Källa announced this. Hope for some fun times ahead. Have also ordered three pairs of bliue jeans 6a .. Now I will just fix some Linn silver to sew it together. I thinking I need 6 mounts to tune everything together afterwards😖. The Jbl 308 is new so some painful hours of breaking in is needed..
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

pär wrote: 2022-06-07 21:20 For the moment I have nothing to listen to waiting for a pair of jbl 308 mk1. With two 310 jbl subs .. Thought the Källa announced this. Hope for some fun times ahead. Have also ordered three pairs of bliue jeans 6a .. Now I will just fix some Linn silver to sew it together. I thinking I need 6 mounts to tune everything together afterwards😖. The Jbl 308 is new so some painful hours of breaking in is needed..
Congratulations! Sounds like you are going to have a very exciting system musically. Have fun!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

A simple question:

How do you turn the Kalla on ?

I had the Kalla working at first in my system playing via Airplay from Spotify. I then turned it off in the Kalla software. But now, airplay does not find it and the software page is blank. In all this I have not touched the on off switch after initially switching it on when I first got Kalla.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You do exactly as you did the first time.

Network up and running,
Ethernet cable connected to Källa,
Power cord connected to Källa,
Analogue out connected to your powered up system,
Switch on Källa and wait for the startup sound.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, I didn’t read your post carefully enough!

You powered down Källa through the user interface.
That should be followed by switching it off with the rear power switch.
When you switch the rear power switch back on, Källa starts again.

As it seems you didn’t touch the power switch after the user interface power down, you will now need to switch it first off and then back on.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

All working now - many thanks.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

I have now had the Kalla for a week now and all I can say it is absolutely stunning. It just makes you to want to listen to music on it. I should say that at present, the Kalla is connected straight to my Sky boadband hub just using a run of the mill ethernet cable. The IP address is also not fixed. Maybe this is all wrong but it just sounds so good as it is. I am using Spotify as the source.

The Kalla feeds into my next generation Linn KDSM hub which is Exakt linked to my Katalyst Akubarik speakers.

The Kalla is resulting in the best sounds I have ever heard. It will not mean that I will not play Spotify direct on the DSM hub as that is pretty amazing.

For me it is a pity that you can not turn the Kalla back on with the software and have to access the mains switch to do so. Also, if you like to surf the internet while listening to music you really need a second IOS tablet as you soon lose the music if you leave the Spotify page. I am fortunate to have an iPad mini 6 and a Pro 11. I just use the Mini 6 for the Kalla and using a split screen I can have Spotify on one half and the Linn app on the other which gives me volume control.
ekay2012

Post by ekay2012 »

Download the Spotify app on your iPad, do not use a webpage to stream. The Spotify app will run in the background and I have never had an issue browsing the internet. As far as the switch goes, I don’t find it a big deal, I only power down the Källa if I’m leaving for more than a couple days, it is always on otherwise.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ekay2012 wrote: 2022-08-19 00:49 Download the Spotify app on your iPad, do not use a webpage to stream. The Spotify app will run in the background and I have never had an issue browsing the internet.
+1, further the app provides better SQ than the web player.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Flatcoat wrote: 2022-08-18 14:56 I have now had the Kalla for a week now and all I can say it is absolutely stunning. It just makes you to want to listen to music on it. I should say that at present, the Kalla is connected straight to my Sky boadband hub just using a run of the mill ethernet cable. The IP address is also not fixed. Maybe this is all wrong but it just sounds so good as it is. I am using Spotify as the source.

The Kalla feeds into my next generation Linn KDSM hub which is Exakt linked to my Katalyst Akubarik speakers.

The Kalla is resulting in the best sounds I have ever heard. It will not mean that I will not play Spotify direct on the DSM hub as that is pretty amazing.

For me it is a pity that you can not turn the Kalla back on with the software and have to access the mains switch to do so. Also, if you like to surf the internet while listening to music you really need a second IOS tablet as you soon lose the music if you leave the Spotify page. I am fortunate to have an iPad mini 6 and a Pro 11. I just use the Mini 6 for the Kalla and using a split screen I can have Spotify on one half and the Linn app on the other which gives me volume control.
Thank you Flatcoat!

I got very inspired by your post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Flatcoat wrote: 2022-08-18 14:56 For me it is a pity that you can not turn the Kalla back on with the software and have to access the mains switch to do so. Also, if you like to surf the internet while listening to music you really need a second IOS tablet as you soon lose the music if you leave the Spotify page. I am fortunate to have an iPad mini 6 and a Pro 11. I just use the Mini 6 for the Kalla and using a split screen I can have Spotify on one half and the Linn app on the other which gives me volume control.
Regarding using the Turn Off button on the Källa’s web interface, I thought I’d might clear up a misunderstanding.

What Turn Off does is stop the computer in Källa. The power supply is still running and consuming power, although slightly less. So it’s not a standby feature, it’s only intended to be used when you have decided to switch Källa off with the power button.

Regarding running Spotify from a browser, ekay2012 and Matthias are correct when they recommend using the Spotify app instead. It sounds better and you can do anything you like on the iPad, the music just keeps playing.

I would also recommend you check the settings in the Spotify app, as has been mentioned in other threads.

Under Playback:
Gapless Playback is good to have on.
Enable Audio Normalization should be off (it digitally adjust the volume of tracks so that they play equally loud, which is bad for musicality).
Equalizer should be turned off.
Autoplay is how I discover a lot of great songs I’ve never heard of before.

Under Audio Quality:
Streaming should be set to Very High.
Flatcoat

Post by Flatcoat »

Thanks for the reply. Spotify did have audio normalisation on so I have switched it off.

I still can not believe how good the Kalla is in my system - by far the biggest upgrade I have ever experienced in over 30 years of running top end Linn systems. I have had the Kalla for 3 weeks and have not listened to ‘music’ on my next gen KDSM hub. It is still used for radio and TV/Sky/Bluray.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It’s great to hear that you’re enjoying your Källa, Flatcoat! Did you know that there’s now a SkyGo app for Apple TV? It means that you can now port every channel on your Sky package through Källa.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Thanks Spannko. I was very excited to hear this until I read that you need to pay extra for Sky Multiscreen to use it. 😠
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Ahh, sorry. I didn’t know that. I was surprised that the rob-dogs at Sky were being so generous by opening up the platform. I should have known better!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

No worries. If you’re already paying for multiroom it’s fantastic news.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2