Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by lejonklou »

You beat me to it!

Well done!

You hear any difference?
ekay2012

Post by ekay2012 »

Ha, thank you for your help. As far as the temperature, I moved it a foot on the shelf- it was sitting above (not on top) of a hot class A amplifier. Temperature is now 72.6.

As far as the sound goes, yes I do believe I hear an improvement (I wish I had the terms to describe). I need to go pick my son up from daycare but am having a hard time stepping away from the music :)

I look forward to my "new" music, thank you 👍.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Excellent, thank you!

I hope you enjoy number 028, Elliott!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Welcome to the forum, Elliot! I'm glad you got that worked out and that you are enjoying Källa 028. Don just sold another one and is keeping Fredrik and I busy. Have fun!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

I have assigned Källa a fixed IP address. Yesterday and today I listened to music.
Later I disconnected Källa from the power supply, hard power switch, without shutting down the device. After switching it on, it does not connect again. It is also no longer visible in the router.

I have tried this:
Källa off - on
network cable from the router to Källa without a switch
Router off - on
without success

What can I do?
MDSM3 / Netgear GS 108T-200 / BJC Cat 6a / K200 (Lejonklou Cut K400) /
M140
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Eli7 wrote: 2022-02-23 22:07 I have assigned Källa a fixed IP address. Yesterday and today I listened to music.
Later I disconnected Källa from the power supply, hard power switch, without shutting down the device. After switching it on, it does not connect again. It is also no longer visible in the router.

I have tried this:
Källa off - on
Router off - on
without success

What can I do?
Get an app like Fing onto your phone, so that you can see ALL network connected devices. This should give you Källa's IP address, then you can log into it from the browser. Yes, I've been puzzled why visibility via the router can disappear.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

It's possible that Källa will switch back to DHCP when it finds it cannot connect via the static IP. This may result in it being allocated a different IP than previously.

The router can be slow to report a newly connected device, and also for a while can show as currently connected a device that is actually no longer connected. I have a collection of routers and found that their lists of connected devices are not reliable.

I also use a phone app to check for all the connected devices (Net Analyzer). This seems more reliable than my routers, although I've noticed that using the app to repeatedly scan the network for connected devices can cause the wifi router to close and reopen the wifi channel.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Eli7 wrote: 2022-02-23 22:07 I have assigned Källa a fixed IP address. Yesterday and today I listened to music.

I have tried this:
Källa off - on
Router off - on
without success

What can I do?
When you switch on Källa, do you get the startup melody in the speakers?
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

No. No melody.
M140
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

I have now used the IP Network Scanner. Källa does not appear there either.
M140
Eli7

Post by Eli7 »

First of all, thank you very much for trying to help me.

Källa was visible as an unused connection, but could not establish a connection. The connection in the browser with the fixed IP also no longer worked.

One more thing. After a lot of nerve-racking trial and error yesterday, I removed Källa as a device in the router. In the hope that the switch to DHCP would happen automatically again.
Wihout success.

For now, I'm listening to music again with Majik DSM. Without music it is no life for me . The connection works.

Is there anything else I can do to persuade Källa to play music?
M140
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm sorry you're having trouble, Eli7.

If Källa isn't giving you a melody when it starts, something is wrong. I don't think I can do any more from a distance, so the best thing is that it returns to the lab where it was born for inspection. If you email me at info@lejonklou.com, I will arrange for a courier to pick it up and bring it here.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Eli7's Källa has been repaired and shipped back to him. It's the first Källa to have a problem, and I learned something important from it. This is the story - and it's an important one for every Källa owner, so please read!
  • Jajo told me long ago that it's important to shut down Källa with Turn off at the bottom of the web interface before you switch off the mains power.
  • I felt a little skeptical about this, as nothing had ever happened when I simply power it down with the power switch. And I did this many, many times during the development.
  • Jajo said it's wise to tell people to do that anyway, because there is a very small chance that Källa is writing something critical at the exact same time as the power disappears.
  • I continued to switch off every Källa without using Turn off and nothing ever happened. It just started again when power was returned. It must have been done hundreds of times.
  • Eli7's Källa had a memory corruption, which prevented it from starting. This happened after it was shut down with the power switch, without first pressing Turn off on the web interface. Eli7's misfortune proved that Jajo was correct in his warning!
  • I will from now on add a paper in the black box of each Källa, reminding people to power their Källa down the safe way. See below!
Power down.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

What happens in the event of a power cut?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Well, if you read what I wrote above, you can pretty much figure out what happens.

I’ve been doing nothing but power cuts until now.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Finally the Källa 44 was picked up and met its perfect partner, which seems like a marriage made in heaven, the Boazu. I am running it with Danish Jern 12 ws speakers. I usually run a Krds/1 and lp12 which I actually sold to free funds to buy Källa😱The AMPLIFI HD, 108t and fixed ip-adress was all set. I started playing different favorites. I am a fan of indie-rock and started with Asgeirs interpretation of the Nationals ‘I should live in salt’. The music was incredibly tactile and easy to understand. Every layer is laid out and at the same time put together into a whole. The intimate feeling of Asgeirs piano playing and singing, a very close mic and incredible mix was laid out in a very emotional manner. I kept testing different styles of music, from jazz to rock. Every song was beautifully rendered. The Källa seems to display every song in its ver particular manner, beeing both very transparent and presenting new layers of music never heard before, earlier to difficult to discern clearly. Being a psychologist and therapist one of my topic of interest is emotional communication between humans. What makes authentic emotional expression possible? It is really interesting how the Källa is able to communicate emotions through music. Very moving and makes you feel connected with the artist and message. Thank you so much Fredrik for ‘giving life back to music’ for me and my family(daft Punk).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

So far the Källa outplays Linn KRDS-1 drives cicles around it, but that is no surprise and does not make ds1 bad. It is also outplaying lp12 which consisted of lingo 4-New Karousel-kore-naim Aro-adikt-Slipsik 7.1, on the Tracks I have been able to test. Perhaps the lp12 has a Little bit more weight, but the Källa is more musical and revealing. Perhaps I have som old records like my go-to tune Walking in the rain by Grace Jones on an old 80’s great press. I will test the tune on the Källa today…
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

So, did the Källa with Spotify play the Walking in the rain by Grace Jones on a nice Vinyl-version? Yes!
We had Sunday dinner with my parents, I am in the beginning of my 40s. My father is an old hippie who loves music. We went through some old prog favorites, Savagre Rose, Nationalteatern, Terje Rypdal etc. We were quite moved by the music. My father had and old favorite, the Apple Stretching by Grace Jones. Our jaws dropped when we started playing it. I could also see my fathers eyes was watery, the music probably touched some old memories and feelings, and we were just awed by how great the Källa, Boazu and Jern was playing. It is so effortless and musical. We went to walking in the rain and compared to my old lp12 (from memory) it was not close. Of course I only used it with an adikt, so perhaps with a Krystal it would have fared better, but oh my god, it plays so musical. We tried Prince, Sign of Times, (arguably the most genius minimalistic pop-track ever made) was the best I have ever heard it. I played it recently with my LP12 and remember very well. Roxy Music- we were drawn into their first album and topped it with 2HB. Just magic.
Thanks again, Fredrik.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

seems there is another fan of the Källa ;) congratulation to your purchase and enjoy - have you been the one who put a wooden skin around your JBL‘s or do I mix people up?
If yes what happened to the JBLs
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Fred11 for your fantastic feedback!

Reading your three posts really made me happy.

I received emails from several of the other enthusiasts who received their Källa in April, I wish I could post them here. It seems that somewhere in between 10 and 20% of people who own my products are willing to participate in forums. I am thankful to all of you who do share your impressions, and I understand those who don't want to.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Hi! Yes, I am the 308-carpenter. I have two boazu-Jern setups. Jern-LK was my first introduction to LK and it made very strong impression (At Ågrens hifi in Gothenborg). I then read about 308s and I Linn-dealer in Oslo who carpented his 308s by a professional carpenter. It cost quite a lot but looked and sounded very nice. Having carpenting as a hobby I had to try by myself. I made the 308s and tried a lot of configurations my wife and also myself is not huge fans of dominating hifi, so even though the 308s looked nice now high stands was out of the question. I built low ones, tilted like Klipsch Heresey and went head to head with Boazu-Jern. The 308 has more punch but the Jern-boazu was more musical, by far. But as Fredrik pointed out I must try decent stands to grasp the 308s potential. I have the 308 carpented in my loft, ready for a party to play loud. I should someday try them on stands as well. There is some Linn 109 stands in Oslo quite cheap so I might in the near future buy them and try them, now also with the Källa: )
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

Well deserved, Fredrik!
This must be a breakthrough in digital replay. Naim and Linn must be quite stressed…
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

No big comparisons here but I thought I'd comment a little bit. I keep the Källa playing during the day for Lily with mixes of either classical or mellow jazz from playlists curated by Spotify. Last night I was about mute the system so I could go meditate but the piece of music playing just caught me and made me sit down and listen. It was by Matthew Halsall on his album "colour yes" and the track was "Together". It was very peaceful and beautiful and spoke to my heart in a way I am not used to digital doing. I just had to listen to the whole track. I haven't heard the rest of the album but I intend to.

While at it I decided to do one comparison: testing the direction the AmplifiHD was plugged in to see if it could get even better. It didn't, I already had it plugged in the right way which was with the wire going in the same direction as the ground connector of the socket, what I would call right side up. I had made one change a couple of weeks ago which was to move the plug down one socket away from the Netgear plug so that there would be room to flip it over. I haven't tested it but later it made me wonder if it might sound better if it was spaced away from the Netgear plug rather than right next to it. Since both units use power supplies built into the plug (a wall wart as we call them) I could see that there might be interference when close together. I wondered if anybody had tried this. I didn't yesterday as I needed to meditate, eat, play with the puppy and go to bed.

Anyway, another example of how musical a piece the Källa is. Thanks, Fredrik.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-05-04 22:45 .. peaceful and beautiful and spoke to my heart in a way I am not used to digital doing...

.. another example of how musical...
Källa count the ways? It's untroubled but arresting, subtle yet striking - it's doesn't sound digital; just naturally, assuredly, effortlessly, essentially musical.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-05-05 03:31
ThomasOK wrote: 2022-05-04 22:45 .. peaceful and beautiful and spoke to my heart in a way I am not used to digital doing...

.. another example of how musical...
Källa count the ways? It's untroubled but arresting, subtle yet striking - it's doesn't sound digital; just naturally, assuredly, effortlessly, essentially musical.
This is where I would use a thumbs up.
The LP12 Whisperer