General Discussion about Källa

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

General Discussion about Källa

Post by mrco99 »

Posts not related to Källa shipping have been split from the Källa is now Shipping thread and placed here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sm1l5exhvz3p ... d.mp4?dl=0

First video, so bear with me :-P
No iPhone quality yet - but shot on Samsung A52.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by tokenbrit »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-01 22:28 https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sm1l5exhvz3p ... d.mp4?dl=0

Looking & sounding good. Thanks mrco99. It's a little quiet playing the clip on my phone, but sounds very... 'natural' :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

That is sounding really nice, Marco! Now I'm even more excited to get mine after hearing what it is doing with that track. Nice photos too, thanks.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Pierre@headonist

Post by Pierre@headonist »

I am preparing to host a Källa. Means, I already have an SOtM switch Special edition + PS in SE in my showroom setup. Expecting a second identical SOtM combo to place aside the router or cascade with the first one. So, looking forward tp the second batch to treat my self with a Källa.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Is the SOtM switch really more musical than a Netgear GS-108T? From the descriptions and testimonials online I feel very skeptical about that. I would also add that in my experience, cascading switches makes the sound worse, not better.

I strongly recommend that Källa is connected the way we recommend it. That means no audiophile nonsense products (power conditioners, power cords and strips, purifiers, dampers, etc, etc). Nothing would make me more sad than to hear one sounding really weird and unmusical due to the owner having bought expensive "enhancements" for it.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-02 11:11 Is the SOtM switch really more musical than a Netgear GS-108T? From the descriptions and testimonials online I feel very skeptical about that. I would also add that in my experience, cascading switches makes the sound worse, not better.

I strongly recommend that Källa is connected the way we recommend it. That means no audiophile nonsense products (power conditioners, power cords and strips, purifiers, dampers, etc, etc). Nothing would make me more sad than to hear one sounding really weird and unmusical due to the owner having bought expensive "enhancements" for it.
+1
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-01 22:16 The system is Källa - Sagatun Mono - Tundra Prototyp - Graham BBC 3/5 - Linn silver ICs and 2.48m K200
It's a tight space atm but we're busy creating more room to allow a better speaker placement.
a Tundra Prototyp?
Pierre@headonist

Post by Pierre@headonist »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-02 11:11 Is the SOtM switch really more musical than a Netgear GS-108T? From the descriptions and testimonials online I feel very skeptical about that. I would also add that in my experience, cascading switches makes the sound worse, not better.

Never tested the Netgear, so I can't say. As far as the SOtM, it has solved the recurrent problem of veiled restitution when my streamer was connected to the router, whatever the streaming platforms, even with filtering / good quality RJ45 cable. In addition, local playback via the SOtM switch has left sibilance behind. Music now sounds more analogic, more "liquid", more relaxed with natural legato. So, yes, more musical.

The second switch is for test. I too have read feedbacks saying that stacking switches could make the sound experience too dry, with notes decaying too fast. Some others have experienced more musical and spatial playback. Let's test it. I am more in a try mode. That saying, I do think that conditioners, purifiers, dampers and all can make the music sounds like crap without an inch of soul.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-01 22:28 https://www.dropbox.com/s/6sm1l5exhvz3p ... d.mp4?dl=0

Wouldn't normally make a judgement on a single clip and also not sure what everybody else is hearing but this track has very little of the groove it should have.What are the cymbals doing ,they're usually stoking the engine at this point,they seem lost It's definitely not Spotify not Samsung .Stewards enquiry me thinks.My money's on the speaker stands.
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lego wrote: 2021-10-02 19:25 Wouldn't normally make a judgement on a single clip and also not sure what everybody else is hearing but this track has very little of the groove it should have.What are the cymbals doing ,they're usually stoking the engine at this point,they seem lost It's definitely not Spotify not Samsung .Stewards enquiry me thinks.My money's on the speaker stands.
Agree, never heard "So What" from Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" in this way, something is wrong.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Lego wrote: 2021-10-02 19:25

Wouldn't normally make a judgement on a single clip and also not sure what everybody else is hearing but this track has very little of the groove it should have.What are the cymbals doing ,they're usually stoking the engine at this point,they seem lost It's definitely not Spotify not Samsung .Stewards enquiry me thinks.My money's on the speaker stands.
+1

No audible tape hiss was a major clue for me - the master tape was known to have hiss. Granted I own the only digital version I think sounds as it should (which, for me, is a major NAS plus point - curating a music collection) but the track sounded average at best to me. I played it on my system two streamer here immediately after and was sure something was awry with the clip posted. But mrco99 did say it was an early clip.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I do not think something is wrong with Källa, jajo's vids were brilliant.

Matt
Matt

kampak

Post by kampak »

wow, @marco… that sounds very convincing
Linn-Lejonklou-Kudos
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-02 19:50 …never heard "So What" from Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" in this way,…
I agree. Except I liked it a lot; much more than the jajo clips.

When I first heard it earlier over my iPhone, I was struck how “real” it sounded. It was as though a live band were playing, not a recording.

I just played it again over a Naim/Kan system several more times. I understand what Fredrick means by, “It will bring new insights into your old favourites.”

Have you ever been walking down the street in a city, and you hear a PA system playing off in the distance? As you get closer, you realize it is a live band before seeing; not a recording. There are telltale signs like timbre, rhythm, and following the tune. Källa does this.

Marco was holding his phone in such a way that it was causing it to pick up all his movements and breathing. The sound was also a bit distorted. I find placing a piece of clear cellophane tape over the microphone and gently poking with a toothpick will pull dirt out. It also sounded like his hand was partially cupping the microphone, giving it a hollow sound.

There is plenty of tape hiss there. It is masked by Marco noise which didn’t disturb me.

It is worth pointing out that four of us that liked the clip are quite familiar with Lejonklou amps/Harmonihyllan racks, and like it. The three who disliked the clip aren’t.

Källa+Sagatun+Tundra+Harmonihyllan =live, real, insightful.

Ron The Mon
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-10-03 01:22
matthias wrote: 2021-10-02 19:50 …never heard "So What" from Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" in this way,…
The three who disliked the clip aren’t.

Ron The Mon
I didn't dislike the clip. This forum is source first beginning with the music masters. To my ears the clip doesn't portray the source very well.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2021-10-03 01:43
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-10-03 01:22
The three who disliked the clip aren’t.

Ron The Mon
I didn't dislike the clip. This forum is source first beginning with the music masters. To my ears the clip doesn't portray the source very well.
…the track sounded average at best to me…, and was sure something was awry with the clip posted.
I am sorry that I put words into your mouth, but that means “dislike” to me. I hear nothing wrong with the source, only the poor recording.

Listen again, there is also the proper amount of tape hiss.
Granted I own the only digital version I think sounds as it should.
You can also play your NAS copied songs with the Spotify computer app. You can add them into other Spotify playlists. The Spotify player sounds really good.

Which exact version is that? Marco also left out which Apple product he was streaming with and what app. Are you assuming Spotify wouldn’t want to use the best version, especially for Kind Of Blue?

I have been listening to that song and record for many, many decades. That short clip, even as poorly recorded as it was, gave me insight into the song I hadn’t heard before. I find that far better than average and the only thing awry is how I’m going to afford one.

Ron The Mon
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-10-03 03:48 Are you assuming Spotify wouldn’t want to use the best version, especially for Kind Of Blue?
Spotify offer two versions:

Kind Of Blue from 1959
Kind Of Blue (Legacy Edition) from 2008

Matt
Matt

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Really really good.
Like listening live band, unplugged ...
Especially in wing instruments ...
Music First ...
Vlado
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

@Marco
Sorry, no offense intended, probably my "reviewer skills" were compromised by the nice Chianti I sipped yesterday.......

BTW, did you use Spotify?
If yes, which version of Kind Of Blue did you play?
And which CP?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi all, thanks for all your comments.
It seems my very first clip already created some controverse....!

Yes Matt - all tracks are being played with Spotify.
Yesterday I arranged some more space and repositioned the speakers.
Control point is iPhone 6 - I know.....didn't even made it on Fredriks list of recommended components - so there's definitely room for improvement there.
iPhone 11 on order but not in yet.

Will post another clip later today so at least you can judge and compare whether it's an improvement over the first one.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Ok, so here is movie 2 - extended version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/plyz43j1x4qgi ... 0.mp4?dl=0
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

On Spotify I can either play the 'Kind of Blue Legacy Edition' or the original (?) one.
I choose the latter - so just 'Kind of Blue'.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-03 12:34 On Spotify I can either play the 'Kind of Blue Legacy Edition' or the original (?) one.
I choose the latter - so just 'Kind of Blue'.
The original(?) is my preferred one as well.
Please, can you record the third track "Blue in Green" too, my all time favorite Jazz track.(if possible)?
Would be extremely nice.
Thank you

Matt
Matt

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Matt, will try that later tonight as I'm currently outdoors.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

mrco99 wrote: 2021-10-03 14:09 Hi Matt, will try that later tonight as I'm currently outdoors.
Hmm. Amsterdam: I'm guessing not Mountaineering. Cycling?
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks