General Discussion about Källa

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

jajo

Re: General Discussion about Källa

Post by jajo »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-10-14 16:30
jajo wrote: 2021-10-14 15:41 AES3 is more compelling for music data transfer because of the "differential manchester encoding" that allows clock signal and data to be sent in the same stream.
I understand that AirPlay uses UDP to transport RTSP. But it doesn't use AES3 or differential Manchester encoding, does it? That applies at Layer 1 (physical) of the transport stack, well below the AirPlay protocol. Music timing is transported in the RTSP protocol. Or was your reference to AES3 not relevant to Källa?
My reference had nothing to do with Källa but rather alternatives to AoE that ”could” have a better end result.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I am always very impressed with the knowledge base on the forum regarding Digital systems and to be honest dont even understand Analogue systems too well.

However - the only thing that really matters to me is musical performance ( and with digital, ease of use and reliability.)

SInce using the active 308p speakers I have learned to cast aside my prejudices against digital playback systems and am happy to give everything an opportunity to prove me wrong.

I would love to hear more comparisions or clips of Kalla vs other streamers.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thank you sunbeamgls!

Firstly for your kind words about my system. It was a very rushed visit, and when you asked me later a couple of questions about the music, I was offline.

So a couple of detail corrections! The more observant among you will have read that I have a Sagatun mono and 2x Tundra monos. Sunbeam forgot the other Sagatun mono! :-)
The AK Radikal is a /1. And the IP address was fixed. But enough of being pedantic...

The Tord Gustavsen comparison was not between Lp12 and Spotify, but between LSNAS and Spotify. That album is not available on vinyl. I think I'm right in saying that was the only LSNAS track used, so I'll correct my post upstream to reflect this.

And secondly thank you for the extensive descriptions of what you heard via my system, with which I concur.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

David Neel wrote: 2021-10-14 18:33 Thank you sunbeamgls!

Firstly for your kind words about my system. It was a very rushed visit, and when you asked me later a couple of questions about the music, I was offline.

So a couple of detail corrections! The more observant among you will have read that I have a Sagatun mono and 2x Tundra monos. Sunbeam forgot the other Sagatun mono! :-)
The AK Radikal is a /1. And the IP address was fixed. But enough of being pedantic...

The Tord Gustavsen comparison was not between Lp12 and Spotify, but between LSNAS and Spotify. That album is not available on vinyl. I think I'm right in saying that was the only LSNAS track used, so I'll correct my post upstream to reflect this.

And secondly thank you for the extensive descriptions of what you heard via my system, with which I concur.
Than you David - I will update my post.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

David Neel wrote: 2021-10-14 18:33
But enough of being pedantic...
I suspect that this won't age too well...

:D
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
jim123

Post by jim123 »

Sunbeams,

Is the Kalla good enough to make you consider moving away from Exakt (I have an Exakt system too)
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

I can't say that really. As per earlier posts there are too many variables and it really needs a full Kalla/analogue stack vs a full Exakt stack into the same speakers that work for both systems (Kudos; Ninka; LS5/9 as examples), both with all the ancillaries best optimsed for each.
I would say that's highly unlikely to be something that's going to happen.

I don't feel that my system lacks emotional engagement, otherwise I wouldn't spend so many hours enjoying its music playing every week. I haven't been left with a desperate need to make such a fundamental shift.

May be more time and more opportunity to tune end to end would make a difference. Having heard NGKDSM analogue into Tundra 2.5 and the PMCs, it would be very interesting to compare that with Kalla / Sagatun Monos.

Kalla is an extremely good product. But evolving a system involves a starting point amongst many other factors.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-10-14 22:04 I can't say that really. As per earlier posts there are too many variables and it really needs a full Kalla/analogue stack vs a full Exakt stack into the same speakers that work for both systems (Kudos; Ninka; LS5/9 as examples), both with all the ancillaries best optimsed for each.
Kalla is an extremely good product. But evolving a system involves a starting point amongst many other factors.
I don't think you need to be that pedantic* with the comparison, especially since the full Exakt stack is going to be much more expensive than a Källa analogue system. Why not just a Källa analogue system against the Exakt system you have? Then compare what you hear and get for your money & budget. Or are you worried that an Exakt system won't compete unless it's "full" and you ignore the significant cost difference? ;)

Or a restarting point per Spannko who decided that Källa is indeed good enough to move away from Exakt :D

* you did say that wouldn't age too well :)
jajo

Post by jajo »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-10-14 22:23 I don't think you need to be that pedantic* with the comparison
+1

It should be easy to identify the qualities of Källa even by comparing completely different systems. It is not like we are comparing two power cords or old Radikal vs new Radikal.

Källa has a very unique quality to the presentation that is easy to identify.

It is however not going to be everyones cup of tea and that is fine.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

jajo wrote: 2021-10-14 11:37 I guess this is all OT, sorry if this post belongs to another thread.
It's all good as long as Källa remains in context. If people want to debate the merits of Exakt I would appreciate if it were done in its own thread in an appropriate category (HiFi, On the Inside, etc.). Splitting threads is a royal pain in phpBB so I'd rather avoid it!

Thanks,
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-10-14 22:23
sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-10-14 22:04 I can't say that really. As per earlier posts there are too many variables and it really needs a full Kalla/analogue stack vs a full Exakt stack into the same speakers that work for both systems (Kudos; Ninka; LS5/9 as examples), both with all the ancillaries best optimsed for each.
I don't think you need to be that pedantic* with the comparison, especially since the full Exakt stack is going to be much more expensive than a Källa analogue system. Why not just a Källa analogue system against the Exakt system you have? Then compare what you hear and get for your money & budget. Or are you worried that an Exakt system won't compete unless it's "full" and you ignore the significant cost difference? ;)

Or a restarting point per Spannko who decided that Källa is indeed good enough to move away from Exakt :D

* you did say that wouldn't age too well :)
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I've given a straightforward account of my experiences and reasons why some comparisons may be flawed. Its intended to be clear and open about what I heard, in what context, how things sounded and the pitfalls of the listening that was possible in the time available. I've mentioned possible comparisons that might be more useful.

The word "full" is intended as a word describing functionality, not one related to price. "Full analogue" and "full Exakt" are purely functional parallels. Costs can be comparable in that context.

My system is not directly comparable with spannko's and at no point have I criticised his choice. His point of reference is different to mine. Its great that he has found something to enjoy.

There is nothing that I am "worried" about in a comparison going either way, not sure how you read that into anything I've posted.

I will say it for a 3rd time. Kalla is a great product. Like any audio product it works best in the context of a system that complements it.
Last edited by sunbeamgls on 2021-10-15 11:29, edited 3 times in total.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-10-14 22:04
I'm not sure what you're getting at.
+1
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jajo wrote: 2021-10-14 22:31 Källa has a very unique quality to the presentation that is easy to identify.
jajo,
please, can you elaborate a bit further?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
jajo

Post by jajo »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-15 00:00
jajo wrote: 2021-10-14 22:31 Källa has a very unique quality to the presentation that is easy to identify.
jajo,
please, can you elaborate a bit further?
Thanks

Matt
I suggest you give Källa a listen instead of my rambling… :-)

Källa is very different from most streamers I’ve heard and those products usually generate a wide range of opinions. That is a good indication.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I agree jajo - the discussion gets in a too theoretical direction. Its best to hear for yourself and make your own opinion. Although I understand that we (which haven’t had a chance to hear it) try to get es most out of the people who was hearing it. That only shows how interested and enthusiastic we are about the Källa.

Sunbeamgls I also would like to thank you for your honest opinion.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Defender wrote: 2021-10-15 09:22
Sunbeamgls I also would like to thank you for your honest opinion.
+1

It's been really interesting to read forum members impressions. So far it's only served to intensify my curiosity, and convince me not to rush into spending money on an LP12
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-10-15 12:17 So far it's only served to intensify my curiosity, and convince me not to rush into spending money on an LP12
.......and not to rush into spending money on a Linn digital system either.

Matt
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

the effect of Exakt is ones you are invested into it its difficult to come out of it - its difficult to integrate other products into an Exakt system than Linn and than you end up paying more for upgrades as if you would only upgrade the source (see Katalyst upgrades) - I dont like those kind of dependencies.

... and not to rush spendng into what is left from Linns analogue system either ;)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Even if Källa did not exist.......I would not spend money on Linn digital.

Matt
Matt

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Defender wrote: 2021-10-15 13:06 the effect of Exakt is ones you are invested into it its difficult to come out of it - its difficult to integrate other products into an Exakt system than Linn and than you end up paying more for upgrades as if you would only upgrade the source (see Katalyst upgrades) - I dont like those kind of dependencies.

... and not to rush spendng into what is left from Linns analogue system either ;)
It depends, and its a very legitimate concern. From a stereo music perpective only the source / pre-amp is Linn in my system, everything else downstream is non-Linn, just like the days where Linn was supreme with the vinyl source in otherwise non-Linn systems.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-10-14 22:04 Having heard NGKDSM analogue into Tundra 2.5 and the PMCs, it would be very interesting to compare that with Kalla / Sagatun Monos.
How did the NGKDSM into Tundra and PCMs sound compared to the Källa/Sagatun monos/Tundra monos/LS5/9 you heard at DN’s. Please don’t just say they’re different! Did the NGKDSM system have the type of natural musicality you heard at David’s?
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Spannko wrote: 2021-10-15 14:06
sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-10-14 22:04 Having heard NGKDSM analogue into Tundra 2.5 and the PMCs, it would be very interesting to compare that with Kalla / Sagatun Monos.
How did the NGKDSM into Tundra and PCMs sound compared to the Källa/Sagatun monos/Tundra monos/LS5/9 you heard at DN’s. Please don’t just say they’re different! Did the NGKDSM system have the type of natural musicality you heard at David’s?
You can take a look at the review on audiophile musings, there's too much to put on here and its a bit OT.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hi All, As you all know I have a Källa, I also sent one to my first customer to order one who I hope will let us know how he is getting on with his at some point. It should be noted that being in the US I only received my first two Källa on Wednesday and shipped the one out to the customer the same day. He received it yesterday.

I hooked up 005 yesterday at the store and I am so far quite impressed. The setup is simplicity itself and the music coming out of it does not sound like any digital playback I am used to. However, I am not ready to give any detailed thoughts on it for a few reasons. First off the setup here, that I had to use for reasons I don't want to get into, is suboptimal on the playback side. Secondly our networking here consists of thousands of feet of generic network cable going to punch-down blocks and multiple 24 port switches. Each room then has multiple wall sockets to hook network devices into. So we are quite a ways off from ideal network connections. Because of all that I feel it is pointless to try doing comparisons here and it will be a while before I can do them at home, as I will talk about in the My System section. So it is mostly hooked up here to burn the unit in and get some first, although limited, impressions. It is playing in the large studio now and I do find my attention being caught by the music coming into the office more than I am used to. It definitely has a quality that hooks your ear, even within the limitations noted above.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Gammaboy

Post by Gammaboy »

I received my Kalla yesterday and thought it sounded very good right out of the box. I was using the Netgear GS108T switch between router and Kalla. When I went to set up a fixed IP I could see the switch on the list of devices but not the Kalla. I unplugged the switch and connected Kalla directly to the router, which allowed to be recognized as a device. I made the changes and rebooted Kalla, and music was restored. I then re-inserted the switch and now see the switch listed as a device with its IP and Kalla listed with its new fixed IP. It is playing music very nicely, but is my setup correct?

I am using a Netgear Orbi 10 router with two satellites. I know a Naim streamer can be hardwired to a satellite and operate, but curious if the sound quality of the Kalla would be be diminished when connected to a satellite instead of main router?
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-15 12:56
springwood64 wrote: 2021-10-15 12:17 So far it's only served to intensify my curiosity, and convince me not to rush into spending money on an LP12
.......and not to rush into spending money on a Linn digital system either.

Matt
+1
.......and not to rush into spending money on a any source either.
Music First ...
Vlado