Moderator: Staff

mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Källa is now shipping

Post by mrco99 »

Yes!!

Two Källas arrived today.
....indeed installing a streamer has never been as easy as Källa - connect ethernet, RCA and power cables, switch it on an you're greeted with a little tune indicating that Källa and the network have found each other.

Then the more difficult part begins......listening without being disturbed....! Phone calls, unexpected family visits, a spouse that wishes to discuss and socialize, groceries that need to be shopped. It's been a long time since I've been this impatient and offhanded....
.....as Källa is truly something exceptional!
You don't want to leave the room, eat or drink, socialize, let alone stop playing music.

Fredrik, I must really say you - and your team - have outdone yourselves with Källa as these 4 years of hard work and persuing to built the best possible streaming device to your knowledge and expertise really paid off here.

Some pictures to follow later on but first I really need something to eat now and a cofffee too - before I immerse myself into the music again...!

Thanks again Fredrik for having released this fantastic device.
Last edited by mrco99 on 2021-09-29 18:01, edited 3 times in total.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

That sounds fantastic, Marco!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

:D :D

Can I finally let go of my LP12 now?
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-29 18:42 Can I finally let go of my LP12 now?
I've put my turntable upgrade plans on hold pending a listen to Källa.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Since most of the soon to be Källa users will likely control it with an IPhone clips for the Playground should be easy.
Yes I would like to hear clips comparing Källa to an LP12.
Even though that can never be an apples to apples comparison.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-30 10:15 Since most of the soon to be Källa users will likely control it with an IPhone clips for the Playground should be easy.
Yes I would like to hear clips comparing Källa to an LP12.
Even though that can never be an apples to apples comparison.
+1
Music First ...
Vlado
Patdel

Post by Patdel »

I listened briefly on Källa some weeks ago. It had that quality to make you just continue listening and not jump to another track because you get bored. Fredrik had to go home so I couldn't stay. But Källa is special indeed.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-09-30 09:57 I've put my turntable upgrade plans on hold pending a listen to Källa.
Me too.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-30 10:15 Since most of the soon to be Källa users will likely control it with an IPhone clips for the Playground should be easy.
Simultaneous streaming and recording?

Matt
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yeah you are right matt - that might be an issue
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-30 11:21 yeah you are right matt - that might be an issue
Who knows, maybe it sounds even better when recording, worth a try? :-)

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You can't record a video at the same time as you're playing music.

To make clips for the playground, you need a second unit to make the recording.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Of course, my comment was a little bit ironic, sorry.

Matt
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

matthias wrote: 2021-09-30 11:17
springwood64 wrote: 2021-09-30 09:57 I've put my turntable upgrade plans on hold pending a listen to Källa.
Me too.

Matt
I agree - if you look at the upcoming upgrade possibility for the LP12 its already 40% of the way which buys you a new source (Källa). And the running costs for listening are also lower. And I somehow get the feeling Linn is getting somewhat expensive for what they deliver (it doesnt feel the price - performance ratio is right anymore).

I would like to see what the difference in performance is:
Källa vs. LP12 Akurate Level
Källa through streaming service vs Källa through NAS
and
Källa through streaming service vs Källa playing clips which are saved on the IPhone
If the last would be better than through the NAS I would even consider buying a bigger memory on the phone and going through the hassle and saving my favorite albums on the phone directly
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-29 18:42 :D :D

Can I finally let go of my LP12 now?
I won't sell mine until I've had a SINGularity in my system........:-)

But I can say that after listened to Källa my KDS/1 now sounds broken, where I thought yesterday it sounded fine...
Last edited by mrco99 on 2021-09-30 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-30 14:09 I would like to see what the difference in performance is:
Källa vs. LP12 Akurate Level
My feeling is that the "level" of LP12 is almost of no importance (as long as it sounds right (which by the way many LP12:s don´t because they are f-ing sensitive to everything)). LP:s have a kind of unique musical quality that digital reproduction simply has been lacking. If Källa brings that to the table (see what I did there?) I personally feel confident it will beat any LP12.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-30 14:09 if you look at the upcoming upgrade possibility for the LP12 its already 40% of the way which buys you a new source (Källa). And the running costs for listening are also lower. And I somehow get the feeling Linn is getting somewhat expensive for what they deliver (it doesnt feel the price - performance ratio is right anymore).
Agree completely,
have no interests to "upgrade" the LP12 anymore.

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-30 15:28 My feeling is that the "level" of LP12 is almost of no importance (as long as it sounds right (which by the way many LP12:s don´t because they are f-ing sensitive to everything)). LP:s have a kind of unique musical quality that digital reproduction simply has been lacking. If Källa brings that to the table (see what I did there?) I personally feel confident it will beat any LP12.
Also agree completely.

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Azazello wrote: 2021-09-30 15:28 My feeling is that the "level" of LP12 is almost of no importance (as long as it sounds right (which by the way many LP12:s don´t because they are f-ing sensitive to everything)). LP:s have a kind of unique musical quality that digital reproduction simply has been lacking. If Källa brings that to the table (see what I did there?) I personally feel confident it will beat any LP12.
I agree with this as well. A great record on an old but well tuned LP12 delivers magic. Digital replay doesn't do that very often.

But I must add that the phonogram (the vinyl record or the digital file) will determine the comparison. There are some recordings once put on vinyl that I suspect will never be surpassed. The master tapes may be gone or falling apart. I'm sure there are many members here who can give examples of records they find extraordinary.

This of course mainly applies to old music. I find that with Källa, I have started listening to music I previously wouldn't have enjoyed or bothered with. And I certainly wouldn't have bought it on vinyl. Now it feels as if I "get what they're doing" and just want to hear it all the way to the end.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Källa 005 is on its way to Michigan, USA.

It takes a lot of time to complete each unit, so the time from order to delivery is quite long.

I'm going to keep posting in this thread about the units that are shipped out, at least until I've caught up with the preorders.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-30 20:28 A great record on an old but well tuned LP12 delivers magic. Digital replay doesn't do that very often.

But I must add that the phonogram (the vinyl record or the digital file) will determine the comparison. There are some recordings once put on vinyl that I suspect will never be surpassed. The master tapes may be gone or falling apart. I'm sure there are many members here who can give examples of records they find extraordinary.
I agree

Vinyl for me is primarily about older music recorded in analogue, sprinkled with a few modern LPs that take my fancy. That's where the magic is, as you say. And there's still lots of old music left for me to explore.

But if you can bring just some of that magic to digital replay then that opens up another avenue to those of us that have struggled with digital so far. I think you mentioned to me several years ago, prior to this project, that you know a few Klimax LP12 owners who sold their deck and bought a Klimax DS, and yet a few years later they still feel something is missing. If you can get past that hurdle then you will have broken new ground in my view.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Definitely, which is why I’m really looking forward to hearing it. LP12 level musicality from a digital system combined with streaming convenience and music accessibility for a similar price to an LP12 is going to be a massive game changer. Seriously, I hope you’ve cancelled all your holidays Fredrik, you’re going to be very busy!
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes I see and agree about the issue of the LP12 with respect to the setup influencing the performance

To keep it more an apple to apple comparison I would be happy if someone with a Klimax DS/Katalyst or an Akurate DS/Katalyst is making a comparison and maybe providing clips.

I am pretty sure I will test the Källa by myself at some point but since only a limited number of people have access to the Källa till now that would be really much appreciated.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’m not an LP12 basher. I still think a good LP12 is the most musical source one can own, and by a country mile (pending hearing the Källa), but there’s no doubt that setup and maintenance is critical to its performance. There’s no worse feeling than hearing the cartridge deteriorate and knowing that it’s going to cost the GDP of of an African dictatorship to replace it!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Agreed - there is nothing better than a great vinyl recording ( usually old) on a well set up LP 12 , and I will be keeping my LP 12s to enjoy these particular gems.

However, I still end up spending most of my time listening to Digital and thats why a groundbreaking product like Kalla ( i have no doubt that it will be just that) is so, so important.

It would open up a whole world of music to the discerning listener for a tenner a months worth of subsription.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s