Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended network components

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-04 08:49 I don't think it does. Haven't tried it.

Fixed IP in Källa is different from fixed IP on all other parts of the network. In Källa it's a feature that stops unnecessary activity, and this improves its musicality. Källa isn't affected by the general activity on the network and therefore I don't think that fixed IP on any other unit matters.
OK, but CP is not "any other" unit. CP is responsible for receiving Spotify and sending data via protocol to Källa. This is not a trivial task and differences between CPs do matter. So I suppose it might benefit as well.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The general activity in the Control Point has no effect on musicality.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Yes, certainly no influence on Källa, but maybe on CP itself? I mean it is easy to try.
Just for clarification:
Fixed IP is benefit for Källa, so fixed IP (in CP) might be benefit for CP (Source first).

Matt
Matt

donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

deleted - posted in error - sorry
Last edited by donuk on 2021-10-05 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Please let me explain how the relationship looks between Källa and the control point.

Källa is extremely optimized and everything we have done has had a profound influence on its musical performance. We added an option for disabling DHCP (=setting a fixed IP) in its user interface, because it's one of the last remaining things that it does which isn't necessary for the conversion of the digital stream to music.

The control points aren't sensitive at all to what you do with them, which processes are running, the amount of network activity, battery level/energy save mode/being charged, physical support/position, operating system version, etc.

So the only way in which the control point behaves like a source in any practical sense is a musical difference between hardware models, which appears to be static (we haven't been able to alter the ranking order). Apart from this detail, the control point doesn't behave like a source at all. I think doing further experiments with fixed IP etc. is likely a waste of time. But you are of course welcome to experiment!
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-04 10:49 So the only way in which the control point behaves like a source in any practical sense is a musical difference between hardware models, which appears to be static (we haven't been able to alter the ranking order).
Fredrik,
thanks for clarification. It was just a thought to try.

Matt
Matt

Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Hello!
I'm just reconfirming the order of the components and in my case it should be like this:
Internet modem > Router > Netgear GS108T > Källa
So even if the router got a good built in switch I should always use the GS108T, right?
----------
While searching through stuff I found a 3m Microconnect CAT6 cable.
Is there any conclusion of which direction the text should run on the cable?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-10-04 20:59 Hello!
I'm just reconfirming the order of the components and in my case it should be like this:
Internet modem > Router > Netgear GS108T > Källa
So even if the router got a good built in switch I should always use the GS108T, right?
----------
While searching through stuff I found a 3m Microconnect CAT6 cable.
Is there any conclusion of which direction the text should run on the cable?
Yes, the order is fine!

I think you should try with and without the GS-108T; just pause the music, move the ethernet cable going into GS-108T to Källa and play again. If it's better without the GS-108T, I would very much like to know what model of Router you have.

The Microconnect ethernet cables are/were made by several manufacturers, so you need to evaluate the direction by listening. One of the Microconnects I bought long ago (I believe the tip originated from Music Lover) remains the best ethernet cable I have heard. I bought more of them a few years later, but they were different and not particularly good.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Thanks for the reply!

I don't have a Källa yet but slowly prepering for when I do.

The router I'm using now is a TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750.
Also have a bunch of more or less old routers lying around like the Netgear RP614 v4, D-Link N300 Ver. A2,
D-Link DI-604 Ver. D1 and an ASUS RT-N56U.

The Microconnect cable is from around 2012-2013.
Hopefully it's one of the better ones but I'm going to buy a few Blue Jeans cables anyways to compare.

Edit: I recall reading certain ports on the Netgear GS108T sounded better than others. If so, which one/ones?

By the way. I ordered an iPhone 11 and this will be my first ever Apple product!
Are there any settings to change in the iPhone OS or in the Spotify app that will make streaming sound better
or maybe just be more convenient?

That's a lot of questions to answer so thanks in advance!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, I seem to have forgotten answering these questions of yours, Whatsmynaim.
Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-10-05 14:48 I recall reading certain ports on the Netgear GS108T sounded better than others. If so, which one/ones?
On my GS108T at home, port 8 sounds the best, but I find the differences small. I'm not sure if it's the same on all GS108T units, as I recall someone reporting another port sounding the best. You might need to compare them to find out.
Whatsmynaim wrote: 2021-10-05 14:48 Are there any settings to change in the iPhone OS or in the Spotify app that will make streaming sound better
or maybe just be more convenient?
On the iOS device, I haven't found any settings that matter. On the Spotify app, there are two categories under Settings that I find important. The first one is Playback, where you should disable the Equalizer and disable 'Enable Audio Normalization'. The second one is Audio Quality, where you should choose the highest possible bit rate: Very High.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have some findings to report from using Källa in my home network.

The network consists of an old modem+router unit from Technicolor (to which Källa is connected with cable) and a Netgear EX6150v2 extender that covers the second half of the apartment (which otherwise will have poor reception).

These units provide the household with three WiFi nets:
1) A 5 GHz WiFi provided by the Technicolor router
2) A 2.4 GHz WiFi provided by the Technicolor router
3) A 5 GHz WiFi provided by the Netgear extender

When connecting the control point to these three WiFi nets, I find that 1) sounds a little better than 2). I suspect this difference is specific to my router and not a general difference between 5 and 2.4 GHz. It's a small difference, but noticeable.

Connecting the control point to 3) is the worst option of these three. This difference is bigger than between 1) and 2).

This reinforces my preference for having a stationary control point on the table in the room where the HiFi is. That unit is always connected to the best sounding WiFi net. If I'm listening to Spotify, I can remote control it with any device where I have Spotify installed. I don't even need to be at home to do this, as when I open Spotify on my phone, it will ask whether I wish to keep playing on the unit in the HiFi room.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Is Kalla just for wizzkids Fredrik or can a computer illiterate (there are some left in this modern times) also find his/her way with Kalla and other streaming devices and services?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Kantata Audio

Post by Kantata Audio »

Arjen wrote: 2021-10-24 12:20 Is Kalla just for wizzkids Fredrik or can a computer illiterate (there are some left in this modern times) also find his/her way with Kalla and other streaming devices and services?
Hi Arjen,

No, Källa, and other streamers, are not just for whizz kids. They are for everyone.

Like any complex product, cars being a good example, the technology can be discussed ad infinitum.

To many, myself included, it is baffling. However, almost anyone can drive one.

Källa is pretty much plug and play.

My advice would be to contact your local Lejonklou dealer. They will be able to install Källa and assist & support you both now & in the future with the world of digital music.

Good luck!
Kantata Audio - Lejonklou | Kudos | Innuos

email sales@kantata-audio.co.uk
tel +044 2892607882
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-24 10:55 This reinforces my preference for having a stationary control point on the table in the room where the HiFi is.
For the sake of convenience I vastly prefer Macs and iPads to iPhones for controlling streaming services.
So I really hope that there will be another device than a iPhone on top of the ranking of control points.

Matt
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Kantata Audio wrote: 2021-10-24 13:15 My advice would be to contact your local Lejonklou dealer.
Agree,
it would be nice to have one in Germany.

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2021-10-24 13:28 For the sake of convenience I vastly prefer Macs and iPads to iPhones for controlling streaming services.
So I really hope that there will be another device than a iPhone on top of the ranking of control points.
If you prefer a Mac, then use a Mac. There is no need for it to be at the top of the Recommended Control Points list.

Even if you pick the device at the bottom of that list, Källa will still be the best digital source you've ever heard.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-24 13:37 Even if you pick the device at the bottom of that list, Källa will still be the best digital source you've ever heard.
Yes for sure,
however if there is a little bit more of the thrill with a better CP.......:-)

Matt
Matt

John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-24 10:55 I have some findings to report from using Källa in my home network.

The network consists of an old modem+router unit from Technicolor (to which Källa is connected with cable) and a Netgear EX6150v2 extender that covers the second half of the apartment (which otherwise will have poor reception).

These units provide the household with three WiFi nets:
1) A 5 GHz WiFi provided by the Technicolor router
2) A 2.4 GHz WiFi provided by the Technicolor router
3) A 5 GHz WiFi provided by the Netgear extender

When connecting the control point to these three WiFi nets, I find that 1) sounds a little better than 2). I suspect this difference is specific to my router and not a general difference between 5 and 2.4 GHz. It's a small difference, but noticeable.

Connecting the control point to 3) is the worst option of these three. This difference is bigger than between 1) and 2).

This reinforces my preference for having a stationary control point on the table in the room where the HiFi is. That unit is always connected to the best sounding WiFi net. If I'm listening to Spotify, I can remote control it with any device where I have Spotify installed. I don't even need to be at home to do this, as when I open Spotify on my phone, it will ask whether I wish to keep playing on the unit in the HiFi room.
The reason why 3 is likely not better is because “data traffic routed through the extender is inherently slower than traffic routed directly from the network”, as stated in the Netgear EX6150v2 manual.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Arjen wrote: 2021-10-24 12:20 Is Kalla just for wizzkids Fredrik or can a computer illiterate (there are some left in this modern times) also find his/her way with Kalla and other streaming devices and services?
As John (Kantata Audio) wrote above, Källa is plug and play.

I haven't found any streamer that is simpler to install and use than Källa.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

John wrote: 2021-10-24 13:48 The reason why 3 is likely not better is because “data traffic routed through the extender is inherently slower than traffic routed directly from the network”, as stated in the Netgear EX6150v2 manual.
I don't think speed is the reason, because we've tested a lot of network components and there hasn't been any correlation between speed and sound quality.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I added a very simple sketch to the website, showing how Källa is best connected to your HiFi and the network.

There are of course many details that are possible to vary, but I strongly recommend your journey with Källa begins using this connection scheme.

Every time you deviate from this scheme because you've found something better, make sure you evaluate the change carefully, critically and using the Tune Method!

https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-26 23:26 I added a very simple sketch to the website, showing how Källa is best connected to your HiFi and the network...
Källa 1st on the power strip, ahead of preamps?
Presumably the two power strips should be plugged into a common (duplex) outlet? I may be wrong but believe that was previous advice: network components on a separate power strip but both into a shared double socket...
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-10-26 23:38
lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-26 23:26 I added a very simple sketch to the website, showing how Källa is best connected to your HiFi and the network...
Källa 1st on the power strip, ahead of preamps?
Presumably the two power strips should be plugged into a common (duplex) outlet? I may be wrong but believe that was previous advice: network components on a separate power strip but both into a shared double socket...
You are correct!

I prefer preamps first and Källa second in the power strip. But that made my sketch too complicated... Some have integrated amps and then Källa should be first.

Yes, the power strips should be plugged into outlets that are close to one another.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

On board with keeping it simple... Thanks for confirming & clarifying
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-26 23:26 I added a very simple sketch to the website, showing how Källa is best connected to your HiFi and the network.
Fredrik,
does it matter when Källa with its SMPS is on the same power strip with amps which have a LPS?
Thanks

Matt
Matt