Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended network components

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-30 13:01 .. I will probable leave the Amplifi Units for a rainy day.
Shouldn't have to wait too long then given UK weather ;) :D

Glad that the BT mesh brought musical improvement :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-03-30 13:49
u252agz wrote: 2022-03-30 13:01 .. I will probable leave the Amplifi Units for a rainy day.
Shouldn't have to wait too long then given UK weather ;) :D

Glad that the BT mesh brought musical improvement :)
Yes - UK weather is rather conducive to Hi Fi tweaking and tailor made for network optimisation.

On a serious note - I think the cable to the switch supplying Kalla and from the switch to Kalla isimportant.

When I tried a rag tag of non branded cables with the BT mesh unit /GS108T/ Kalla ( before the BJCs arrived from your neck of the woods) there was an improvement from my long ‘in the wall Cat 5’ but nothing like that with the BJC 6as ( Mine are 8 foot I’ve realised)

It will be interesting to see if David Neel finds a significant improvement with the Amplifi units as I think he has optimal BJC 6a cables from his Router/ GS108T to Kalla.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-30 19:05 It will be interesting to see if David Neel finds a significant improvement with the Amplifi units as I think he has optimal BJC 6a cables from his Router/ GS108T to Kalla.
I do indeed have BJC cat6a cables. But I've cut short my Amplifi experimentation, as I've been dealing with life's REAL issues instead - like brake adjustments and sorting out a new set of tyres for my 1966 car before I take it on a road trip - who knew that modern balancing equipment can't deal with old wheels? Oh, and connecting the radio aerial to the (AM/LW) radio, not that I can really hear it over the 1960s noise levels!

So I've abandoned more experimentation after the initial (admittedly imperfect) comparisons showed musical degradation (IN MY VERY SIMPLE NETWORK). Sorry all! The Amplifis are in transit back to Spannko (thank you for the loan!), and I have rescued myself from spoiling the next couple of weeks' holiday by thinking about the sonic merits of routers, and how to optimally configure them!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-30 09:25 We’ve heard two examples of wired being more musical, so it appears that our particular network requirements affect the optimum arrangement.
Maybe I lost track, can you point me to the two?
Thanks
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-31 07:09
Spannko wrote: 2022-03-30 09:25 We’ve heard two examples of wired being more musical, so it appears that our particular network requirements affect the optimum arrangement.
Maybe I lost track, can you point me to the two?
Thanks
Here’s one.
springwood64 wrote: 2022-03-18 08:26
The unanimous vote is for A

Ho hum.

A is wired and B is wireless, and I definitely prefer the wireless configuration.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-31 11:15 Here’s one.
The other one?
Matt

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-31 11:28
Spannko wrote: 2022-03-31 11:15 Here’s one.
The other one?
Have you looked?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-31 12:26 Have you looked?
I didn't found any so far.
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I checked this thread starting from the post where Fredrik reported about the Amplifis.
These members found a wireless configuration (different mesh systems) between router and streamer musically superior to a wired config (in-room-listening-reports):

*jajo
*lejonklou
*Spannko (sound upgrade)
*Azazello
*Defender
*springwood64
*Pedro
*ThomasOK
*u252agz

AFAIK, nobody preferred a wired config after exploring "wireless".
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

In the interest of accuracy, some people preferred the clip of Amplifi HD router/WAP wired to GS108T with 10M cable compared to Amplifi HD to Amplifi HD wireless in my clips. Others found it hard to choose between those two. (Although I think everyone agreed the wired setup with Eero router/WAP and Airport Extreme was the least enjoyable.)

There is still the question on whether I have the PS for the Amplifi HD by the system plugged in the optimal way which I haven't had a chance to test yet.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Yes Thomas,
I did not consider the clips, but you liked your config C best.
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I definitely prefer wireless, but everybody preferred my wired clip.

I continuously find myself astonished at how good streamed music sounds on my system now. Tracks grab me by the ears, demand my attention and pull me into them. I seem to be feeling the music more than hearing it, tasting it even.

I'm starting to reconsider replacing my Hakai: I'm not sure I need anything better.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-03-31 18:28 I continuously find myself astonished at how good streamed music sounds on my system now.
Do you mean Radio Paradise or Spotify as well?
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-31 20:38
Do you mean Radio Paradise or Spotify as well?
Both, though Radio Paradise is playing most of the time and is most likely to grab my attention when I'm not expecting it
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-31 16:25 I checked this thread starting from the post where Fredrik reported about the Amplifis.
These members found a wireless configuration (different mesh systems) between router and streamer musically superior to a wired config (in-room-listening-reports):

*jajo
*lejonklou
*Spannko (sound upgrade)
*Azazello
*Defender
*springwood64
*Pedro
*ThomasOK
*u252agz

AFAIK, nobody preferred a wired config after exploring "wireless".
You’ll find that David Neel and myself heard a sound improvement only. Musically, DN experienced a downgrade and I was unsure. I’m still keeping an open mind and plan to experiment more over the coming weeks.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-31 20:51 You’ll find that David Neel and myself heard a sound improvement only. Musically, DN experienced a downgrade and I was unsure. I’m still keeping an open mind and plan to experiment more over the coming weeks.
IIUC, DN tried the Amplifis not yet in a wireless config.
You see that I made a remark at your name for sound upgrade.
Matt

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-31 21:03
Spannko wrote: 2022-03-31 20:51 You’ll find that David Neel and myself heard a sound improvement only. Musically, DN experienced a downgrade and I was unsure. I’m still keeping an open mind and plan to experiment more over the coming weeks.
IIUC, DN tried the Amplifis not yet in a wireless config.
You see that I made a remark at your name for sound upgrade.
👍
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-03-31 18:28 I definitely prefer wireless, but everybody preferred my wired clip.

I continuously find myself astonished at how good streamed music sounds on my system now. Tracks grab me by the ears, demand my attention and pull me into them. I seem to be feeling the music more than hearing it, tasting it even.

I'm starting to reconsider replacing my Hakai: I'm not sure I need anything better.
So happy to read this, Pete!

HAKAI is such a fundamentally great player when everything is right. I’d be happy to listen to one for the rest of my life, because it makes the music justice in a way that almost nothing else does.

Stay away from Källa until that thrill you’re now in begins to feel normal. Then you’ll appreciate the next step so much more.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-31 20:51
You’ll find that David Neel and myself heard a sound improvement only. Musically, DN experienced a downgrade and I was unsure. I’m still keeping an open mind and plan to experiment more over the coming weeks.
with the Amplifi HD‘s I feel I can much more easily discern differences even between BJ Cables which thought would all have almost the same performance.
So its easily possible you have a less than optimum situation with respect to which the right order of performance of your cables is. Performance differences which I would never assume network cables are able to introduce into your system.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

OK - so now I have put my third BJC 6A cable between the router and the first mesh unit as per recommendation.

Wow- its much better.

Maybe not as big a difference as the cables from Mesh to GS108T and GS108T to Kalla, but a definite improvement and a quite significant one to my ears.

This third cable seems to have completed the Kalla/network installation and feels like the final piece of the puzzle. Everything is just right - its as if the final bit of tuning is complete.

Until, I suppose some bright spark comes up with another modification to the digital installation which will improve things even more

My only issue with these BJC cables ( apart from cost and having to import from USA ) is their stiffness , length and blue colour, which makes it tricky for someone who hates visible wires.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

u252agz wrote: 2022-04-09 14:54 OK - so now I have put my third BJC 6A cable between the router and the first mesh unit as per recommendation.

Wow- its much better.

Maybe not as big a difference as the cables from Mesh to GS108T and GS108T to Kalla, but a definite improvement and a quite significant one to my ears.

This third cable seems to have completed the Kalla/network installation and feels like the final piece of the puzzle. Everything is just right - its as if the final bit of tuning is complete.

Until, I suppose some bright spark comes up with another modification to the digital installation which will improve things even more

My only issue with these BJC cables ( apart from cost and having to import from USA ) is their stiffness , length and blue colour, which makes it tricky for someone who hates visible wires.
Glad to hear you found such an improvement there. I haven't put one in that position yet but I am burning in three new BJC cables so I will have five to choose from when they are ready. When I plugged one of the new ones in place of the already burned in one into the Amplifi HD near the Källa it seemed like there was an immediate musical improvement. I am looking forward to sorting which are the best sounding cables and putting them into their best places.

I don't quite understand the color problem as you can order the cables in one of a number of colors including black and white. Three of mine are white but I got a black and purple just for the heck of it with the latest three I bought.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-04-09 14:54 OK - so now I have put my third BJC 6A cable between the router and the first mesh unit as per recommendation.

Wow- its much better.
Still with the BT mesh units? Nice to get a noticeable improvement from such a simple change :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Yes - still with the BT Mesh units and the network upgrade has been just great. I have not even had time to start selecting the best cables.

I only needed one mesh unit but an offer on three means that wi Fi has improved, even though the ‘app’ said the original three were sufficient.

In terms of colour of the cables - I had to go on the BJC shop on Amazon Uk and there was very little choice in 8ft or 10 ft 6a cables. I took what I could get one at a time as they came in stock.

The only visible cable is the one in the study by the router so aesthetics not important there.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Ah, I didn't even know they sold at Amazon. I've just bought them direct.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I mentioned a few pages back that I was ordering s GS108Tv3 while they were still available. Well, the company I ordered it from unceremoniously cancelled my order. One of my dealers also mentioned he was having a hard time finding one and a quick look on the web shows that most places have it as out of stock, back ordered or have just removed the listing. It looks like some Office Depot stores have one left in stock but they are getting difficult to find.

In the meantime the new GS308T that replaces it has become available so I ordered one of them to try out. I hope it is as good or better than the GS108T but probably won't know for a couple of weeks until the new unit arrives and is burned in. So if you were wanting a GS108Tv3 I'd start looking and grab one before they are history.
The LP12 Whisperer