Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended network components

Post by matthias »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-24 07:57 Next month I will get a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router with Wifi6 from my ISP, curious how it will compare to the old one.
One week ago I got the new one, both me and my wife find it musically superior.
Reasons?
Maybe higher internetspeed (1000mbps), better protocol, suspended set-up?
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2022-04-16 13:57
matthias wrote: 2022-03-24 07:57 Next month I will get a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router with Wifi6 from my ISP, curious how it will compare to the old one.
One week ago I got the new one, both me and my wife find it musically superior.
Reasons?
Maybe higher internetspeed (1000mbps), better protocol, suspended set-up?
Suspended setup? Are you hanging it from the ceiling?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Spannko wrote: 2022-04-16 16:03 Suspended setup? Are you hanging it from the ceiling?
Yes
Matt

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

What are you using to hang it from the ceiling with, and how are you supporting the router? Some before/after vids would be interesting to hear.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I can make a picture tomorrow. I did try only the suspended position, no other one previously.
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

IMG_2367.jpg
Some settings for those who are interested:
*Only one SSID
*Both 2,4GHz and 5GHz ON
*Band Steering ON
*WPS OFF
*LEDs OFF
*UPnP OFF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by matthias on 2022-05-02 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have updated the 'Recommended Setup' sketch on my website, making it a little more detailed:

https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/

I don't know how many are now following this scheme and how many are using Ubiquity Amplifi HD as the mesh node. I know a handful that are really happy with the results, but I believe that one or a few on this forum weren't completely convinced with it? This thread has become so long that I've lost track of who that was.

Anyone who tried this scheme and/or the Amplifi HD and arrived at something different that sounds better, please let me know. I am eager to make further experiments and am also unsure if there is any single network arrangement that always sounds the best.
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

Hey guys. What's the easiest way for someone from Sweden (Me!) to buy 8.5 feet BJC Ca 6a? It's fairly easy to order from Amazon but they only sell 8 feet cables and no 8.5..
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Buy direct from blue jeans, you can use their drop down menu for any length.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-05-02 00:10 I have updated the 'Recommended Setup' sketch on my website, making it a little more detailed:

https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/

Anyone who tried this scheme and/or the Amplifi HD and arrived at something different that sounds better, please let me know. I am eager to make further experiments and am also unsure if there is any single network arrangement that always sounds the best.
Not a case of something different, rather something similar: I tried a few different configs and have ended up with your recommended setup, effectively. I'm using an Airport Express as a wireless client of my main router, plugged in with the 108T... This is more effortlessly enjoyable than a long Ethernet cable between main router & 108T, or a 2nd router providing a separate HiFi WiFi to the Airport Express.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Whatsmynaim wrote: 2022-05-02 14:23 Hey guys. What's the easiest way for someone from Sweden (Me!) to buy 8.5 feet BJC Ca 6a? It's fairly easy to order from Amazon but they only sell 8 feet cables and no 8.5..
As Anthony said above. And choose the Federal Express International Priority option. Then they will charge VAT (moms) when you pay and the cables will arrive within days. Using the cheaper shipping options will cause your parcel to be held by Postnord, who will charge you VAT and import fees. Takes much longer and will probably cost at least as much.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-05-04 01:29I tried a few different configs and have ended up with your recommended setup, effectively. I'm using an Airport Express as a wireless client of my main router, plugged in with the 108T...
Thank you for reporting, tokenbrit!
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Has anyone tried using 2 Netgear GS108T's in sequence? I have one and like what it does. Just wondering if another would increase this improvement or not.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

fatjulio wrote: 2022-06-16 08:15 Has anyone tried using 2 Netgear GS108T's in sequence? I have one and like what it does. Just wondering if another would increase this improvement or not.
Yes I have tried it.

My finding is that it doesn’t work well. The musical effect of the switch is sort of like a reducer of energy, a damper. Two in series results in too much of this effect.

Actually I find this to be a common pattern in electronics. Two identical processing steps in series is often worse than just one. If two processes are needed, it’s often better that their characteristics are different (even better; complementary) rather than identical.
Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

Since the Amplifi HD (at least the EU version) is not sold anymore: are there any new insights which mesh routers/nodes sound good?

Another thing: in Fredriks sketch of recommended setup (https://www.lejonklou.com/tips/recommended-setup/) it just says ”Mesh node or router”, does that mean that any mesh router/node should be superior to using an ethernet cable between a standard router and GS108T?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Lemmy!

First of all, I'd like to say that even if you do connect Källa with a long cable between your standard router and the GS-108T switch, it will sound terrific. So the recommended setup is for those who really want to get the highest musical performance from their Källa.

Secondly, the recommended setup works for other digital music streamers as well. For instance Linn's DS players. So it's not limited to Källa only.

I'm sorry to hear that the Amplifi HD is difficult to get hold of. I haven't compared it with other mesh units, but others appear to be very happy with other mesh systems. Hopefully we'll at some point find something even better than the Amplifi HD.

The recommended setup works great also if you connect your standard router as suggested. Meaning it's powered by the same separate strip as your GS-108T switch, and using an ethernet cable that is between 2.5 and 3 meters long to the switch. So it's not essential to have a mesh system, although it can in some cases be practical. If you must run additional cables from your router to other equipment, a mesh unit dedicated to the HiFi is likely more ideal, as it will only be connected to the GS-108T switch and Källa.

Speaking of ethernet cables, I have not made any more experiments with other brands and models since my failed attempts from this spring, when I tested a large amount of various standard cables. They were all disappointing compared to the 8.5 feet Blue Jeans Cable CAT 6a.
Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

Ok, thanks!

I don’t have a Källa (yet) so the plan is to get the most out of my Hakai
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting. The AmpliFi HD seems to be readily available in the US and a quick look at Amazon UK shows it in stock there as well. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be available in Europe. I would think the only real difference would be the AC adaptor.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-08-31 18:17 Interesting. The AmpliFi HD seems to be readily available in the US and a quick look at Amazon UK shows it in stock there as well. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be available in Europe. I would think the only real difference would be the AC adaptor.
Yep - it's still listed on the EU store for Uniti/Amplifi. Says out of stock, but offers the option to sign up for back in stock e-mails...

Not clear that it's "not sold anymore" - could just be supply chain issues, again, affecting (temporary?) availability. Probably worth Lemmy signing up for a stock alert? Otherwise grab a used one... :?
Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

I don’t think the EU version is manufactured anymore. All online stores here in Sweden are out of stock. I doubt it will come back, it is an old product now and Ubiquiti has newer routers with Wifi6 for example.

The UK version is apparently the same as the EU version except for the plug of course. So I could buy a UK version and then buy a separate EU plug. But sourcing a fitting plug is not trivial: An EU plug for Amplifi HD used to be sold as a spare part, but not anymore. Finding a third party one is not easy either, since the Amplifi HD is picky in this aspect since the router apparently requires more power than a typical USB-C charger supports. Then there is also the possibility that a non-stock plug will result in a degradation of sound quality.

As for US routers they apparently differ a bit, for example in the number of supported channels (11 in US, 14 in EU), so it’s not a punt I’m willing to take. Then there is the power plug thing as well.

With all this said, I have now sourced a second hand unit from Italy, it should have the correct plug. Of course, for the recommended network setup I need two units…
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Posts pertaining to the Ubiquity AmpliFi HD mesh router have been extracted from ththis thread and placed here for easier reference. This is currently a work-in-progress so I apologize for any continuity issues you encounter.

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I finally got around to replacing the stock cat 5 cable connecting my BT mesh wi fi unit to my Kalla upstairs, with a Blue Jeans 6a -2.5 metre length cable .

Wow -really big difference. So much more musical. I tried it with Suzanne Vegas Gypsy on solitude standing - my standard for A to Bs and it’s night and day.

These cables are just great and in terms of bang per buck - a real bargain .
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

After ThomasOK's clips with the Netgear GS308T, is anyone else having a try?

It did sound more musical, especially with the GS108T PSU. I'd get one myself, but I'd have to get one from overseas (Australia to New Zealand). Just looking for some more postive feedback before doing so.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

fatjulio wrote: 2022-11-01 04:10 After ThomasOK's clips with the Netgear GS308T, is anyone else having a try?
Yes. Just letting it settle in a bit before comparing with the 108.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Great. Thanks.