Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recommended network components

Post by lejonklou »

I think it likely could. I have now heard from several who've tested my recommended network arrangement and they've all said Wow!

I was very pleased before I did the rearrangement, but said Wow! myself after I had done it.

I am not sure I can fully understand your layout without a simple sketch.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks - I’ll pm with a sketch.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Or perhaps post it here?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I know I'd be interested... the discussion & any suggestions may provide something applicable here :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I would post it here if I knew how to.

At the moment I just have a jpeg image of my network - OK for emails but not for posting on the forum.

Meanwhile let me try another description:

Upstairs Study : The Router is connected to GS108T and a BT mesh WiFi disc via 3 m Cat 5 cables.
The GS108T is connected to Kalla downstairs via a long Cat 5 cable.
All units share the same power strip.

Downstairs Music Room: Kalla ( connected to GS108T in the study with long Cat5 ) and Hi Fi - same power strip.
Second mesh WIFI unit ( different power strip)
I Pad mini to control Kalla

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

To post jpeg’s, if you look just below the text box you’ll see an “Attachments” tab. Select and “Add files”. When your file has uploaded, select “Place inline”, ana finally “Submit”. It’s actually easier than it sounds
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-11 14:22 Not sure how I would configure the Fritzbox to only work as a modem.
You would have to switch off both DHCP server and WiFi, so it doesn't work as a router anymore.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

IMG_0316.jpg
OK thanks Spanko. I did not realise it was this straightdorward-Lets hope its worked.

I have been recommended to use a mesh wifi unit and GS108T in the music room, ( same power strip, and next to the Hi Fi power strip) and then use Blue jeans Cat 6a 8.5 ft cables to connect the mesh to the GS108T and then the GS108T to Kalla.

So I have ordered the parts and will update on the performance.

I am using BT wholehome WIFi Mesh but could easily change to Amplifi HD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-11 15:33 I have got the impression so far that the Amplifi HD should work as router for best musicality or is this not the case?
It is working as a router but it needs to get its own IP address when it is fed from the switch in the BT hub.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-11 15:33 I have got the impression so far that the Amplifi HD should work as router for best musicality or is this not the case?
I don't think that Fredrik was saying that this was the only musical setup; just that's the setup that suited him, and worked best with Amplifi to Amplifi via WiFi rather than Ethernet... I don't recall any speculation as to what made it sound so good other than removing the LAN cable ground.

And Defender needs the DHCP enabled in his Fritzbox if it's still serving his separate home network "for family and work".
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I think one of the issues with Ethernet connections may be the quality of the cable used.

I have had a very long Ethernet 7.5 metre connection in the wall which used to connect my switch upstairs ( where the router is) to the Linn KDS/2 downstairs and now connects the Kalla. But a separate cat 5 connects the GS108T to the wall cable and a third one downstairs from the wall to Kalla!.

It is probably not good enough and I am going to try Fredriks set up and take a 8.5 ft Blue jeans cat 6a from a wi Fi mesh unit to a GS108T in the downstairs room and a blue jeans 6a from that to Kalla.

Both switch and mesh wii use the same power strip which will be connected to the wall outlet that the HI Fi power strip shares.

I’m sure optimal installation is key with streamers - I have experience of poor Nas drives and non recommended switches absolutely killing the music, and definitely prefer Spotify to Tidal/Quobuz.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I've ordered two of the Amplifi HD units which are in stock here at B&H Photo and other places. I was about to add a Netgear GS108Tv3 to my cart but they were out of them. I have a GS108Tv2 by my Källa and a GS108 serving the main network so I wondered about using a GS108T in place of that, although the Amplifi HD units should mean that the switch by the computer is no longer in the line to the Källa. But it can't hurt having a spare for demonstration. When I tried to get one I discovered that there is a new Netgear GS308 in regular and T versions. It appears that it might be a replacement for the GS108 series as B&H no longer even list the GS108T nor does it show up in their search. As Newegg is also out of them it does seem like it might be on the way out.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of the GS308T. B&H has it as a pre-order so it may be too new to be out in the field yet. It seems like it is very similar to the GS108T with two principal differences I can see: the GS308 does not have the PoE option to have the switch powered over Ethernet that the 108 had and the 308 has a larger buffer. Otherwise they seem to be the same specs (although I didn't do a thorough comparison) and the GS308s are less expensive. Hopefully it is as good or better but I am going to pick up a GS108T-300NAS locally to hedge my bets. Has anybody actually tested the v2 and the v3 versions of the GS108T? That would be interesting too.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-11 19:14 ...

I have had a very long Ethernet 7.5 metre connection in the wall which used to connect my switch upstairs ( where the router is) to the Linn KDS/2 downstairs and now connects the Kalla. But a separate cat 5 connects the GS108T to the wall cable and a third one downstairs from the wall to Kalla!.

.. I am going to try Fredriks set up and take a 8.5 ft Blue jeans cat 6a from a wi Fi mesh unit to a GS108T in the downstairs room and a blue jeans 6a from that to Kalla...

I’m sure optimal installation is key with streamers...
Looking forward to your impressions with WiFi replacing the multiple, mixed cable connections to Kalla, as well as separating Kalla from your DS. Should be in for a treat :)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-03-11 19:17 I've ordered two of the Amplifi HD units which are in stock here at B&H Photo and other places...

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of the GS308T... Hopefully it is as good or better but I am going to pick up a GS108T-300NAS locally to hedge my bets. Has anybody actually tested the v2 and the v3 versions of the GS108T? That would be interesting too.
I went cheap: sourced an AExtreme to test with AExpress, but good to know the HDs are available if I want compare Apples & Amplifis...

Does that mean you'll be testing 308T vs 108Tv3 vs 108Tv2? Definitely interesting, even if I'm hoping that the v2 wins so I can spend money elsewhere ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-03-11 20:44
ThomasOK wrote: 2022-03-11 19:17 I've ordered two of the Amplifi HD units which are in stock here at B&H Photo and other places...

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of the GS308T... Hopefully it is as good or better but I am going to pick up a GS108T-300NAS locally to hedge my bets. Has anybody actually tested the v2 and the v3 versions of the GS108T? That would be interesting too.
I went cheap: sourced an AExtreme to test with AExpress, but good to know the HDs are available if I want compare Apples & Amplifis...

Does that mean you'll be testing 308T vs 108Tv3 vs 108Tv2? Definitely interesting, even if I'm hoping that the v2 wins so I can spend money elsewhere ;)
Don't hold your breath on that latter part!
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-03-11 21:04 Don't hold your breath on that latter part!
(not ;) OK :p
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2022-03-12 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

just an anecdote: it seems to me that the Amplifi makes differences in your network easily transparent.
I used one Amplifi on my computer to rip some CD‘s to my NAS - to keep moving parts at the minimum I used the Amplifi which feeds the GS108 and the streamer.
After I ripped the CD‘s I put everything back to the usual setup. The music sounded not as before - not much but slightly less wonderfull :(

I thought, well, I have deleted some files from the NAS with the Intel drive so maybe that disturbed something. I did let it run over night to make everything settle down - I still was not happy.

Than I realized that I had marked my Blue Jeans Cables according to their measured performance (you get a protocol with measurements when you buy Blue Jeans Cables). During the change I have switched the one Blue Jeans Cable which feeds the GS108 for the other with the better measured performance. Both have been in use as part of the audio before the Amplifi so it can not be a run in issue.

After I switched them back all sounds as perfect as before.
Maybe I already hear the grass growing (but so far I hear no voices in my head). Maybe something else was the reason, maybe there was only a perceived difference.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Never trust measured perfromance!
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

I came across this very interesting short article from Ubiquiti about using the Amplifi HD with an existing ISP modem/router:

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ridge-Mode

So it is mandatory to place either the ISP modem/router or the Amplifi HD in bridge mode.
IIUC, it seems to be better (more musical?) to place the ISP modem/router in bridge mode (if possible) and not the Amplifi HD.

What do you think about?
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you for directing me to the article - I was reading through it but I can only find options for the FritzBox to be setup after an ISP modem but not to be used only as a modem. That means the other option would be to set the Amplifi in Bridge mode but than I would lose UPNP functionality which I need for my NAS and the streamer (not Källa so far).
I have to say I am not a network crack so I might have overseen an option or understand something wrong.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

The article suggests not using in bridge mode might slow the network down, it doesn’t say that this mode of operation is mandatory (the word Matthias uses).

I actually want a separate subnet anyway, to completely isolate the system networking from anything else in the house, which may well have its own benefits.

Personally I think this is nothing to be concerned about.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Sorry, maybe the term "mandatory" was too strong, otoh IMO it is so far not completely clear what the most musical configuration of the Amplifi HD is when used together with an existing ISP modem/router.

It should be easy with a pure modem, but most certainly the users here got from their ISP one case with modem/router/wifi functionality which can be placed in bridge mode in some cases or not at all.

At least it would be nice to know how both routers are exactly configured in a set-up with the Amplifi HD.
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

If you want to configure the Amplifi HD so that only the streamer uses it, it will have to be configured in bridge mode.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I don’t follow your reasoning Pete?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

IIUC, in Fredrik's case a fiber modem is feeding the Amplifi HD. That means the A HD is not working in bridge mode and is fully in charge of all router capabilities.
Matt