Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended network components

Post by springwood64 »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-27 21:32 Maybe my hearing is impaired because of post-COVID?
I'm mid Covid and have nothing to do but listen to music. So far everything sounds better...
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-27 20:28 here is the comparison between non bridge mode and bridge mode:

Purple:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q2shmfui88auq ... 3.mov?dl=0

Rain:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jl3kr09hrokrd ... 3.mov?dl=0

… for Matthias (but not only for him) - what do you think?
I don't hear any meaningful difference between these two.
tpetsch
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tpetsch »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-27 20:28 here is the comparison between non bridge mode and bridge mode:

Purple:

Rain:

Purple is more in tune for me, Rain fails to get me interested in the music/song.
Rega P10, Aphelion II, Aura. Naim CB 32.5/HC, Naxo 3-6/HC, 3x250 into K20/DMS.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Purple for me too.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Another vote for purple.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I agree with all who voted for Purple which is the Purple from the comparison White => Purple

In the room I have the feeling the bridge mode pronounced something which I didnt like with Purple - a sense of restlessness which I hear even more when switching to bridge mode. This might come over as more „engaged“ or more active or faster.

However, this leaves me with a compromise - either more issues with MS Teams or more music.
But maybe the the Teams issue is not solved with the bridge mode and was just an ISP issue or a different network issue so I can go back to without bridge mode.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thanks Defender for posting.
Anyway, I would give the bridge mode a few days to settle in and see if the Teams issue is solved.
If this is the case it would be a good sign that the routing runs more smoothly which also is certainly not bad for music.
So what about a reevaluation maybe in two weeks?
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

yes I usually try things for a longer time to let things settle. However I already gave it 6hours to settle before doing the recording.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I’m sorry but I don’t follow.

White is bridged mode?
You think it’s worse or not?
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

sorry for the confusion
Purple: was normal mode (Purple Cable between Amplifi 2. => GS108)
Rain: was bridge mode (Purple Cable between Amplifi 2. => GS108)

With Purple I used the same Purple Cable and recording as with the comparison to the White cable in the comparison before.

BTW the bridge mode didnt help with MS Teams - there are still issues with dropout on teams so I prioritized her laptop lets see if that helps.

some choose Rain (bridge mode) some said its even some choose Purple - in room I like the non bridge mode which is Purple
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-28 16:11 BTW the bridge mode didnt help with MS Teams - there are still issues with dropout on teams so I prioritized her laptop lets see if that helps.
May I ask what's the internet speed in Mbps you get from your ISP?

Can you connect the laptop of your GF and all other wifi devices ONLY to the Amplifi next to your router and NOT to the Amplifi next to streamer?
This might help.
Matt

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

OK Guys

Quick question for the impressive number of people here who understand networks and routers.

I have a Virgin 3 Hub acting as a modem /router and a BT WIfi mesh system.

Should I be looking at converting the Virgin Hub 3.0 as a Modem only and then use a 'recommended' router such as the Amplifi HD and its associated mesh units.

I just have nagging feeling that my router/mesh system might be sub optimal.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

u252agz - the answer is: difficult to know - the best is to try
It seems networks are another topic where a pragmatic view like „keep it simple and straightforward“ doesn't work … otherwise we would not use our beloved GS108T
The is in my opinion a definite benefit in integrating the Amplifi HD‘s into your music distribution system.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-29 11:52 u252agz - the answer is: difficult to know - the best is to try
It seems networks are another topic where a pragmatic view like „keep it simple and straightforward“ doesn't work … otherwise we would not use our beloved GS108T
The is in my opinion a definite benefit in integrating the Amplifi HD‘s into your music distribution system.
I agree. Adding the Amplifi HD's to my existing modem/router has brought a very significant benefit.

I do not have the option of using just the modem part of my existing router.
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-29 10:48 Should I be looking at converting the Virgin Hub 3.0 as a Modem only and then use a 'recommended' router such as the Amplifi HD and its associated mesh units.
AFAIK, it is possible to place the VH in modem mode, so you can use the Amplifis as router/mesh in a similar configuration as Fredrik does.
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-29 10:48 I have a Virgin 3 Hub acting as a modem /router and a BT WIfi mesh system.

Should I be looking at converting the Virgin Hub 3.0 as a Modem only and then use a 'recommended' router such as the Amplifi HD and its associated mesh units.

I just have nagging feeling that my router/mesh system might be sub optimal.
It all depends on your domestic requirements & your network needs within your household. Few of us have the luxury of optimising our home network solely for our music, so compromises come into play. You already use a mesh system which suggests that you need that for whole-house wifi coverage. So, are you looking ahead in hopeful anticipation of replacing the BT mesh system with Amplifi HDs, or just looking to improve the music side of things?

Leaving your BT Wifi mesh system to one side for the moment, whether you leave your Virgin 3 Hub configured as it is, or convert it to modem only, the connection from V3H to 1st Amplifi HD is the same: wired from V3H to HD. From that point on, modem mode on the V3H is just a config change so doesn't significantly change how you'll install your Amplifi HDs.

Since you're just starting with the Amplifis, adding them primarily to get the most from your music, and likely don't want to disrupt the rest of the family's Internet access, then I would start by leaving the V3H & BT mesh exactly as it is. Place the 1st Amplifi HD within 2.5m, BJC-reach of the V3H, and the 2nd Amplifi near to your Kalla, plugged in & connected as recommended. Setup the Amplifi HDs as they're own Wifi/SSID. Test that musically, and see how you go (you can also test that setup for whole-house wifi range as necessary ;) If that setup doesn't work for you, it's easy to revert as you haven't changed your working mesh system. From there on it's result-based: if the HDs work musically then enjoy. If they provide the necessary wifi coverage to replace the BT mesh, then get that working before worrying about modem mode... (you can add another HD if needed ;)

If you put your V3H in modem mode, your BT mesh system possibly/likely won't work, so you'll be addressing that rather than focusing on adding the Amplifi HDs as a musical solution. If they ultimately replace your BT mesh then that's just a bonus. Modem'd V3H & Amplifi mesh might be a musically elegant solution, ultimately, but test, step-wise, and let us know :)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks for the advice everyone - really appreciated. I am really in awe of the level of understanding of digital systems on this forum.

I am just about to test the BT mesh unit into Kalla via GS108T and BJCs and when that has settled in - will try the Amplifi HD units as an extra wi Fi system and see whether it improves things.

I do wish I understood the digital side of things a bit better- will keep trying to educate myself.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-29 16:04 I am just about to test the BT mesh unit into Kalla via GS108T and BJCs and when that has settled in...
Is that in place of an existing cabled setup?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Purple:

Rain:

I've gone back and forth a number of times and I enjoy both pretty equally. It seems like Rain is a touch quieter than Purple but I don't find any real difference in tune or engagement.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thank you Tom for taking the time again and thank you all others which gave feedback.

I just switched back to how it was before that means to non bridge mode - maybe others should try too in case possible.

my learning is with networks nothing can be assumed even not that the performance of all BJCables are the same.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-03-29 16:08
u252agz wrote: 2022-03-29 16:04 I am just about to test the BT mesh unit into Kalla via GS108T and BJCs and when that has settled in...
Yes - a very, very long ‘ in the wall’ cat 5, ( from upstairs front of the house to downstairs back of the house Hi Fi room ) which surprisingly still sounded great with Kalla.

But the new set up - is even better. More musical , and better sound wise. Especially the bass notes - tighter and better controlled. The emotion in the music has gone up a few notches - just great.

The new set up is staying - the only thing I need to do is put my third BJC 6a between the Virgin router and the first Mesh unit as Fredrik recommended.

Interestingly my super long Cat 5 does not kill the musicality - like a bad switch, or a bad NAS, in my system, but the new set up is a substantial and very welcome improvement.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2022-03-29 22:26
Yes - a very, very long ‘ in the wall’ cat 5, ( from upstairs front of the house to downstairs back of the house Hi Fi room ) which surprisingly still sounded great with Kalla.

But the new set up - is even better. More musical , and better sound wise. Especially the bass notes - tighter and better controlled. The emotion in the music has gone up a few notches - just great.

The new set up is staying - the only thing I need to do is put my third BJC 6a between the Virgin router and the first Mesh unit as Fredrik recommended.

Interestingly my super long Cat 5 does not kill the musicality - like a bad switch, or a bad NAS, in my system, but the new set up is a substantial and very welcome improvement.
Good to read - congrats. And that's with "the BT mesh unit", or did you go ahead with the Amplifi HDs?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Is this now a pattern that a wifi connection between router and Källa (or another streamer) is musically superior to a wired connection?
Matt

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-30 05:06 Is this now a pattern that a wifi connection between router and Källa (or another streamer) is musically superior to a wired connection?
I wouldn’t go that far just yet. We’ve heard two examples of wired being more musical, so it appears that our particular network requirements affect the optimum arrangement.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-03-29 23:01
u252agz wrote: 2022-03-29 22:26

Good to read - congrats. And that's with "the BT mesh unit", or did you go ahead with the Amplifi HDs?
Yes - just the BT mesh units.

Getting even better with a few hours of run time on the cables/GS108T.

I am so pleased with the improvement that I will probable leave the Amplifi Units for a rainy day.

Digital has come a very, very long way in the last 12 months.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s