Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

Mitmu

Re: Recommended network components

Post by Mitmu »

fatjulio wrote: 2023-02-08 08:11 I'm the person who's been having a play with the settings in the GS108T. I've come to these settings and like it. You may need to pull the speakers forward a tad.

System: SNMP: Trap Flags: all enable (these are on by default)
Switching: Voice LAN: disable
Switching: STP: enable
Switching: Multicast: Auto Video: enable
Switching: Multicast: IGMP Snooping configuration: all 3 enable

These aren't definitive, but a place to start.
Tried this in my switch, only when at the last point I had a problem:
- Switching: Multicast: IGMP Snooping configuration: all 3 enable
> if I enable 'Block Unknown Multicast Address' I cannot find the Kalla anymore in Spotify, what am I doing wrong?

I was a bit too fast, as also in the previous reply this issue was posted....

Any ideas?
Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 40th-SuperKikkin-Kalla-Tundra 2.5
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I don't have a Kalla or use Spotify, I have a Hakai, so that didn't happen to me. If that setting needs to be off, then leave it off.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

fatjulio wrote: 2023-03-31 20:00 I don't have a Kalla or use Spotify, I have a Hakai, so that didn't happen to me. If that setting needs to be off, then leave it off.
indeed :)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-30 11:22
matthias wrote: 2021-09-30 09:14 I do not know which WiFi-to-Ethernet converter Fredrik found sounding better than a cabled connection but from the reports on other audio forums this device seems to fulfill this qualification:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-network ... der/re650/
We haven't tested that particular model, but some others. And the best sounding one was a TP-Link called TL-WR802N. There's a similar looking model ending with AC that is not as good.

It's a mini travel router, which in this application you set to Client Mode and connect it with an ethernet cable to Källa. The supplied 5V mains adapter doesn't sound great and is best replaced by one of the bigger Apple adapters (we found the 96W model sounded best but the next one down isn't bad either).

We found this arrangement sounding better than a regular cabled connection and a GS-108T switch in only one network. Interestingly, in that same network and using a cabled connection, adding a GS-108T switch didn't bring any improvement. So apparently this network was an outlier. In all other networks, adding the switch improved the music.

When using this WiFi-to-Ethernet adapter, adding a switch never seems beneficial.
So that 96W apple adapter you refer to is that the fast charging USB-C type with cable going from C to micro USB ?
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, that’s the one.
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Mitmu wrote: 2023-03-31 12:13
fatjulio wrote: 2023-02-08 08:11 I'm the person who's been having a play with the settings in the GS108T. I've come to these settings and like it. You may need to pull the speakers forward a tad.

> if I enable 'Block Unknown Multicast Address' I cannot find the Kalla anymore in Spotify, what am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?
Found the solution to this 'issue', when you assign a fixed ip address to Kalla the settins for Enabling of 'Block Unknown Multicast Address' is no problem any more :)
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Mitmu wrote: 2023-04-13 20:25
Mitmu wrote: 2023-03-31 12:13

Any ideas?
Found the solution to this 'issue', when you assign a fixed ip address to Kalla the settins for Enabling of 'Block Unknown Multicast Address' is no problem any more :)
Hmm too soon I think, it stopped again all of a sudden... never mind, keep it disabled and all works fine :)
Mitmu

Post by Mitmu »

Has anyone tested if a fixed ip adress for the network switch has a positive effect? Less junk flowing around compared to DHCP?
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I don't know how DHCP affects the sound as all devices on my network have fixed IP addresses. Källa like Fredrik recommends outside the range. Would just try
Trust your ears
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I've been doing testing on which network port on the Amplifi HD sounds the best. When looking at the back of it, the lower left is the one. It's labelled number 3. Both of my Amplifi's (sender and receiver) agree with this. See what you think. All 4 ports sound different. If possible, don't have anything else connected to them. Not possible in a lot of situations I know.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting! I'll have to try that on my receiver. The sender has all ports used as it is the switch for my MacPro and two printers. However, the fourth port goes over to a Netgear switch and my TV system (with last analog version Majik DSM, AppleTV 4K, Sony 4K BluRay and LG panel) so using port 3 for that may improve things too.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The AmpliFi HD units have been unavailable for some time and don't look to be coming back (the US store doesn't even list AmpliFi units and the Canadian store shows the HD unit as sold out, other stores show it as out of stock or back-ordered). Has anyone tried other mesh network senders and receivers (Netgear, TP Link, Eero, etc.) to see if there is a suitable replacement? It would be nice to have something else to recommend.
The LP12 Whisperer
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-09-29 19:45 The AmpliFi HD units have been unavailable for some time and don't look to be coming back (the US store doesn't even list AmpliFi units and the Canadian store shows the HD unit as sold out, other stores show it as out of stock or back-ordered). Has anyone tried other mesh network senders and receivers (Netgear, TP Link, Eero, etc.) to see if there is a suitable replacement? It would be nice to have something else to recommend.
Easy to find on 2nd hand market in the Netherlands
Not in US?
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2023-09-29 19:45 ... Has anyone tried other mesh network senders and receivers (Netgear, TP Link, Eero, etc.) to see if there is a suitable replacement? It would be nice to have something else to recommend.
I believe Azazello used Asus to good(?) effect - viewtopic.php?p=64108#p64108 - don't know if he ever compared against AmpliFi HDs :?

Fwiw, I bought an Asus to replace a TP-Link, using an Airport Express as a wifi client for Kalla, so not a mesh setup. Due to set up time, and other factors, I didn't tunedem the difference, but the new Asus seemed to be a modest but noticeable (real or imagined ;) musical improvement.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Sopper wrote: 2023-09-29 20:16
ThomasOK wrote: 2023-09-29 19:45 The AmpliFi HD units have been unavailable for some time and don't look to be coming back (the US store doesn't even list AmpliFi units and the Canadian store shows the HD unit as sold out, other stores show it as out of stock or back-ordered). Has anyone tried other mesh network senders and receivers (Netgear, TP Link, Eero, etc.) to see if there is a suitable replacement? It would be nice to have something else to recommend.
Easy to find on 2nd hand market in the Netherlands
Not in US?
I think it's more that, as US distributor, Thomas would like an available recommendation for dealers and customers. Suggesting 2nd hand market for network components in support of a digital streamer sale doesn't do the brand or product justice.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

fatjulio wrote: 2023-09-29 08:21 I've been doing testing on which network port on the Amplifi HD sounds the best. When looking at the back of it, the lower left is the one. It's labelled number 3. Both of my Amplifi's (sender and receiver) agree with this. See what you think. All 4 ports sound different. If possible, don't have anything else connected to them. Not possible in a lot of situations I know.
Thank you fatjulio!

Tried it this evening and number three sounds really good.

I have two units; one where the fiber and its modem enters the apartment. No connections to the LAN ports on that one.

Second one is at the system, serving as a mesh point for the first unit, with only one LAN connected which is GS-108T (which connects to Källa).

All other equipment is connected by WiFi, including Apple TV near the system.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

The port above, number 1, is second place. See what you think of that one.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just tried port 3 on mine connected to the GS308T and Källa and found it was indeed better, thanks. It had been in port 1 which had already sounded good. I unplugged and replugged the connector into port 1 first to make sure I wasn't comparing a dirty contact to a clean one. Then listened to 1 and switched to 3. Port 3 was definitely more musical. Now I have connected the TV system into 3 on the main unit (it was also in 1) so I'll have to see if the TV sounds better tomorrow when I watch a couple of shows.

When I was doing this I noticed the main AmpliFi HD front panel said there was an update available so I had it proceed. It updates the main and remote units at the same time. I don't know if this is common but it is pretty cool. Once back up I played the same track I had above. I can't honestly say it is any more musical, there were several minutes between listening to before and after, but it certainly wasn't worse and might even be a touch better.

Tokenbrit is correct about me looking for something I can recommend to dealers and customers. I was checking availability new yesterday and saw it pretty much doesn't exist. I also ran into a forum talking about the AmpliFi HD where a couple of people who were big network people said that they couldn't do some of the fancy network configuration they would like to do and that it wasn't as fast as some others. But even those people said it was the most solid and foolproof setup they had installed, citing setups they had put in for family members because they then never got calls about network problems. Pretty much everyone on the forum agreed to the solidity and robustness of the AmpliFi HD. I also found out how old the design is so it certainly appears that Ubiquiti needs to come out with a WiFi 6 mesh system. I wonder if they have just decided o opt out of the consumer side of the business? Asus has a pretty highly rated unit, the XT8, that is WiFi6 and otherwise seems similar. Each unit has 4 Ethernet ports with one being w 2.5/1Gbps WAN port and three other ports. They come in two packs normally for $449 but it is currently under $315 the pair from Amazon. There are a bunch of units out there, it would just be nice to have a good alternative.
The LP12 Whisperer
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Same here! I had Källa on port 1 on Amplifi HD and changed to port 3.

Better! Thank you! Been on one of my lists to compare those ports, but you beat me to it, fatjulio.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I also use two Amplifi HD for my NG-KSH and can confirm that the Port 3 sounds a bit more musical. Thanks fatjulio for the free upgrade!
Klimax LP12 (Rad 2; Ekst), Urika II, NG-KSH, 2x KEB (Organik), Silvers, 2x A4200, K400, Komris
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2023-10-21 23:01 Is there a ranking of the current Netgear switches according to model?
I only know that the current 308T was found to be a close alternative to the discontinued 108T... otherwise there was mention of the 108 v4, but I don't know of any ranking of current Netgear switches - would be interested to find out if anyone has compared beyond those 2 or 3
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I compared the Netgear GS105, GS108Tv3, with a short form factor, GS108Tv1 long form factor, GS308Tv4 and a Cisco 2960. What remained was the GS308T, which sounded superior to all the others.

I don't remember the name of two D-link switches, but they also lost out to the Netgears.
Trust your ears
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Thanks

That’s good to know

I wish I had known before ordering the 108T v3 which seems to be the culprit with Kalla dropping off the network .

My 308T is with Kalla #017 ands sounds really good. #020 is linked to an older 108 and so far so good.
The errant 108 T had been relegated to serve my Linn sneaky ( all cat 5 connections) and so far seems to be behaving itself.

I’ll monitor for a few more days but am inclined to get another 308T - this has never lost the connection to any of my Kallas.

As an update, one of my Kallas made an appearance on the DHCP page of my router settings - but refuses to go into the reserved list .

One good thing about repeatedly going into all the settings is that I realised both my Kallas had at some stage reverted to auto DHCP and now with fixed addresses sound even better. Especially the one with TM3s.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

The GS108Tv2 (the best sounding version) is available used on eBay for less than £40. It was originally offered with a lifetime guarantee and the specs quoted something like millions of hours mean time before failure, so they make a solid used buy.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko wrote: 2023-10-22 17:34 The GS108Tv2 (the best sounding version) is available used on eBay for less than £40. It was originally offered with a lifetime guarantee and the specs quoted something like millions of hours mean time before failure, so they make a solid used buy.
I have a very simple network: a 4G wireless router with one ethernet port into a single switch which is only connected to Kalla. There are no other wired connections, only wireless from the router.

My GS108Tv2 is a little bit more musical than a GS308Tv1 - using the same power supply from the GS108Tv2, which in turn sounded a little better on the GS308Tv1 than its own power supply. And yes, I have a second-hand spare GS108Tv2.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty