Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

markiteight

Re: Recommended network components

Post by markiteight »

Discussions about network issues has been moved here.
ljknewbie

Post by ljknewbie »

Hello,

I hope this is the right place for the question I have.

My home network has the service providers modem connected to a Netgear switch (not the suggested model as I require more ports) which provides separate direct wired connections to the Källa on a fixed IP from the main router.

The main Netgear switch (attached with the main router) also, through an independent cable, gets wired to a wifi router in the room for my wifi needs (phone/tablet/laptops etc).

The Källa power cable is independently connected to the wall socket without no intermediate devices like power strip etc. which I have kept powered on since I have installed the Källa.

Now to some questions which I hope haven’t been answered already. Tried the search feature but could not find a relevant thread/comment.

1. Should I get a separate switch as suggested? This will make the connection to the Källa through 2 switches. (Modem to Home Netgear switch to Källa Netgear switch)

2. The IP config is on Automatic mode but the IP will remain static irrespective of any internet/power failures (which strangely got tested due to an internet outage by service provider for a few hours. The IP didn't change even after I rebooted the Modem). Should I still create the static IP as suggested through the interface.? I would like to avoid this.

3. I saw on another topic that the Källa interface on safari shows the temperature and frequency. I do not see this at all. My firmware 16 and there are no updates.

Thanks for your answers
1: ARC VSi75/Rega P6 (Ania Pro MC)/Entity/mdsm3/Kan II

2: Tundra/SK/Källa/T+A S 2100 CTL
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

ljknewbie wrote: 2023-11-21 08:01 My home network has the service providers modem connected to a Netgear switch (not the suggested model as I require more ports) which provides separate direct wired connections to the Källa on a fixed IP from the main router.

The main Netgear switch (attached with the main router) also, through an independent cable, gets wired to a wifi router in the room for my wifi needs (phone/tablet/laptops etc).

The Källa power cable is independently connected to the wall socket without no intermediate devices like power strip etc. which I have kept powered on since I have installed the Källa.

Now to some questions which I hope haven’t been answered already. Tried the search feature but could not find a relevant thread/comment.

1. Should I get a separate switch as suggested? This will make the connection to the Källa through 2 switches. (Modem to Home Netgear switch to Källa Netgear switch)

2. The IP config is on Automatic mode but the IP will remain static irrespective of any internet/power failures (which strangely got tested due to an internet outage by service provider for a few hours. The IP didn't change even after I rebooted the Modem). Should I still create the static IP as suggested through the interface.? I would like to avoid this.

3. I saw on another topic that the Källa interface on safari shows the temperature and frequency. I do not see this at all. My firmware 16 and there are no updates.
Hi ljknewbie!

1. I can't say for certain that adding a GS-108T switch in between Källa and your main switch will bring an improvement. Maybe, maybe not. To be certain you need to compare with and without.

2. If you want to avoid it, then don't do it! The only reason the option of setting Källa to fixed IP is that there is a small improvement in sound quality to be gained. It's by no means necessary.

3. If you go to the web interface of Källa and press 'Settings', you will see the CPU temperature and frequency. None of them are of any practical use to the owner, but we use them to see that the tuning of the computer module is correct. The frequency should be drifting slowly around 900 MHz and the temperature is used to check whether it responds normally to workload. Some modules heat up more and then I replace them, because there's a correlation between that behaviour and sound quality.

What is the rest of your system and how is it powered? Although plugging Källa straight into the wall, it really matters more how closely it is powered to the pre amp. If the preamp is plugged into the first outlet of a power strip, I would put Källa on the second. Compare that to having it plugged directly into the wall! And before shutting down Källa, please go to the web interface, press 'Turn off' and wait five seconds until you hit the power button.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Update: I saw in your other thread that there’s a turntable, an Entity, Kikkin and Tundra in your system. Or at least soon will be.

Then I propose the following order for the components in your power strip:

Mains power in
Kikkin
Källa
Turntable
Entity
Tundra

That’s five units, are there any more? If it’s only five and you happen to have a strip with six outlets, I would suggest this:

Mains power in
1. Kikkin
2. Källa
3. Turntable
4. Entity
5. Empty outlet
6. Tundra
ljknewbie

Post by ljknewbie »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-11-21 22:20
ljknewbie wrote: 2023-11-21 08:01 My home network has the service providers modem connected to a Netgear switch (not the suggested model as I require more ports) which provides separate direct wired connections to the Källa on a fixed IP from the main router.

Hi ljknewbie!

1. I can't say for certain that adding a GS-108T switch in between Källa and your main switch will bring an improvement. Maybe, maybe not. To be certain you need to compare with and without.

2. If you want to avoid it, then don't do it! The only reason the option of setting Källa to fixed IP is that there is a small improvement in sound quality to be gained. It's by no means necessary.

3. If you go to the web interface of Källa and press 'Settings', you will see the CPU temperature and frequency. None of them are of any practical use to the owner, but we use them to see that the tuning of the computer module is correct. The frequency should be drifting slowly around 900 MHz and the temperature is used to check whether it responds normally to workload. Some modules heat up more and then I replace them, because there's a correlation between that behaviour and sound quality.

What is the rest of your system and how is it powered? Although plugging Källa straight into the wall, it really matters more how closely it is powered to the pre amp. If the preamp is plugged into the first outlet of a power strip, I would put Källa on the second. Compare that to having it plugged directly into the wall! And before shutting down Källa, please go to the web interface, press 'Turn off' and wait five seconds until you hit the power button.
Hello,

Thanks for your response.

Would try the out the switch, but looks like the model you recommend is no longer available. There is a corresponding model available which has power over the ethernet. Would you recommend a switch which is powered over the ethernet?

Located the temp/frequency on the interface and both are in order.

To answer your question regarding the other components.

1. Audio Research (vsi75) integrated tube amp directly connected to a wall socket. This moves to by second system once I get the Tundra.
2. Entity directly connected to another wall socket.

Both are individually powered by 2 different wall sockets independent of each other. ie not on the same wall strip. No other component is connected to either of the power points.

3. The Källa is connected to a 3rd independent wall socket. The second plug point of this wall strip powers the TT power supply/speed controller with a belkin power strip.
Last edited by ljknewbie on 2023-11-24 12:33, edited 2 times in total.

ljknewbie

Post by ljknewbie »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-11-22 18:11 Update: I saw in your other thread that there’s a turntable, an Entity, Kikkin and Tundra in your system. Or at least soon will be.

Then I propose the following order for the components in your power strip:

Mains power in
Kikkin
Källa
Turntable
Entity
Tundra

That’s five units, are there any more? If it’s only five and you happen to have a strip with six outlets, I would suggest this:

Mains power in
1. Kikkin
2. Källa
3. Turntable
4. Entity
5. Empty outlet
6. Tundra
Thanks for the above suggestions and will follow this. ;)

erho

Post by erho »

A question regarding the Netgear switch, is that item to use with the delivered power supply or is it adviced to get a better one? Thanks you
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

erho wrote: 2024-01-17 10:52 A question regarding the Netgear switch, is that item to use with the delivered power supply or is it adviced to get a better one? Thanks you
Supplied psu
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
erho

Post by erho »

Thank you Sopper.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I tried different power supplies, which initially came with different Netgear switches. Then two ifi power supplies and medically approved (Friwo) as longitudinally regulated types. Ultimately back to the original, whereby an power supply block from a old GS108T gets along perfectly with the new GS308T.
Trust your ears
erho

Post by erho »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-17 12:10 I tried different power supplies, which initially came with different Netgear switches. Then two ifi power supplies and medically approved (Friwo) as longitudinally regulated types. Ultimately back to the original, whereby an power supply block from a old GS108T gets along perfectly with the new GS308T.
ok, thank you
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Hermann wrote: 2024-01-17 12:10 I tried different power supplies, which initially came with different Netgear switches. Then two ifi power supplies and medically approved (Friwo) as longitudinally regulated types. Ultimately back to the original, whereby an power supply block from a old GS108T gets along perfectly with the new GS308T.
I found the same although I didn't try the iFi, just the Friwo. If you live in a country where you this works it is also worthwhile plugging in the PS both directions. One sounds better and it varies with the PS.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
erho

Post by erho »

if I connect a Nas or Roon Rock which place on the switch should I use and also should I use the power block where the switch and streamer are connected?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I don’t know exactly what Roon Rock consists of, but I recommend staying well away from their software if you care about music. Källa works with Roon (well at least so far it has) but looses its magic. This is because the optimised timing of Protokoll is messed up by Roon taking charge of what is played and where.

If adding a NAS, yes it sounds best if connected to the switch and powered by the same strip as router/mesh point and switch.
erho

Post by erho »

lejonklou wrote: 2024-01-18 12:21 I don’t know exactly what Roon Rock consists of, but I recommend staying well away from their software if you care about music. Källa works with Roon (well at least so far it has) but looses its magic. This is because the optimised timing of Protokoll is messed up by Roon taking charge of what is played and where.

If adding a NAS, yes it sounds best if connected to the switch and powered by the same strip as router/mesh point and switch.
thank you for clarification, really helpful
Zee9

Post by Zee9 »

This may have been answered before but I couldn’t find an answer with a search. The main system also has a TV with a fire stick etc and I’ve kept the electrical and network switches separate.

An Apple AirPort Extreme caters to the video network connections and a gs108v2 just for audio. Is it detrimental to connect the gs108 to the Apple AirPort Extreme. The other option is to run a second cable from my router which just adds one more cable to the aesthetics and id prefer to avoid it.

Sorry I’m not very well aversed in network things.
1. LP12/Selekt/AK/0(d)/TS 2.5/kabers+RelT7i
2. WiiM/AK/1(d)/TS 2.2/Kan II
3. Genki/Kairn/5105/Kabers