Recommended control points

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended control points

Post by David Neel »

Has anyone tried iPhone 13 or 14, and if so with what results?

I'm completely happy with my iPad mini 6, but my Samsung phone is getting old and if the new iPhones are musical...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

David Neel wrote: 2022-10-11 09:18 Has anyone tried iPhone 13 or 14, and if so with what results?

I'm completely happy with my iPad mini 6, but my Samsung phone is getting old and if the new iPhones are musical...
Hello David!

iPhone 13 Pro Max is on the list on page 1.

We recently tested iPhone 14 Pro Max and it's close to 13. It's difficult to position it precisely in the list without having all the other units at hand.

iPad mini 6 is still the best!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks! The Pro Max is too big for me as a phone, and both Pro and Pro Max seem to have some different internals to the regular iPhone, so I thought it worth asking. I'll likely buy one or the other regular sized basic version, but just as a phone.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Right, I see.

We haven't tested the regular versions of iPhone 13 and 14. Will do when we get our hands on them!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Has anyone upgraded(?) their mini 6 to iPadOS 16? Is it ‘safe’ or advisable to do so?
Whatsmynaim

Post by Whatsmynaim »

I have a follow up question for us iPhone 11 users. Is it recommended to install iOS 16?
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

For anyone in the US looking for one I just received a Costco Holidays book and the iPad Mini 6 is on sale from November 14th through the 28th for $439. There is also going to be an Apple Savings Event from November 25th through the 28th but it doesn't say which models or what savings. There is a QR code which probably takes you to more information on that.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-10-25 10:20 Has anyone upgraded(?) their mini 6 to iPadOS 16? Is it ‘safe’ or advisable to do so?
I haven't done it yet but will soon. Expect it to be great, see below.
Whatsmynaim wrote: 2022-10-25 17:48 I have a follow up question for us iPhone 11 users. Is it recommended to install iOS 16?
Yes! I installed iOS 16 on my iPhone 11 and it now sounds a little better than iPad mini 6 on the last version of iPadOS 15.

It used to always be the reverse - iPad mini 6 a little better than iPhone 11.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Update regarding iOS 16.1 installed on various units: Sounds better than ever.
Gammaboy*

Post by Gammaboy* »

I upgraded my iPad mini 6 to iOS 16.1 yesterday, roughly 10 days after replacing the Netgear 108v2 switch with the 308. Changing the switch is a nice improvement, but upgrading to iOS 16.1 is really quite something, at least to my ears.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Installed IOS 16.1 on the Mini6 this morning. I didn't do a direct A/B as I was running around getting ready for work but it did seem to sound better.
The LP12 Whisperer
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

In the United States, amazon.com currently has the iPad Mini6 on sale for $399. That's 20% off. This is fulfilled by Amazon, not some 3rd party fly-by-night operation. This discount is only on the base model (64gB, Wifi only), other configurations are regular price.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

markiteight wrote: 2022-11-10 23:33 In the United States, amazon.com currently has the iPad Mini6 on sale for $399. That's 20% off. This is fulfilled by Amazon, not some 3rd party fly-by-night operation. This discount is only on the base model (64gB, Wifi only), other configurations are regular price.
That is the best price I have seen and you are buying from Amazon themselves. I went to check because you have to be careful about "Fulfilled by Amazon" as you could be buying from just about anybody, with various return policies and sometimes dicey merchandise. There are some other discounted iPad Mini6 units but most say they are "refreshed" or something similar.

However, that brings up another option to keep in mind. At the Apple Store they have a section for refurbished gear. These are rebuilt by Apple, work like new, have a guarantee (although sometimes shorter than for new) and usually have new cases and screens. You can often find new perfromance here at a decent discount. I haven't checked them lately but always worth a look.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Is there a trick to keeping a Mini connected to Kalla?

A while after the playlist finishes - I haven't figured how long - my Mini (or Spotify on my Mini) reverts to playing locally, and I need to go back into Spotify, or the top right drag down, to reselect Lejonklou...

Or is the trick to just keep playing music to Kalla so that the control point connection doesn't go idle & 'timeout'? :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just leave it on playing one of the playlists continuously. At first it would kick itself off every once in a while but now it plays continuously unless there is a power outage.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-11-19 17:13 I just leave it on playing one of the playlists continuously. At first it would kick itself off every once in a while but now it plays continuously unless there is a power outage.
Thanks. It plays through a playlist continuously here too. It's just once the playlist finishes: oftentimes I have to reselect Lejonklou in Airplay on the Mini... I was hoping there was a way - via settings or config in Spotify or iPadOS - to maintain the selection or connection to play to Kalla :/
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, the mini drops Källa after some time of inactivity. I don’t know exactly how long. I currently don’t know how to change that.

Our Apple TV, however, always defaults to the last selected output. Which at home is Källa. This works out perfectly for us, because if someone plays music and later somebody wants to watch TV, it directs the sound to Källa automatically.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

One thing I forgot to mention is that I keep mine plugged into AC all the time except when I am taking it in a different room to change the music. Used this way I haven't had disconnections.
The LP12 Whisperer
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-19 20:42 Yes, the mini drops Källa after some time of inactivity. I don’t know exactly how long. I currently don’t know how to change that.

Our Apple TV, however, always defaults to the last selected output. Which at home is Källa. This works out perfectly for us, because if someone plays music and later somebody wants to watch TV, it directs the sound to Källa automatically.
A little bit off topic, but I was watching a drama via an app on the Apple TV through Källa and Boazu a few days ago. The sound track was utterly captivating and believable. Id watched the same programme on another tv a few days earlier and unfortunately the sound worked against, rather than enhancing, my enjoyment. Apple TV + Källa is a great combination!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I agree!

Apple TV to Källa is fantastic. Dialogues become touching and atmospheres intense.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-19 20:42 Yes, the mini drops Källa after some time of inactivity. I don’t know exactly how long. I currently don’t know how to change that.

So I need an AppleTV? Or a second iPad Mini so there's always one to hand? Or suck it up and just go get the Mini from wherever I left it... :)
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-05-02 13:50 Control point musicality, from best to worst (list will be continually updated):

iPad mini 6
iPhone 11
MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max 32GB unified connected with cable
MacBook Pro 16” M1 Max 32GB unified using WiFi
MacBook Pro 16" i9 connected with cable
iPad Pro gen3 11" M1 connected with cable
iPad Pro gen3 11" M1
iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max
iPhone 6+
iPhone 8+
MacBook Pro 16" i9 using WiFi
Mac Mini 2015 using WiFi
iPad Pro 11"
iPad Pro 10.5"
iPad mini 1
iPad mini 5
iPhone 12 mini
iPhone 6S

Updated 2022-05-23
There appears to be an error here. The iPad Pro gen3 11" used the A12X chip, not the M1. The M1 appeared in the 5th gen iPad Pro. So should the 6th and 7th rankings be the 3rd gen or the 5th gen?

Further down the list is an entry for 'iPad Pro 11"'. It's a safe guess that this is whatever the higher ranked iPad isn't, but that leaves two possible generations (actually 3, but as the M2 powered iPad Pro is brand new I'm assuming it hasn't been tested yet).

What's the process for connecting with cable? Is there some sort of USB-C to CAT6 adaptor? Are you then connecting to the switch?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thank you Mi8!

I was ready to correct the list, but then looked it up and Apple’s website says
iPad Pro, 11-tums (3:e generationen) - Teknisk information: M1 chip

Connecting with cable is using a USB-C adapter like this: https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/30 ... BuEALw_wcB

I think it was a little better to connect it to the mesh unit than to the switch.
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

I just had to look it up too, and you're right! Apple themselves say the 3rd gen iPad Pro has an M1 processor, even though the M1 didn't exist for another 2 years!

They also say it was available with 2T of storage, which it wasn't.

They also say it had either 8gb or 16 gb of ram, which it didn't (4 or 6 gb for that gen).

So their own specs are wrong! I have a 3rd gen 11" iPad Pro, model MU162LL/A. If you look up the specs by that model you'll see that it is indeed an A12X.

Edit:
Ahhhh...I think I figured out the confusion. The M1 equipped 11" iPad Pro is the 3rd incarnation of the 11" model. However the first two gens of the Pro were 9.5" and 10.5", respectively. So the M1 is the 5th generation of iPad Pro, but the 3rd version of the 11" model. Clear as mud!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

You put the edit in just before I was going to post it.

11” appears to be the key here.