Recommended control points

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended control points

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-27 22:52 The list of recommended control points has been updated.
Thanks,
I really hope that some good sounding (with WiFi) MacBooks will be released.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I was just looking at iPhone 11s and thought I would mention that with the release of the iPhone 13 the prices have dropped. Apple is selling the unlocked 64GB iPhone 11 at $499 and the 128GB version at $549 in the US now. That's $200 less than it was a few weeks ago and to me makes it a mandatory accessory for the Källa. I will be procuring one soon. I did also wonder if the amount of memory had any musical effect. You wouldn't think so but then...
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

For those who don't want to buy a new iPhone 11, there's also the option of a refurbished one @ i.e. www.refurbed.de or www.rebuy.de - I'm sure there are similar sites worldwide.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-09-30 10:02 For those who don't want to buy a new iPhone 11, there's also the option of a refurbished one @ i.e. www.refurbed.de or www.rebuy.de - I'm sure there are similar sites worldwide.
Thank you ...
Music First ...
Vlado
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-09-30 10:02 For those who don't want to buy a new iPhone 11, there's also the option of a refurbished one @ i.e. www.refurbed.de or www.rebuy.de - I'm sure there are similar sites worldwide.
Always worth checking the Apple Store in the US for clearance/refurbs. The advantage here is that they come with new outer shell and new battery. Tested and latest OS installed. New box and all normal accessories are also included. Unfortunately when I checked they had a number of 11 Pro or Pro Max but no standard 11s. But it changes on a regular basis.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-05-02 13:50 Control point musicality, from best to worst (list will be continually updated):
Updated 2021-09-27
Fredrik,
am I right that MacBooks with the new Apple silicon chips have not yet been tested?

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, that's correct Matthias.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

I would be very happy if someone explained to me what control points are and what they are needed for in the Källa setup. And why do I not need such a control point for my NDS now or is there one?

Thanks a lot
Trust your ears
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Hermann wrote: 2021-10-01 09:39 I would be very happy if someone explained to me what control points are and what they are needed for in the Källa setup. And why do I not need such a control point for my NDS now or is there one?
Thanks a lot
How do you select the music you want to play currently? In the Naim app on your phone? Then the phone is your control point. If you select it on your laptop, then that's your control point.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Tendaberry wrote: 2021-10-01 10:05
Hermann wrote: 2021-10-01 09:39 I would be very happy if someone explained to me what control points are and what they are needed for in the Källa setup. And why do I not need such a control point for my NDS now or is there one?
Thanks a lot
How do you select the music you want to play currently? In the Naim app on your phone? Then the phone is your control point. If you select it on your laptop, then that's your control point.
the only difference is now the control point has an influence on the music because of the protocol used for transfering the music
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2021-10-01 09:39 I would be very happy if someone explained to me what control points are and what they are needed for in the Källa setup.
The whole Källa experience is like a symbiosis between CP(iPhone, iPad, Mac) and Källa.
You receive music from Qobuz or Spotify in the app of the CP. Then the music is sent in a protocol (developed by the manufacturer of the CP) from the CP via the network to Källa. The retrieval, processing and converting to analog of this signal in Källa has been perfected during four years by Fredrik and his team to achieve the best musicality.
The great advantage of this symbiosis is that Källa has not to care for receiving of the music from the streaming services. This is done by the CP. When Qobuz and Spotify improve the musicality of their apps or the CPs are improved as well Källa gets better data and a superior analog signal reaches your preamp.

Matt
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks for your patience and explanations. Even more so as it is actually very simple...

@Tendaberry
Currently via Naim app Intenet Radio (Android tablet) which is really rudimentary and doesn't even recognise the NAS. From PC to NAS via Foobar2000, which works very well. Well, two CPs.

@Defender & matthias
Very good explanation, thanks again. Now I understand the immense effort Fredrik and team put into optimising the transfer.

I am not familiar with Spotify etc, nor have I ever had/have the need to use them. Unless they offer internet radio, which Källa probably doesn't, right?

So for now, I assume that if a NAS is used, the CP has no influence on the musical quality of the signal to the streamer. It sends a command to the server, which sends files to the streamer and then only communicates metadata about the current playback status.

On the other hand, with Foobar it seems to be possible to convert hires recordings into CD quality. This is also not my field. I'd have to look into it, though, since, as far as I understand, Källa deliberately restricts itself to CD quality. Maybe Fredrik will write a plugin to achieve the maximum here as well? If that is at all possible.
Trust your ears
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hermann wrote: 2021-10-03 08:33 Unless they offer internet radio, which Källa probably doesn't, right?
The CP is the "receiver" of the internet radio and send it with the "protocol" to Källa.
So Källa can play all the sources which the CP can receive.

Matt
Matt

Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks Matt

I think in the future I'll have to look into it more. Must admit, until now I thought the streamer provided the service, but obviously it's the app. And with that, my problems pile up. VLC can receive stations, but not the ones I want to listen to. Windows can't access streamers directly and the Naim app only searches Naims. Foobar can't do it anyway.

But ok, when the Källa arrived, I'll have to compare it with the Naim NDS and the source will be the NAS.
Trust your ears
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

in your setup the control point controls what the nas is sending to the streamer but the protokoll the NAS is using influences the outcome

in the Källa setup the NAS would feed the Control Point and the CP sends it through the CP‘s protokoll to the streamer

CP => NAS => Naim
vs
Spotify/NAS => CP => Källa
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Are there any plans or a timeframe for testing an ipod touch against the current list of recommended control points?
Spec-wise it seems ideal, but it would have to sound good w/ Källa.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-10-19 09:10 Are there any plans or a timeframe for testing an ipod touch against the current list of recommended control points?
Spec-wise it seems ideal, but it would have to sound good w/ Källa.
I tried ordering one a while back, but at the time it wasn't available anywhere. Now I am more interested in testing the new iPad mini 6 and will likely get around to it soon. I just think the size is perfect, as it can be held in one hand and the screen is big enough to read about the artist I'm listening to etc.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

IMO, both the new IPad and new IPad mini are interesting but the regular one is much less expensive.
Might be one sounds better than the other with Källa...:-)

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2021-10-19 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-19 10:34 I tried ordering one a while back, but at the time it wasn't available anywhere. Now I am more interested in testing the new iPad mini 6 and will likely get around to it soon. I just think the size is perfect, as it can be held in one hand and the screen is big enough to read about the artist I'm listening to etc.
Thanks for the reply. Will be curious to find out where it ranks... I was interested in the iPod Touch for the possible $aving. IPad starts at the same price (US) as the iPhone 11 so it's a straight musical shootout :)
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

I’m curious if the control points being tested are set to static IP addresses?
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

teatime wrote: 2021-05-03 23:55
lejonklou wrote: 2021-05-03 23:48 Yes, that is how it's supposed to work. Still, assigning Källa with a fixed IP address instead of DHCP removes a small but easily heard "digital signature" in the music. Not once every 12 hours but all the time.
Do you have any explanation for how this can possibly be? It seems to defy understanding.

mDNS is reasonably far noisier in terms of number and frequency of messages, and I doubt you can turn that off, or Källa won't be found on the network. (Or?)
One advantage of fixed IP addresses from this source:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/advantage ... static-ip/

Your download and transfer speeds will in general be quicker –
Since there are fewer disparities related to a static IP, the speed of admittance to content is typically quicker when you have one allotted to your gadget. In the event that you are on DSL, the speed contrasts may not be perceptible. For fast broadband clients, notwithstanding, the distinctions can be more than 1 megabit. In case you’re continually downloading or transferring enormous documents to the web, you may wish to contrast the two arrangements with figure out which one might be the best for you.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

John wrote: 2021-10-22 22:11 I’m curious if the control points being tested are set to static IP addresses?
Yes, always.

With Källa, there's a really big difference between DHCP and fixed IP.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-22 23:29
John wrote: 2021-10-22 22:11 I’m curious if the control points being tested are set to static IP addresses?
Yes, always.

With Källa, there's a really big difference between DHCP and fixed IP.
Ok, so both Kalla and the iPhone/iPad have static IP addresses. It wasn’t clear to me reading this thread or the manual for Kalla. Interesting thread!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, misunderstanding. Late Friday night after having completed Källa 012!

Källa has fixed IP address during all comparisons of control points. The control points do not, as it doesn't matter to Källa or its sound quality.
John
Very active member
Very active member

Post by John »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-10-23 00:58 Sorry, misunderstanding. Late Friday night after having completed Källa 012!

Källa has fixed IP address during all comparisons of control points. The control points do not, as it doesn't matter to Källa or its sound quality.
Thanks for the clarification.