Recommended control points

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Recommended control points

Post by u252agz »

I finally managed to get my hands on an I pad mini 6 on Xmas day.

Initial impressions were poor - really poor.

After a period of reflection ( longer than usual due to the soporific effects of an overly indulgent Xmas dinner), I went back to the offending I pad and changed the default Spotify settings to the recommended ones!

Big difference - the music was back and definitely more musical than the previous I pad mini ( a few years old )

Not a huge improvement from the previous I pad but clearly better and definitely worthwhile.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thank you u252agz! I read your post in the smug knowledge that I had carefully optimised the settings on my new ipad mini. So smug was I feeling that I checked mine - and found that streaming quality was only high, not very high! Oops! Now fixed...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Interesting that even the "high" setting on Spotify is then superior to Qobuz.......
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
jajo

Post by jajo »

matthias wrote: 2021-12-27 14:25 Interesting that even the "high" setting on Spotify is then superior to Qobuz.......
It is because bitrate is not high on the list things of things that matter most when it comes to streaming performance.

Many "old truths" when it comes to digital music reproduction will prove to be wrong with Källa.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

jajo wrote: 2021-12-27 16:39
It is because bitrate is not high on the list things of things that matter most when it comes to streaming performance.

Many "old truths" when it comes to digital music reproduction will prove to be wrong with Källa.
For playback bitrate is overrated aside from very low bitrates (around eight) for digital which raises the noise floor. On the analogue side the bitrate for cassettes was from five to nine, for studio tape the best achievable is around thirteen.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Quick iPad Mini 6 question: is there any way to have sound output default to Airplay-Lejonklou*? It keeps reverting to iPad...

* other than keep playing music ;)
jajo

Post by jajo »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-27 18:39 Quick iPad Mini 6 question: is there any way to have sound output default to Airplay-Lejonklou*? It keeps reverting to iPad...

The only two scenarios where it would disconnect is if it drops wifi connection or if you try playing from Mini when Källa is busy playing from another control point. Otherwise it should remain connected.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

jajo wrote: 2021-12-27 19:01
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-27 18:39 Quick iPad Mini 6 question: is there any way to have sound output default to Airplay-Lejonklou*? It keeps reverting to iPad...

The only two scenarios where it would disconnect is if it drops wifi connection or if you try playing from Mini when Källa is busy playing from another control point. Otherwise it should remain connected.
Thanks. Maybe it's the case then, putting the iPad into standby, so pausing/dropping the WiFi...
jajo

Post by jajo »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-27 20:11
jajo wrote: 2021-12-27 19:01

Thanks. Maybe it's the case then, putting the iPad into standby, so pausing/dropping the WiFi...
Turning off the display does not disconnect wifi or connection to Källa. Not sure what you mean with "standby".
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

jajo wrote: 2021-12-27 20:35
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-27 20:11
jajo wrote: 2021-12-27 19:01 The only two scenarios where it would disconnect is if it drops wifi connection or if you try playing from Mini when Källa is busy playing from another control point. Otherwise it should remain connected.
... Maybe it's the case then, putting the iPad into standby, so pausing/dropping the WiFi...
Turning off the display does not disconnect wifi or connection to Källa. Not sure what you mean with "standby".
Closing the front of the case puts the iPad to 'sleep'... If you're using another control point for Spotify, 'Listening on iPad mini' doesn't appear as an option unless you open the case to wake the iPad again. Also, with foobar2000 in particular (I think (will have to confirm)), it seems when I wake the iPad a time after playing an album, the output often reverts to iPad rather than Lejonklou (under Speakers & TVs)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

jajo wrote: 2021-11-07 00:48 15.1 is great. No issues whatsoever.
Anyone / everyone using iPadOS 15.2 now?
jajo

Post by jajo »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-12-28 00:38
jajo wrote: 2021-11-07 00:48 15.1 is great. No issues whatsoever.
Anyone / everyone using iPadOS 15.2 now?
I always upgrade and so far I haven't noticed any reduced performance.

Sometimes I notice I temporary drop in performance the first 24 hours after upgrade. Sometimes there is no difference. But in the end it seems that the OS of the Control Point has very small influence on the end result.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jajo wrote: 2021-12-28 01:46 I always upgrade and so far I haven't noticed any reduced performance.
Do you always upgrade to the latest Spotify version as well?
Thanks
Matt

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I have had this problem as well.

It seems that when I turn off the mini iPad by pressing the on/ off button- it reverts to a default of sound output to iPad speakers.

But I am now letting the iPad go to sleep by itself - and it seems to stay with ‘ lejonklou’ as the output.

Has worked this morning at least!

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Another question.

How do you use the I pad mini as the controller from other apple devices.

I can’t see it in the AirPlay/Bluetooth section?

Not a problem as such - just curious

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

u252agz wrote: 2021-12-28 13:49 Another question.
I can’t see it in the AirPlay/Bluetooth section?
Not a problem as such - just curious
You control the iPad mini via Spotify Connect from the other apple device.
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

For Spotify, run the Spotify app on the iPad mini.

Then run Spotify on another device (Android, iPhone, desktop etc). Tap on the loudspeaker icon in the Spotify app and you should see the iPad mini as an available speaker.

Due to (arguably) a design flaw in the Spotify connect protocol, once you have connected via Spotify Connect, you can play to that device even if you are not on the same network. I've managed to play music at home while working in the office.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-12-28 14:46

Then run Spotify on another device (Android, iPhone, desktop etc). Tap on the loudspeaker icon in the Spotify app and you should see the iPad mini as an available speaker.

Due to (arguably) a design flaw in the Spotify connect protocol, once you have connected via Spotify Connect, you can play to that device even if you are not on the same network. I've managed to play music at home while working in the office.
Yes, I can control the home system (currently playing Christmas music for the puppy) from the store.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to use Spotify on my iPhone in the store without it stopping play at the house.
Last edited by ThomasOK on 2021-12-29 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Sorry if this question is already asked, but would you say the iPad mini is worth buying for the sound improvement alone?

I’m currently playing from an iPad pro 2021.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-12-28 14:46

I keep trying but with Airplay/Bluetooth I only ever see Lejonklou and all my sky boxes.

Do I need to do something to get my network to ‘see’ the iPad mini 6.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

u252agz wrote: 2021-12-28 23:51 I keep trying but with Airplay/Bluetooth I only ever see Lejonklou and all my sky boxes.

Do I need to do something to get my network to ‘see’ the iPad mini 6.
On the iPad Mini 6 you run Spotify, and choose Airplay to Lejonklou...
On another device running Spotify, you can then select iPad Mini for the Spotify output to control what Spotify plays to/through the iPad Mini 6 to Lejonklou.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fredrik,
is there any chance that newer MacBooks (Air, Pro) with M chips can be tested for the Recommended Control Points list?
Thanks
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2022-01-09 16:44 Fredrik,
is there any chance that newer MacBooks (Air, Pro) with M chips can be tested for the Recommended Control Points list?
Thanks
Yes! We've tested the latest top model of MacBook (crazy fast and crazy expensive) and it sounds fantastic.

It definitely belongs in the top range of control points, but we have yet to compare it with the iPad mini 6.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-13 22:51 Yes! We've tested the latest top model of MacBook (crazy fast and crazy expensive) and it sounds fantastic.

It definitely belongs in the top range of control points, but we have yet to compare it with the iPad mini 6.
My credit card would like to tell you that nothing, nothing, can beat an ipad mini 6...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

David Neel wrote: 2022-01-13 23:11
lejonklou wrote: 2022-01-13 22:51 Yes! We've tested the latest top model of MacBook (crazy fast and crazy expensive) and it sounds fantastic.

My credit card would like to tell you that nothing, nothing, can beat an ipad mini 6...
Mine too!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.