A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Källa power path

Post by lejonklou »

Power path.gif
This schematic shows how Källa is powered, from the mains input to the analogue outputs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Källa power path

Post by lejonklou »

Almost everything inside Källa is different from what I've done before. I tried doing it with familiar circuits and favourite components, but the results were never good enough. I had to learn new ways.

For instance I thought that a separate regulator and perhaps also a separate power supply to feed the DAC and/or analogue output stage would sound better. But it was always more musical to let the computer be the "boss" and drive everything, including the analogue parts. This resulted in much better timing and coherence. To make this arrangement sound really good, every filter and regulator has needed careful trimming.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The computer in Källa is a Tinkerboard S, mounted on top of the main board, which houses filters, regulators, control circuitry, DAC and analogue output stage.

Every Tinkerboard is individually tuned in its core parameters. Only those that can be tuned to the optimal values are used. Some Tinkerboards fall outside of the optimal values and although they are fully functioning, they don't sound as good when performing the time-critical Källa tasks. Therefore only the Tinkerboards that meet our standards are used.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The main printed circuit board of Källa is made in Germany and of the same specification as in SINGularity, with some parameters changed to optimise the conditions for the digital circuitry.

These boards are expensive, but as soon as I listened to the first prototype made with it, I knew we just had to use it.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Looks expensive 😬
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Azazello wrote: 2021-06-09 15:33 Looks expensive 😬
In the main thread Fredrik stated that it would come in a Boazu size case (actually a lot like a Tundra case with no LEDs) and would sell for about the price of two Boazu 1.3. The pricing has not yet been finalized as Fredrik always prices based on the actual cost of manufacture and that isn't precisely known until a couple of production units are built. Hopefully that will happen sometime this summer.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
yahia.said@gmail.com

Post by yahia.said@gmail.com »

Hi Fredrick, Just wanted to check if Kalla supports dual voltage for use on both sides of the pond. Cheers
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hello yahia.said!

Yes, it does!