Source Files: What's on your wishlist for Kalla?

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Source Files: What's on your wishlist for Kalla?

Post by David Neel »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-07 14:37
David Neel wrote: 2021-09-07 14:27
lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-07 11:22 Although the primary focus of Källa is streaming services, it can also play FLAC from a NAS using an app like VLC.
Fredrik, can you expand on this please? I'm using an LSNAS running on Debian and AssetUPnP. Music files are mainly ALAC. Where should VLC be installed?
You install VLC, mconnect Player or another app that can play FLAC on your iOS or MacOS device.

Then you open the app and let it access your NAS. It has worked flawlessly for us so far.

But the primary focus is still streaming services. They sound better than ever before when played with Källa. In particular Spotify outperforms NAS replay, regardless of which NAS and file resolution is used.
Thank you!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-07 14:37 But the primary focus is still streaming services. They sound better than ever before when played with Källa. In particular Spotify outperforms NAS replay, regardless of which NAS and file resolution is used.
This is extremely nice :)

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

On my Hakai Radio Paradise is my most enjoyable source, with Spotify Connect second, and Built-in Spotify third.

For each of these the software running on the PC and sending audio to the DAC is actually different (mpd, vollibrespot and spop respectively), so it may not be the stream source alone that is responsible for the differences.

Has Radio Paradise been tested on Källa?

RP accounts for 90% of my listening, and drives almost all of my new music discovery.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-09-08 16:55
Has Radio Paradise been tested on Källa?

RP accounts for 90% of my listening, and drives almost all of my new music discovery.
I was wondering something similar, but for Internet radio generally, rather than RP specifically. I have used TuneIn (formerly RadioTime) on the Linn DS, and through the OpenHome capabilities in upmpdcli, and upplay & BubbleDS control points. Presumably the easiest way would be to install the TuneIn app on an iPhone and direct the output to airplay, but curious if there's a preferred, musically optimal way to listen to Internet radio with Källa?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-09-08 16:55 Has Radio Paradise been tested on Källa?
I downloaded the Radio Paradise app on my phone and am now listening to it on Källa. Sounds great and really good music as well. Thanks for the tip!

Choosing ALAC in settings in the Radio Paradise app gives the highest quality.

I also surfed to the Radio Paradise website and listened from there. It sounds good as well, but the settings on the website are not the same as in the app. I found the app to sound better.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-09 14:12 I found the app to sound better.
They have a MacOS desktop app as well.

Matt
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-09 04:51 curious if there's a preferred, musically optimal way to listen to Internet radio with Källa?
The optimal way is to download the app and use it.

One of the secrets behind the exceptional musical quality of Källa is that it does only one thing: It plays everything your phone/iPad plays. Nothing else. Everything is optimized for this single task.

We have lots of experience with other routes of replay, like accessing network storages, playing local files, plugins for accessing specific services, etc. What we have found is that with every such addition to the firmware, the music becomes less engaging.

By focusing on only one task and removing everything else, a whole new level of musical performance becomes possible.
TMV

Post by TMV »

So an app playing local files (from a NAS) will sound really good too?
Before Spotify was better than local files, still true? Or does it depend on source file?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

TMV wrote: 2021-09-09 18:01 So an app playing local files will sound really good too?
Yes
TMV wrote: 2021-09-09 18:01 Before Spotify was better than local files, still true?
Yes, still true.

It's a very interesting comparison. When playing FLACs from a NAS, it doesn't matter which app you use to retrieve them, they all sound the same. Good! And Quoboz sounds good too. And then when you hear the same music on Spotify, it sounds a little different; slightly darker and the lossy compression can sometimes be heard. But there's a fundamental quality in the way the music flows. It's very accessible and gripping.

NAS and other streaming services are fine, but none of them have that level of engagement. At least not at the moment. Apple Music seems to have gotten better lately, so things are evolving.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-09 20:13 But there's a fundamental quality in the way the music flows. It's very accessible and gripping.
Yes, I really hope they get Spotify Hifi right.

Matt
Matt

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-09 14:12 I downloaded the Radio Paradise app on my phone and am now listening to it on Källa. Sounds great and really good music as well. Thanks for the tip!
That's great to hear.

Damn. I'm beginning to think I might actually have to buy this thing.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks