Four years in the making

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Four years in the making

Post by ThomasOK »

Arjen wrote: 2021-09-11 16:30 Hi, as an analogue, with stand alone gear and devices in a stand alone setup, I’m totally not into digital technology. Now I ‘m reading in a newspaper about Tesla, about Sonos, Apple, Fitbit, John Deere etc. who are remotedly manipulating devices (stopping services, deleting films and books, limiting functions. So question is how will this affect the use of a Kalla in the future when you are dependent on providers and devices and their control and updates protocol?
I don't know what you have read but this is totally a mixed bag. Tesla, for instance, is regularly sending out updates and has substantially improved the functionality of my Model 3 since I bought it. They do tend to let you try some of the advanced features and then remove them if you don't decide to buy them but I didn't pay for them in the first place so I don't see that as taking something away. In the music streaming business it is a different story. For the most part the services are all adding more music as much as possible to keep competitive and the music is mostly available on multiple streaming services. However, the music industry being a few monster companies and a bunch of independents, this does change all the time. An artist may choose to put their music on only one service, they may choose to only put some of their music up and they may choose to remove it at some point. It is frustrating here in the store when one of the playlists gets messed up because some album or other is no longer available on Quboz, Tidal, etc. It is just part of life in the streaming world and certainly won't hurt using a Källa more than anything else. But there is indeed not the surety of pulling a record down from the shelf and popping it on the turntable. Unless, of course, the dog ate your homework.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Arjen wrote: 2021-09-11 16:30 Hi, as an analogue, with stand alone gear and devices in a stand alone setup, I’m totally not into digital technology. Now I ‘m reading in a newspaper about Tesla, about Sonos, Apple, Fitbit, John Deere etc. who are remotedly manipulating devices (stopping services, deleting films and books, limiting functions. So question is how will this affect the use of a Kalla in the future when you are dependent on providers and devices and their control and updates protocol?
John Deere? That’s scary! That’s the last time I cut the grass with my JD with an open internet connection!
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Thank you folks. j was just asking after a newspaper article about how new technology policy with smart devices take smartly over private systems, like cars, TV, hifi setups, domotica and make you dependent on that, whilst in the old analogue days the private person kept control, so never crossed the risk of some remote one take away Satisfaction from their Out of out Heads LP. But if The Kalla is able to overcome this and we keep our autonomy and control, it would be fine.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2021-09-11 20:16 John Deere? That’s scary! That’s the last time I cut the grass with my JD with an open internet connection!
Oh Deere: the 'intractorble' problems of technology... Unless you get a push mower for analogue stripes: the lawn equivalent of a wind up gramophone :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-11 21:12
Spannko wrote: 2021-09-11 20:16 John Deere? That’s scary! That’s the last time I cut the grass with my JD with an open internet connection!
Oh Deere: the 'intractorble' problems of technology... Unless you get a push mower for analogue stripes: the lawn equivalent of a wind up gramophone :)
Push mowers are making a comeback as they are the ultimate green device (along with a bicycle) while at the same time removing green from your lawn!? As for me, I have a lawnmower, as well as a snowblower, powered by a 100V battery (would you expect otherwise). Seeing as neither is Internet connected I only have to worry about the massive EMP. But that would wipe out everything anyway. The real problem is when Skynet takes over!!!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ok, now I understand a little more. The question was perhaps mainly about hacking.

Källa is very difficult to hack if you connect it properly, which is to your router (not to the modem that provides you with internet). The router has a firewall that keeps the local network from being accessible from outside. Källa is only accessible on the local network. It doesn't connect to any Lejonklou server, which would make it accessible from the internet (like for instance my air cleaner in the bedroom does). Källa stays on the local network and is therefore much safer than a lot of modern gear (vacuum cleaners, fridges, lawn mowers, etc) that are on the internet.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Arjen wrote: 2021-09-11 20:34 whilst in the old analogue days the private person kept control, so never crossed the risk of some remote one take away Satisfaction from their Out of out Heads LP.
We don't really care so much about media: it's the music we want.

If we have a CD or a record, physical media, or a downloaded file, then no one can remotely remove that music from our collection.

This is not true for streaming services. This is outside the control of Kalla or any streamer.

Just as music can appear in streaming services, it can also disappear.

I tend to buy vinyl albums of music I discover through streaming and which I particularly cherish.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Yep, q was about hacking, but also about the control of the software by the designer and about choices of streaming services. When I’ m reading about smart watches made disable after introducing a new one or taken over by another company I started to worry.
About discovering new music, I listen to radio like BBC 6 or buy Mojo or Uncut with a sampler CD and buy vinyl after it which I favor.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I dont see that happening with Lejonklou products at all ...
but you have a point especially with respect to the IPhone. It happened to me that certain apps are not working anymore depending on your IPhone model/sw version and apps supporting it. Certain apps simply stop working when you are not updating or can not update them because your IPhone is too old.
cortina

Post by cortina »

Hopefully the German EU proposal will be a reality; that cell phone suppliers will be forced to provide software updates and spare parts for at least 7 years.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Jajo

Are you allowed to reveal your thoughts about Kalla in your system - we have heard the clips but no feedback about your impressions in the flesh.

If you are sworn to silence until the official launch - I will understand.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

The great thing about videos is that we can come to our own conclusions. What I’ve heard so far suggests that the Kalla is very musical, but I must admit, I’d like to hear some comparative videos too.
jajo

Post by jajo »

u252agz wrote: 2021-09-13 17:45 Jajo

Are you allowed to reveal your thoughts about Kalla in your system - we have heard the clips but no feedback about your impressions in the flesh.

Luckily I haven't sworn any oath - I am free to speak about my experiences with Källa. That is why I added the clips.

I guess it comes as no surprise that I had a real blast playing music with Källa. It sounds like no other digital streamer on the market. I find it quite hard to describe the experience, but the number one thing that immediately hits you is how you are drawn into the music. It is hard to have a conversation or focus on anything else than the music when Källa is playing. I had so many albums I wanted to experience with it and although I had work the day after, I think we stopped listening sometime around 4:30AM in the morning. Luckily, I only had to crawl to bed while Fredrik had to take his bike home.

Although the clips sound great and should give a general feeling of the experience Källa conveys, hearing it in real life is something different.
cortina

Post by cortina »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 01:14 It sounds like no other digital streamer on the market.
Does that include the new Linn Organik DSM under comparable conditions?
jajo

Post by jajo »

cortina wrote: 2021-09-14 04:02
jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 01:14 It sounds like no other digital streamer on the market.
No, I haven't had a chance to listen to Organik in an environment that feels comparable, however I have previously owned and lived with a KDS/1 for quite a long time so I know the Linn streamers and their character pretty well.

Because of the hefty price of KDS Organik, it is not very easy to borrow one home unfortunately.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 01:14
u252agz wrote: 2021-09-13 17:45 Jajo

Luckily I haven't sworn any oath - I am free to speak about my experiences with Källa. That is why I added the clips.

I guess it comes as no surprise that I had a real blast playing music with Källa. It sounds like no other digital streamer on the market. I find it quite hard to describe the experience, but the number one thing that immediately hits you is how you are drawn into the music. It is hard to have a conversation or focus on anything else than the music when Källa is playing. I had so many albums I wanted to experience with it and although I had work the day after, I think we stopped listening sometime around 4:30AM in the morning. Luckily, I only had to crawl to bed while Fredrik had to take his bike home.

Although the clips sound great and should give a general feeling of the experience Källa conveys, hearing it in real life is something different.
Thanks Jajo

Thats great to hear - I have been hoping, praying and waiting for a Lejonklou streamer for some time now and elected to dispense with the KDS/3 upgrade ( even though it is very, very good); and give Fredrik a little more time.

Your experience seems to mirror quite a few other Lejonklou products ( I'm thinking in particular of my Sagatun Monos and my recent Giella, when used as a preamp). As Kalla is higher up the 'source first' heirarchy, it looks like its going to take digital replay to a whole different level.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 01:14 I think we stopped listening sometime around 4:30AM in the morning.
jajo,
am I right that you and Fredrik listened to Spotify all the time?
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
jajo

Post by jajo »

u252agz wrote: 2021-09-14 11:06 Thanks Jajo

Thats great to hear - I have been hoping, praying and waiting for a Lejonklou streamer for some time now and elected to dispense with the KDS/3 upgrade ( even though it is very, very good); and give Fredrik a little more time.

Your experience seems to mirror quite a few other Lejonklou products ( I'm thinking in particular of my Sagatun Monos and my recent Giella, when used as a preamp). As Kalla is higher up the 'source first' heirarchy, it looks like its going to take digital replay to a whole different level.
I know what you mean with "mirroring other Lejonklou products". I absolutely agree that they have a special "signature" that can be recognised regardless what type of product it is. If you like the way Sagatun Monos perform, I am pretty sure you will appreciate Kölla. A bit of a cliché statement perhaps, but it really sucks you right into the music. No matter what you play, it is very engaging and easy to understand. It also sounds incredibly good - any doubt that Spotify is not "high quality enough" is quickly washed away when you hit play.
matthias wrote: 2021-09-14 11:31 jajo,
am I right that you and Fredrik listened to Spotify all the time?
Thanks

Matt
Yes, only Spotify.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 09:21
No, I haven't had a chance to listen to Organik in an environment that feels comparable, however I have previously owned and lived with a KDS/1 for quite a long time so I know the Linn streamers and their character pretty well.

Because of the hefty price of KDS Organik, it is not very easy to borrow one home unfortunately.
Hi Jajo!
Thank you for the report. I have two kds/1 my self. Would you say the Källa is a substantial upgrade from the KDS1? I have an Boazu and Jern12 speakers and an lp12 Aro, kore, lingo 4 adikt Slipsik 7.1.
Regards
jajo

Post by jajo »

Fred11 wrote: 2021-09-14 21:49

Hi Jajo!
Thank you for the report. I have two kds/1 my self. Would you say the Källa is a substantial upgrade from the KDS1? I have an Boazu and Jern12 speakers and an lp12 Aro, kore, lingo 4 adikt Slipsik 7.1.
Regards
Oh yes.
Fred11

Post by Fred11 »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-15 01:20
Fred11 wrote: 2021-09-14 21:49

Hi Jajo!
Regards
Oh yes.
Thank you. You mentioned the character of DS. Could you describe some more differences in character between the two?
F
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Collected some Källa's today from my wonderful assembly team at Mitac. Final assembly and tuning at my lab begins now. We are first going to double check some hardware parameters and then all performance related software parameters this weekend. The plan is to be ready on Monday.

On Monday I'm also getting the price from Mitac, after which the price of Källa will be set. I still think 2xBoazu is likely.

On Tuesday number 001 is shipping. I expect a couple more will ship during next week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Four years in the making to counting down the days. Awesome!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote: 2021-09-16 19:46 Collected some Källa's today from my wonderful assembly team at Mitac. Final assembly and tuning at my lab begins now. We are first going to double check some hardware parameters and then all performance related software parameters this weekend. The plan is to be ready on Monday.

On Monday I'm also getting the price from Mitac, after which the price of Källa will be set. I still think 2xBoazu is likely.

On Tuesday number 001 is shipping. I expect a couple more will ship during next week.
Yeeeeyyyyy
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

It ‘ll gonna be a exciting final weekend for you Fredrik Good luck!