Four years in the making

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Four years in the making

Post by matthias »

macrotech2 wrote: 2021-09-22 17:35 I was just wondering whether there were any Brexit issues. Thanks for everyone’s help.
If you listen to Källa please share your impressions vs your Vitus.
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

springwood64 wrote: 2021-09-22 17:38
macrotech2 wrote: 2021-09-22 17:35
matthias wrote: 2021-09-22 17:33

Yes, three resellers in UK.

Matt
I was just wondering whether there were any Brexit issues. Thanks for everyone’s help.
Apart from too little CO2 (in canisters), too much CO2 (in the atmosphere), emptying supermarket shelves (too few lorry drivers), collapsing energy suppliers....

As a child of the seventies it almost makes me nostalgic for the winter of discontent
All of the above! Although I've heard that one of the three only does the phono stages? Yes, there are Brexit issues, which is currently making life difficult for me as I try to buy some parts for an old French car. Like the exporter charges VAT (because he can't be bothered with the paperwork necessary to reclaim it), and then I'm due to pay VAT also in UK, because we no longer have the reciprocal agreement. And all that allows the courier to charge handling fees. So I'm very glad that my dealer, who has supplied all my Lejonklou boxes, is in Northern Ireland which is still part of the single market...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 09:21
cortina wrote: 2021-09-14 04:02
jajo wrote: 2021-09-14 01:14 It sounds like no other digital streamer on the market.
Does that include the new Linn Organik DSM under comparable conditions?
No, I haven't had a chance to listen to Organik in an environment that feels comparable, however I have previously owned and lived with a KDS/1 for quite a long time so I know the Linn streamers and their character pretty well.

Because of the hefty price of KDS Organik, it is not very easy to borrow one home unfortunately.
Others might have a different view, but for me, KDS/1 doesn't tell me very much about what comes from KDSM/3. There are some family characteristics, but there is a step change, not just an evolution.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
jajo

Post by jajo »

sunbeamgls wrote: 2021-09-22 22:46 Others might have a different view, but for me, KDS/1 doesn't tell me very much about what comes from KDSM/3. There are some family characteristics, but there is a step change, not just an evolution.
I've heard all KDS before Organik and they all have a very similar character so I would be surprised if the latest version was entirely different. However, I will give Organik a listen shortly, perhaps already tomorrow, since a dealer in my town has it available for demo.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-22 12:57 how about this Fredrik (maybe you do that already)
parallize the process
lets say you have 10 units now - fit the 10 units with the 10 different values or components. Let them heat up all together and test them
than work further with the best sounding value/ component and xcheck if its still sounding best in all the other 9 units
I had wondered a similar thing, only with 3 or 4 units. But then I realized that he said it was a minuscule difference so using multiple units would likely add variables that would make the evaluation harder.

Go for it Fredrik, don't let the whiners deter you from your obsessive nature! ;-)
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-22 16:29 Discussions while we wait for Fredrik... (cue intermission music :)
Always popular. But I'd go for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AZQox85JLI
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-09-22 23:53
tokenbrit wrote: 2021-09-22 16:29 Discussions while we wait for Fredrik... (cue intermission music :)
Always popular. But I'd go for this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AZQox85JLI
I did consider the intermission music from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but Blues Brothers feels appropriate: calm inside; tension outside :)
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-22 12:57 how about this Fredrik (maybe you do that already)
parallize the process
lets say you have 10 units now - fit the 10 units with the 10 different values or components. Let them heat up all together and test them
than work further with the best sounding value/ component and xcheck if its still sounding best in all the other 9 units
Thank you Defender. That is exactly what I'm doing.

I did make two attempts at rigging a quicker way of comparing, but the differences became unclear. Then I rebuilt the measuring station so that this component would be selected when warmed up. This makes their measured value deviate one to three steps from the "cold" selection, which seems to better reflect the differences I'm hearing in the finished and warm Källa's. My intern Måns has done 350 of them, so when he returns on Monday I'll tell him to do them all again on the new station. Instead of the instant value he'll wait for 2 minutes on each when it has warmed and plateau'd. Luckily he's the kind of guy who will likely take it with a smile. Then he'll have 500 more to do, of which I'll likely be able to use about a dozen.

I know this might sound ridiculous to someone not familiar with the selection process we have for components, but that's actually how we do it. Ten years ago, I used arrays of resistors to achieve a desired parameter, but then I discovered that it was better to measure and select everything, because when changing the resistances, other parameters were affected as well. So it was a suboptimal solution.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Stunning and moving how you’re walking the delicate high line Fredrik. We’re watching this with tension and a smile. Walk the delicate tuning line, don’t bungee and you will overcome.
Last edited by Arjen on 2021-09-23 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

jajo wrote: 2021-09-22 23:31 However, I will give Organik a listen shortly, perhaps already tomorrow, since a dealer in my town has it available for demo.
Looking very much forward to your impressions. Do you think that a direct comparison to Källa might be possible?

Matt
Matt

Pierre@headonist

Post by Pierre@headonist »

I've been away from this thread for quite a long time. Now I am back. The Kalla popped out. In the pic featuring the Kalla, the Giella is around. I think it's a call of destiny to me. I am thrilled to listen to the Giella Pi fed by the Kalla. Has anyone listened to this combo already?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

We all wish we'd have heard the Källa already...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Pierre@headonist wrote: 2021-09-25 08:14 Has anyone listened to this combo already?
AFAIK, Fredrik Lejonklou

Matt
Last edited by matthias on 2021-09-26 14:40, edited 4 times in total.
Matt

V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

matthias wrote: 2021-09-25 11:45
Pierre@headonist wrote: 2021-09-25 08:14 Has anyone listened to this combo already?
AFAIK, Fredrik Lejonklou

Matt
Yes, as Fredrik mention in his Lab System ...
Music First ...
Vlado
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I have nailed it. More info tonight.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

thats great news - than we look forward to the first Källa‘s to leave your lab to make customers happy
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Defender wrote: 2021-09-26 17:12 thats great news - than we look forward to the first Källa‘s to leave your lab to make customers happy
+1
Music First ...
Vlado