Recommended control points

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

markiteight

Re: Recommended control points

Post by markiteight »

Ok. Thanks Fredrik!

What about the other iPad Pro 11" on the list? Do you remember which one that is?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

markiteight wrote: 2022-11-22 04:09 Ok. Thanks Fredrik!

What about the other iPad Pro 11" on the list? Do you remember which one that is?
I went through the list and believe it was the first generation 11”. The one that replaced the 10.5” Pro that I still have (excellent battery life on that one).
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-11-23 01:46
markiteight wrote: 2022-11-22 04:09 Ok. Thanks Fredrik!

I went through the list and believe it was the first generation 11”. The one that replaced the 10.5” Pro that I still have (excellent battery life on that one).
Ok, thanks! That's the one I have, and I can confirm that through HAKAI the rankings stand. Now to see about plugging in my i9'd 16" mbp and see how that stacks up.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

List on page one updated with iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max.

It’s difficult to tell iPhone Pro 12, 13 and 14 apart, they perform virtually the same musically. And they sound simply fantastic with Källa. Until you bring out an iPhone 11 or an iPad mini 6 - those two are just one notch above everything else.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-12-10 01:29 Until you bring out an iPhone 11 or an iPad mini 6 - those two are just one notch above everything else.
Fredrik,
did you found a difference in musicality if the iPad is connected to the mains or not?
Thx
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

List on page one updated again. Careful listening revealed that iPhone 14 Pro Max is better than previously estimated and therefore it’s been moved up.
matthias wrote: 2022-12-10 11:20 did you found a difference in musicality if the iPad is connected to the mains or not?
It sounds a little better when not charging. But it’s a negligible difference.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

List on page 1 updated with iPad Pro 12.9" M2 cellular.

I have also made a post about optimal settings on the Spotify app. These really make a big difference to how Spotify performs.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6130
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

List on page 1 updated again, this time with iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB, which placed itself at the top!

We have previously tested 14 Pro and Pro Max with less storage and they did not perform this well musically. We suspect, however, that the difference in musical performance is not primarily due to the size of the storage. There are other details in the motherboard that differ from the models with less storage.

Anyway, we went back and forth between iPad mini 6 64GB and iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB and just couldn't reach a conclusion regarding which is more musical. Tied match!

UPDATE June 2023: OK, it's settled. iPhone 14 Pro Max 512GB is the best sounding control point so far. iPad mini 6 64GB is second best.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

This latest finding is quite interesting, Fredrik. The reason I find it that way is that Alex Hlaberstadt, who reviews the Källa in the March Stereophile, told me he had a similar experience. I believe he was using a MacBook Pro M2 (I know an M2 unit for sure) as the control unit. At one point he switched to his work unit, a second MacBook Pro M2 that was the same unit but had double the storage, and found it to be more musical. He was rather surprised to find that this made a difference but he went back and forth and found the unit with more storage clearly better. This also confirmed for him that the control device does indeed change the musicality which has made him wonder if he should go out and get an iPad Mini6 to see what all the fuss up here is about. He has an iPhone but mentioned his was near the bottom of the list.

Of course, this also begs the question: Does the iPad Mini 6 256GB sound even more musical than the 64GB in the list? Sometimes it could make you wish you took the blue pill!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

As I mentioned, we think the difference is mainly due to other differences between the motherboards than the actual storage size.

Although the only way to know for sure is to listen, one can make educated guesses from the data revealed by those who study and list all the technical details of the boards. I’ll see if I can find anything on the iPad mini 6 versions.

EDIT: Not enough detailed info available about the logic board of iPad mini 6, so we're left to testing when the opportunity arises.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Are iPhones 11 Pro or Pro Max, in higher 256 or 512 storage capacities, under consideration for testing? Could be interesting, if opportunity arises, since the 11 remains high in the rankings...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-01-11 20:30 As I mentioned, we think the difference is mainly due to other differences between the motherboards than the actual storage size.

Although the only way to know for sure is to listen, one can make educated guesses from the data revealed by those who study and list all the technical details of the boards. I’ll see if I can find anything on the iPad mini 6 versions.

EDIT: Not enough detailed info available about the logic board of iPad mini 6, so we're left to testing when the opportunity arises.
Yes, I did notice that about the iPhones. The reason I mentioned Alex experience with the MacPro M2 is that they appear to be the same model, just with different storage. At least the Apple page shows the only differences you can make when ordering are storage and memory, all the other characteristics are the same.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

After the interesting news about the list of devices I looked up the iPhone 14Max 512GB. Seeing as my existing iPhone, now apparently 6 generations old, seems to work fine for what I use it for I think I'll skip the $1399!!! for an iPhone and be happy with my iPad Mini 6 for control of the Källa.
The LP12 Whisperer
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Anyone with experience of 16.3 for iPad Mini 6 - is it musically safe to update?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

tokenbrit wrote: 2023-01-30 16:21 Anyone with experience of 16.3 for iPad Mini 6 - is it musically safe to update?
I would say Yes.

Sometimes when upgrading the operating system I get a feeling that it's a little worse right after the upgrade. But the next day I feel it sounds like before. With 16.3 it was like that.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2023-02-06 21:41
tokenbrit wrote: 2023-01-30 16:21 Anyone with experience of 16.3 for iPad Mini 6 - is it musically safe to update?
I would say Yes.

Sometimes when upgrading the operating system I get a feeling that it's a little worse right after the upgrade. But the next day I feel it sounds like before. With 16.3 it was like that.
Thank you Fredrik.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Updated and today the iOS16.3.1 on my IPad mini 6. I spontaneously had the impression that it sounds a little better after the update but can be wrong. Anyway, it does not sound worse.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213635
Trust your ears
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

So… now my KÄLLA is here and my Sagatuns will be returned coming week after upgrade to 1.4

I’m debating with my partner which route to take:
We both have an iPhone 11, which is in the top of the charts of recommended control points
But using a phone is annoying when i or she leaves our home.

So I decided to buy an iPad, which will never leave the house, as dedicated control point.
I know the iPad mini 6 is in the top of the chart…
But it happens to be that I really need to replace my (old) iPad air2, which is working slower and slower due to only having 16gb HD.

I don’t like to replace it with an mini, to small for my taste (I’m using the iPad a lot during the day)
So I’m thinking of buying a full size one, which can replace my old iPad and at the same time function as dedicated control point.
But I’m missing some entries in the chart, so it’ll be a gamble to get a good control point.
I’m thinking of buying the newest iPad Air, because it has the M1 chip.
My partner owns a iPad Pro, I gave it as birthday present, and man… that works so smooth compared to my old iPad Air2.

So in short… I hope the current model of iPad Air with M1 chip will be as good as my 11 as control point.

Any other insights or options that I may miss?
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

mmh I think your issue is not really an issue. You already have an Iphone 11 which you can use, your partner has an Iphone 11 which she can use - if thats an issue if one of you is leaving the house (which shouldnt as both of you have an 11) the other can live with the Ipad for that moment if you or she has to and dont want to use the phone. And to my knowledge your or her phone can still be the control point but you/she can operate the choice of music from the Ipad - and the phone still stays the factor which drives musicality (however that phone need to be in reach of the Källa for that).

But maybe there is something I dont understand with your issue.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Defender wrote: 2023-03-25 21:37 mmh I think your issue is not really an issue. You already have an Iphone 11 which you can use, your partner has an Iphone 11 which she can use - if thats an issue if one of you is leaving the house (which shouldnt as both of you have an 11) the other can live with the Ipad for that moment if you or she has to and dont want to use the phone. And to my knowledge your or her phone can still be the control point but you/she can operate the choice of music from the Ipad - and the phone still stays the factor which drives musicality (however that phone need to be in reach of the Källa for that).

But maybe there is something I dont understand with your issue.
I don’t think a phone is handy to use
It’s both our private but also our work-phone from our company (we work in the same company)
So I want to use a tablet
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

As Defender said, it shouldn’t be a problem. If you firstly connect to källa with your iPhone 11, and then, open Spotify on your iPad, your iPhone 11 will still be listed as the control point (within Spotify on your iPad). The playlist (on your iPad) will be sent to källa via the iPhone 11. So, essentially, you are controlling källa with your iPhone 11. I could be wrong, but that’s my understanding of how everything works.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Get the iPad you want for an iPad. If you need to use the iPhone 11 for work it’s unlikely you’ll be listening critically to your Källa so use the iPad… when you’re not working, presumably the iPhones are available then to establish the AirPlay session to Källa for optimal musicality, then use your new iPad to drive Spotify. Seems like you know which iPad you want so get it for what it is - if it happens to sound good enough then even better, but you have the iPhones in case you want/need more music when you’re not working.
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2023-03-26 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, just get the iPad that you want. It will likely sound great. And then if you feel like comparing, you can tell us whether it’s better than your iPhone 11 or not.

It will still sound better than every other streamer out there.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Alrighty, thanks for the input

I’ll go for the iPad to use
lejonklou wrote: 2023-03-26 03:13
It will still sound better than every other streamer out there.
I almost forgot this, so true Fredrik
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

not related to the topic before but I just thought if it is possible to use an Apple TV as control point for Källa and Spotify- it seems to have Airplay and can send and receive. I know it would be less convenient because you need to switch on the TV for having a display but than you can use a phone to change the playlist.
Would be an cheap controll point to start with if that works.