Recommended network components

A source of endless thrills

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recommended network components

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-13 16:44IMO it is so far not completely clear what the most musical configuration of the Amplifi HD is when used together with an existing ISP modem/router.
There will never been any final answer to which network configuration is the best. This is because the local network is also used for many other things than our HiFi and there are endless variations on what network components are used and how they are connected.

So what we can do is test things and report our findings. In this way, our pool of knowledge grows and we can make educated guesses on how someone’s local network can be improved, when they post a sketch (like u252agz did two days ago). They will in turn report whether the suggestions resulted in an improvement.

I feel deeply thankful to all that contribute in this search for more musical enjoyment.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Fully agree Fredrik,
but the exact router settings are also important.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Configured as a router it will receive the traffic relating to the router services, such as DHCP.

In bridge mode just the streamer traffic will be routed via the Amplifi.
Pete
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-13 17:24 Fully agree Fredrik,
but the exact router settings are also important.
Great! I’m looking forward to your reports on which exact router settings sound best.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-13 15:24 thank you for directing me to the article - I was reading through it but I can only find options for the FritzBox to be setup after an ISP modem but not to be used only as a modem. That means the other option would be to set the Amplifi in Bridge mode but than I would lose UPNP functionality which I need for my NAS and the streamer (not Källa so far).
I have to say I am not a network crack so I might have overseen an option or understand something wrong.
I did some Google search and indeed it doesn't seem to be easy to place the Fritzboxes in Bridge mode, this is similar to the ISP unit I use.
BTW, do you connect the output of your Fritzbox to the LAN or the WAN port of the Amplifi HD?
Last edited by matthias on 2022-03-13 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-03-13 20:51 Great! I’m looking forward to your reports on which exact router settings sound best.
Certainly, It would be also nice to know which router settings others use.
May I assume that you use your Amplifi HD not in Bridge mode?
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Fritzbox is connected from the WAN Port to the WAN Port of the Amplifi.
The WAN Port of the Fritzbox can also be used as an ethernet port.
Amplifi is not in bridge mode only UPNP on
The second Amplifi is connected to the first with 2GHz
Also I configured the 5GHz part manually to the lowest channel (36 - wider range) and 20MHz.
If I could I would turn 5GHz completely off but thats not possible.

I tried to make everything nice and gave every device the right name and a symbol out of the list but felt it sounded worst - that was at the same time I changed the ethernet cables so I am not sure if it had an influence.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Thanks Defender,
do you think that 2,4GHz is musically superior to 5Ghz?
Matt

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

matthias wrote: 2022-03-13 20:58 May I assume that you use your Amplifi HD not in Bridge mode?
If you intend to report any findings, it will require you to test things yourself. Not just ask others questions.

I haven't fiddled much with my two Amplifi's and the little I've done was a waste of time. Here's what I did:

1. I connected the first Amplifi to power and the WAN port to the modem on the wall (the modem has a fiber in the other end and from that we get access to the internet).
2. I installed the Amplifi app on my phone and switched on the Amplifi.
3. I did what the app asked me to do, such as give the network a name. It worked right away.
4. I put the second Amplifi in the living room by the HiFi, plugged its power adapter after the GS-108T switch in the strip and connected one of its LAN ports to port 7 on the switch with an ethernet cable.
5. I switched it on and told my app that the new Amplifi belonged to my network.
6. I played lots and lots of music on my Källa and found every piece impossible to interrupt because it was so good.

The first Amplifi works as a router (so not in Bridge mode) and the second as a mesh extension of the first.

I find that all three ethernet cables makes a difference to the music, but the one from modem to the first Amplifi matters least. The two cables from second Amplifi to switch and from switch to Källa matters a lot. I haven't heard anything better than Blue Jeans Cat 6a, 8.5 feet long.

I also find that the orientation of the Amplifi's mains power adapter in the power strip matters. One way is nice and easy flowing, when turning it 180 degrees the music gets a little confused in comparison.

I tried creating subnets on the second Amplifi, they didn't sound any better. I thought the 2.4 GHz subnet was perhaps slightly worse than the 5 GHz one. In fact, I haven't found any settings that have improved the music from the standard settings. The way the Amplifi's set up themselves, explained in steps 1-5 above, has been optimal so far.

I see on Ubiquity's website that both versions now seem to be in stock.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Defender wrote: 2022-03-12 11:05 .. I had marked my Blue Jeans Cables according to their measured performance (you get a protocol with measurements when you buy Blue Jeans Cables). During the change I have switched the one Blue Jeans Cable which feeds the GS108 for the other with the better measured performance...
Can I ask: which measurement(s) from Blue Jeans are you going by? I have 4 with slightly different headroom (dB) and Resistance (ohms) - they all have the same Prop. Delay & Delay Skew (ns)

Are you selecting the higher headroom / lower resistance cable as "better measured performance", or is 'better' based on another measurement?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Ignore the measurements!

You need to listen to the cables if you want to rank them in musicality. There is no other way.

The best sounding direction on mine have so far been "with text". That is: The text on the cable is running towards Källa.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-03-14 01:56 Ignore the measurements!

You need to listen to the cables if you want to rank them in musicality. There is no other way.

The best sounding direction on mine have so far been "with text". That is: The text on the cable is running towards Källa.
I figured as much. Was just curious what measurement Defender went by... Maybe better not to know ta avoid expectation bias when listening between my own 4.
Currently using 1 from modem to home router; need to use 1 to the AExtreme, then the 2 between 108T and AExpress & Kalla. Presumably 108T to Kalla is most important, followed by AExpress to 108T, working back through the system from there. I have spare MicroConnects that I can use as needed to allow me to test all 4 BJCs between 108T & Kalla. Is that how you'd do it?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

lejonklou wrote: 2022-03-14 00:05 If you intend to report any findings, it will require you to test things yourself. Not just ask others questions.

I haven't fiddled much with my two Amplifi's and the little I've done was a waste of time. Here's what I did:

1. I connected the first Amplifi to power and the WAN port to the modem on the wall (the modem has a fiber in the other end and from that we get access to the internet).
2. I installed the Amplifi app on my phone and switched on the Amplifi.
3. I did what the app asked me to do, such as give the network a name. It worked right away.
4. I put the second Amplifi in the living room by the HiFi, plugged its power adapter after the GS-108T switch in the strip and connected one of its LAN ports to port 7 on the switch with an ethernet cable.
5. I switched it on and told my app that the new Amplifi belonged to my network.
6. I played lots and lots of music on my Källa and found every piece impossible to interrupt because it was so good.

The first Amplifi works as a router (so not in Bridge mode) and the second as a mesh extension of the first.

I find that all three ethernet cables makes a difference to the music, but the one from modem to the first Amplifi matters least. The two cables from second Amplifi to switch and from switch to Källa matters a lot. I haven't heard anything better than Blue Jeans Cat 6a, 8.5 feet long.

I also find that the orientation of the Amplifi's mains power adapter in the power strip matters. One way is nice and easy flowing, when turning it 180 degrees the music gets a little confused in comparison.

I tried creating subnets on the second Amplifi, they didn't sound any better. I thought the 2.4 GHz subnet was perhaps slightly worse than the 5 GHz one. In fact, I haven't found any settings that have improved the music from the standard settings. The way the Amplifi's set up themselves, explained in steps 1-5 above, has been optimal so far.

I see on Ubiquity's website that both versions now seem to be in stock.
Thank you Fredrik,
this is very valuable info.
My point is just to know which configuration and settings do work in a (two router) set-up with the Amplifi HD.
Matt

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I chose the 2GHz for longer range and no need for the speed.
With respect to the power supply I have both power supplies feeding the left pin for live wire (that means if the power cable comes out at the bottom directed to the floor the left pin gets the live wire)

power pins
.^..^.
[……]
||
||
output cable (should be in the middle of the scribble)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've been following the Amplifi HD discovery with interest, and would welcome some input.

Currently I have a HUAWEI-E5180-C04C 4G router, as I do not have any cable broadband. This is a very simple device which connects to the internet via a 4G sim-card. It has a single ethernet port which is connected via BJC cable to a GS108T, which in turn connects via BJC to Källa, with power as per Fredrik's recommendations. Källa is the only cable-connected device, all others are wireless.

HUAWEI-E5180-C04C >> BJC >> GS108T >> BJC >> Källa

Is there potential benefit in placing one, or two, Amplifi HD units in between my 4G router and the GS108T? Or any other configuration?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I'm about to test introducing 2x Amplifi between my GS108T and my router/modem, currently connected by BJC 2.5m cable.

I'll post playground recordings. The source is Hakai.
Pete
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

David Neel wrote: 2022-03-15 16:45 I've been following the Amplifi HD discovery with interest, and would welcome some input.

Currently I have a HUAWEI-E5180-C04C 4G router, as I do not have any cable broadband. This is a very simple device which connects to the internet via a 4G sim-card. It has a single ethernet port which is connected via BJC cable to a GS108T, which in turn connects via BJC to Källa, with power as per Fredrik's recommendations. Källa is the only cable-connected device, all others are wireless.

HUAWEI-E5180-C04C >> BJC >> GS108T >> BJC >> Källa

Is there potential benefit in placing one, or two, Amplifi HD units in between my 4G router and the GS108T? Or any other configuration?
I can send you a couple of Amplifi’s for you to try in your own system. Your impression of them would be very valuable!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Post removed due to error in network setup
Last edited by Spannko on 2022-03-17 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-15 17:30 One has a warm tone, and the other a cool tone (colour tone, not sound tone!) but which do you prefer? I’ll reveal the identities on Thursday morning.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B125VaUrzuU84V4
The warm tone is more engaging for me, more foot tapping.

Played back on my android phone speaker.
Pete
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Need to get headphones later but cool tone on iPad.
Last edited by anthony on 2022-03-15 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

I love my netgear 300 router, will be interested in results.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-15 17:17 I can send you a couple of Amplifi’s for you to try in your own system. Your impression of them would be very valuable!
Thank you!
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Spannko wrote: 2022-03-15 17:30 One has a warm tone, and the other a cool tone (colour tone, not sound tone!) but which do you prefer?
I warmed to Warm; Cool left me cold.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I experienced a contrast between a cool head and a warm heart.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

springwood64 wrote: 2022-03-15 17:04 I'm about to test introducing 2x Amplifi between my GS108T and my router/modem, currently connected by BJC 2.5m cable.

I'll post playground recordings. The source is Hakai.
Interesting! I'll see if I can do the same.