A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Volumio Spotify

Post by tokenbrit »

Foibles, Round 2

To continue with the learning experience that is Volumio, following on from the Volumio Volume thread, I'm not finding Volumio's Spotify plugin(s) particularly intuitive:

I appear to need both Spotify (Spotify plugin for Volumio2) *and* Volumio Spotify Connect2 (Plugin for Spotify connect in Volumio2) for Spotify to work in Volumio - can someone confirm?

Spotify appears to be the account login plugin - don't forget to authorise (& restart ;)
Spotify Connect2 seems to be the configuration/control for Spotify playback...

Otherwise, not sure why it needs both :?

Where it gets a little odd is in the discovery of Spotify on Volumio: after a restart, I can't connect to Volumio-Spotify via open.spotify.com in a browser; I have to use the Spotify app on the phone... Once I've connected via the app, Volumio-Spotify shows up in open.spotify.com, and I can control Volumio-Spotify as I would normally from the browser, or the app. It's just the initial connection that has to be via the app, it seems.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have I missed a setting (& another restart :) somewhere?
audiomonger999

Re: Volumio Spotify

Post by audiomonger999 »

Never tried spotify in volumio, I mainly use my NAS and sometime qobuz on volumio.
But I will try it and report it here about the plugin
TMV

Post by TMV »

I use Spotify Connect2 and it works fine. Anyone connected to my wifi can then control and play from their mobiles (or anything with Spotify) .
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

TMV wrote: 2021-03-04 07:58 I use Spotify Connect2 and it works fine. Anyone connected to my wifi can then control and play from their mobiles (or anything with Spotify) .
TMV (or anyone else here),
Have you compared the sound quality of Spotify on your HAKAI to a home computer running the standard Spotify app?

Ron The Mon
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-03-04 14:46
TMV wrote: 2021-03-04 07:58 I use Spotify Connect2 and it works fine. Anyone connected to my wifi can then control and play from their mobiles (or anything with Spotify) .
TMV (or anyone else here),
Have you compared the sound quality of Spotify on your HAKAI to a home computer running the standard Spotify app?

Ron The Mon
I can do those clips Ron.Does it have to be the Spotify app on the computer or can I use a browser.
I know that tune
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Lego wrote: 2021-04-05 21:17 Does it have to be the Spotify app on the computer or can I use a browser.
AFAIK, the app is superior to the browser.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

matthias wrote: 2021-04-06 02:43
Lego wrote: 2021-04-05 21:17 Does it have to be the Spotify app on the computer or can I use a browser.
AFAIK, the app is superior to the browser.

Matt
Curious what the setup would be to compare Hakai Spotify with Spotify app on a home computer... I assume you can use a USB output from the home computer into the Gigaport HD+ DAC, so that you're just changing the source?
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Volumio Spotify vs. Desktop Spotify

Post by Ron The Mon »

Lego wrote: 2021-04-05 21:17
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-03-04 14:46 TMV (or anyone else here),
I can do those clips Ron. Does it have to be the Spotify app on the computer or can I use a browser.
Lego,
Definitely the desktop app because it sounds much better than the browser app (I have tried Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Chrome, Explorer, and Edge.). I would generalize that the Spotify desktop app on a lesser computer sounds better than a browser app on a better sounding computer. My experience with building gaming computers, AV computers, and computer audio systems shows the greater importance of the software itself to improving the musicality; source-first.

What I'm trying to figure out is can Volumio-Spotify sound better than what Spotify themselves designed? How does Spotify Connect fit in with this? I have mentioned the Fidelify software on this Forum before. It could only be used on Microsoft OS/computers. It took Spotify "Core" and stripped it to the barebones just so it functioned. No social media, no display options, no digital volume controls, no pretty pictures, no recommendations, etc. It sounded fantastic. If I was Spotify, I would do like Fredrik Lejonklou did on his Sagatun preamps and have a switch for Super Premium Listening. Educate listeners that all the features hurt sound quality. During the times you just want to kick back and chill with really great tunes and the optimum musical connection, flip the switch.

All the software updates Spotify releases for their desktop app have a good balance of offering more useful features yet not reducing the good sound quality. In fact, I believe the sound quality of Spotify has improved in the past year.

I am curious as I haven't read any rave recommendations anywhere for Spotify on Volumio.

Ron The Mon
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Volumio Spotify Comparisons

Post by Ron The Mon »

tokenbrit wrote: 2021-04-06 17:16 Curious what the setup would be to compare Hakai Spotify with Spotify app on a home computer... I assume you can use a USB output from the home computer into the Gigaport HD+ DAC, so that you're just changing the source?
tokenbrit,
I have written on this forum of the superiority of Apple/Mac DAC/headphone outputs compared to a GIGAPORT HD+. I think dumbing down a Mac is a bad idea. Ideally, if one could take a HAKAI computer (with HD+) and install optimized Microsoft OS (with the Spotify desktop app), we would be comparing apples with apples, instead of Apples to HAKAIs. That is a lot of work for one to do, along with the cost of Microsoft software.

Ron The Mon
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Hi Ron can you explain to me the importance of the superior microsoft OS compared to my normal laptop, Windows 10? Would that bring it up to the Apple spec you like?

I too have found spotify OS app on laptop to be better than OS browser and separately spotify android app on Samsung 8. Streamer was Majik DS btw.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Oops you're referring to the Fidelity software. Apologies.
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Volumio Spotify vs. Desktop Spotify

Post by Lego »

Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-04-07 00:44
Lego wrote: 2021-04-05 21:17
Ron The Mon wrote: 2021-03-04 14:46 TMV (or anyone else here),
I can do those clips Ron. Does it have to be the Spotify app on the computer or can I use a browser.
Lego,
Definitely the desktop app because it sounds much better than the browser app (I have tried Opera, Safari, Mozilla, Chrome, Explorer, and Edge.). I would generalize that the Spotify desktop app on a lesser computer sounds better than a browser app on a better sounding computer. My experience with building gaming computers, AV computers, and computer audio systems shows the greater importance of the software itself to improving the musicality; source-first.

What I'm trying to figure out is can Volumio-Spotify sound better than what Spotify themselves designed? How does Spotify Connect fit in with this? I have mentioned the Fidelify software on this Forum before. It could only be used on Microsoft OS/computers. It took Spotify "Core" and stripped it to the barebones just so it functioned. No social media, no display options, no digital volume controls, no pretty pictures, no recommendations, etc. It sounded fantastic. If I was Spotify, I would do like Fredrik Lejonklou did on his Sagatun preamps and have a switch for Super Premium Listening. Educate listeners that all the features hurt sound quality. During the times you just want to kick back and chill with really great tunes and the optimum musical connection, flip the switch.

All the software updates Spotify releases for their desktop app have a good balance of offering more useful features yet not reducing the good sound quality. In fact, I believe the sound quality of Spotify has improved in the past year.

I am curious as I haven't read any rave recommendations anywhere for Spotify on Volumio.

Ron The Mon
In comparison to what ,it sounds very good to me, musically.Sound wise it's ok ...but that could be my Tinkerboard S setup
I know that tune
zackyums

Post by zackyums »

I am a person who has never used Volumio. Can you tell me if it makes sense to use this online application at all? As far as I understand, Volumio is a unique music platform on which you can listen to music from literally any music application or program there is. But the question is, I don't have anything else besides a Spotify subscription, so I wonder if it makes sense to use Volumio at all. If Volumio had the opportunity to combine all platforms with each other, for example, to create global charts music, then I'm sure it would be much more popular than it is now. So far, Spotify suits me very well! I hope I haven't offended anyone who likes Volumio very much!
Last edited by zackyums on 2021-12-26 03:42, edited 1 time in total.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

zackyums wrote: 2021-12-22 04:11 I am a person who has never used Volumio, can you tell me if it makes sense to use this online application at all? I only have a spotify subscription, but I listen to music literally wherever I can listen.
Volumio runs on a PC, Raspberry Pi or Tinkerboard so you use it to create a digital music player.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

I'm trying to install the Spotify plugin in Volumio 2.916 and I keep getting a "Spotify login failed. Please check username and password" error message.

The username and password are correct
I have a Spotify Premium account
I have tried deleting and reinstalling the plugin
I have tried restarting HAKAI after installing the plugin
I have searched online and found a few valid forum posts but none have been helpful in solving this issue
I even tried installing the Spotify Connect plugin to see if that would make a difference

Does anyone have an idea what I might try next? I'm at a loss (doesn't take much to get me there with this sort of thing!).
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

Murphy's Law dictates that only after posting a question to a public form will the answer reveal itself. To that end, I stumbled upon a working solution, although not the solution I was looking for, not 30 minutes after posting the above message.

Here's what I fingered out:
With the Spotify Connect app installed in Volumio (which requires no setup other than activating it and adjusting the initial volume from 33 to 100), simply open the Spotify app on the device of choice, click the device icon in the bottom, right corner, and select Volumio from the device list. Everything is now controlled through the Spotify app, no need to interact with Volumio's interface.

Here's what I'm curious about:
Is this the best solution? Or would I be better off continuing to pursue installing the Spotify app in Volumio? How does the way the music is handled differ between the two solutions?

In isolation it sounds really, really good, but I need to figure out a way to make a comparison with a more familiar setup. Easier said than done as my NAS has stopped working (the primary motivation for getting Spotify set up on HAKAI) and several other things have changed, making comparisons with earlier clips invalid.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

If I'm reading these* correctly the Spotify plugin in Volumio v2 stopped working in May due to using an old library... Seems Volumio revised the plugin but in v3; not v2.

Fair warning: I don't use Volumio so can't verify - it's just my interpretation from a quick skim of the community thread.

Hopefully there are Spotify users here on Volumio/Hakai who can advise more specifically.

* https://community.volumio.org/t/spotify ... n/55978/36
https://community.volumio.org/t/spotify ... /55978/142
markiteight

Post by markiteight »

tokenbrit wrote: 2022-10-29 02:14 If I'm reading these* correctly the Spotify plugin in Volumio v2 stopped working in May due to using an old library... Seems Volumio revised the plugin but in v3; not v2.

Fair warning: I don't use Volumio so can't verify - it's just my interpretation from a quick skim of the community thread.

Hopefully there are Spotify users here on Volumio/Hakai who can advise more specifically.

* https://community.volumio.org/t/spotify ... n/55978/36
https://community.volumio.org/t/spotify ... /55978/142
Ahhh. That there be an answer. Thanks! Looks like I need v3 to regain Spotify support in-app, but IIRC Springwood64 tried v3 and ended up reverting back to v2. Anyone else tried v3?

As log as the Spotify Connect route doesn't compromise performance compared to Volumio's Spotify plugin, I actually prefer it as Spotify's app interface is better than Volumio's.

I'm still curious what exactly is going on with Spotify Connect. It seems whatever device the app is running on is simply acting as a remote control, as I can quit the app on all devices and the music continues to play. And yet I swear that the music is better when my phone is giving the commands than when my computer is in charge. I'll post some clips in the playground to confirm I'm going nuts.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

Spotify connect plays music on volumio with a completely different piece of software (vollibrespot) to both the volumio Spotify app and the volumio music player for shared files (which I think both use mpd)

I find mpd paying Radio Paradise to be the most reliably engaging source on my Hakai. However Spotify Connect is close behind.

I found the volumio Spotify app to be cumbersome in use, and with no clear musical benefit to offset the usability.

I also tested V3 Vs V2 and preferred V2. The two sound very different. The difference is not subtle.
Last edited by springwood64 on 2022-10-29 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

markiteight wrote: 2022-10-29 04:41
I'm still curious what exactly is going on with Spotify Connect. It seems whatever device the app is running on is simply acting as a remote control, as I can quit the app on all devices and the music continues to play. And yet I swear that the music is better when my phone is giving the commands than when my computer is in charge. I'll post some clips in the playground to confirm I'm going nuts.
There are some quirks in the way Spotify Connect works.

I think your phone sends the list of music to a central Spotify website, to which your player also connects, to receive the commands.

Your phone Spotify app checks on the local network for the identity of Spotify connect players, and uses this identity to link the player and playlist.

What this means is that once your phone knows a player, you can play to it even when you are not connected locally to the player.

I can play music at home when I'm in the office.

This is a wierd feature.
Pete

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, I can control the system at home from my Spotify app on my iPhone when I am at work. It sees what the iPad Mini 6 in the house is doing and lets me change the music Lily is listening to if I want. There are some who really hate this feature. It does mean that if you let a friend use their phone to access your Spotify account in your house they could start some Megadeath playing at 2:00AM if they so desired. :-0

Actually I am not particularly happy with the way this works either but for a different reason. If I want to play something at work, whether on my iPhone itself or on a work computer or streamer, Spotify disables the system at home. It won't allow me to use it in both places at the same time. These streaming companies are getting ever more restrictive in the ways they let you use their apps at the same time many keep raising their prices. It is really ticking me off! Of course it could be worse. In video streaming it is getting really ridiculous as everybody wants to have their own streaming service with exclusive access to their content. I'm sure many are spending hundreds of dollars a month for multiple streaming services. Lucky for me I hardly watch any TV!

I don't know about on HAKAI! (mine no longer serves it's original purpose) but I think it is generally felt that the Spotify Connect app is the best sounding way to play on the Källa. It makes sense it would be the same on HAKAI!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: 2022-10-29 19:41 ...I think it is generally felt that the Spotify Connect app is the best sounding way to play on the Källa.
Certainly you mean Spotify app and not Spotify Connect app :D
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote: 2022-10-29 19:56
ThomasOK wrote: 2022-10-29 19:41 ...I think it is generally felt that the Spotify Connect app is the best sounding way to play on the Källa.
Certainly you mean Spotify app and not Spotify Connect app :D
Yes, it does appear it is just called the Spotify app.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Raylee Mason wrote: 2022-11-26 13:54 Spotify app can be used in both cases. There is no difference.
The point is that Källa is not a Spotify Connect device :-D
Matt