A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Volumio Volume

Post by tokenbrit »

Trying Volumio... (quietly)

I made the mistake of setting mixer type to none from hardware, which left me with about half volume playback... I got volume control back (eventually) but it was a 2-step process of selecting hardware mixer type again, then restarting, then selecting mixer control name PCM to finally get Volumio back to playback at 100

(I say 2-step if I ignore all the empty rabbit holes of mpd.conf; mpc; alsa, etc... none of which affect Volumio volume that I could find)

Digging into the Hakai archives, I see that Volumio volume control is a bit of a minefield - did anyone get the playback volume default set to 100 except with the Volumio mixer enabled? I'd like to try Volumio with mixer type none, but at full playback output.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Volumio Volume

Post by tokenbrit »

I may have answered my own question:

Volumio UI, Playback Options
Mixer Type: None
Mixer Control Name: None
Default Startup Volume: 100
Save, then restart Volumio to take effect (I had silence after saving, until I restarted Volumio)

Volumio volume control in the UI now does nothing; playback volume responds to vol control via alsamixer* after ssh'ing onto the Volumio/Hakai box (just be sure to select the right sound card in alsamixer ;)

* And preamp volume, of course :D

For reference, I didn't change:
Max Volume Level: 100
MPD Clients Volume Control: Off

Further ref:
Volumio System Version 2.411 (thanks to fatjulio :)
MPD version: 0.21.16
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've got the same settings as you, except that I have the Default Startup Volume disabled.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Curious 'gotcha': an Initial Volume showed up in Plugins; Spotify Connect; Settings that wasn't there before... it defaulted to 33 - I was wondering why Spotify sounded quiet despite alsamixer still being set to 100, and despite [Spotify] Internal Volume Control being set to fixed on Volumio... :/

Changing Initial Volume to 100, and saving resets Spotify, so I restarted Volumio again (just to be sure) - all is as it should be, volumise (for) now. All a bit of game - Volumio is not without its foibles, is it :?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2021-01-26 18:32 I've got the same settings as you, except that I have the Default Startup Volume disabled.
Thx. I'd change it, but then I'd probably have to re-re-restart Volumio - at this point I'll just be glad if I never have to touch the UI again ;)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I found that when I installed Volumio I turned the volume up from 50 to 100 ...is this right ..seems so easy I must be doing something wrong .
I know that tune