Gigaport HD+ vs Cheap NOS DAC from CHINA!(results sat 19th Dec)

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Gigaport HD+ vs Cheap NOS DAC from CHINA!(results sat 19th Dec)

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-12-19 22:19
Lego wrote: 2020-12-19 18:18 ... I'll do another clip with similar usb cables this time.
I meant to ask what usb cable(s) you're using... My HD+ is connected with the cable that came with it rather than the recommended Supra as I was put off by reports of quality issues with (more than?) a few of them.
I'm using supra on hd ,I went back to do more clips this time exchanging supra for the generic cable ,then I thought that sounds good so I'm doing clips for myself of supra Vs generic ..I'll pm clips to you .I wouldn't make a judgement about purchase going by what you've heard .If you don't like them it's within your rights to send them back
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Spannko wrote: 2020-12-19 23:14
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-12-19 18:52 I tried listening to C & D yesterday and was having a hard time - it was the end of a busy day. I tried again just now and they are both good but I find D moves me more.
Yes, it’s interesting that on this particular track C&D are so close, when on the first two tracks there is an appreciable difference. I don’t understand it tbh.
So many variables,I went from listening to Gigaport for the previous few days to get an idea of it again then did the clips ,so maybe NOS DAC was improving from starting off cold .Who knows .
I know that tune
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

Lego wrote: 2020-12-20 21:49
ThomasOK wrote: 2020-12-19 18:52 I tried listening to C & D yesterday and was having a hard time - it was the end of a busy day. I tried again just now and they are both good but I find D moves me more.
Yes, it’s interesting that on this particular track C&D are so close, when on the first two tracks there is an appreciable difference. I don’t understand it tbh.
So many variables,I went from listening to Gigaport for the previous few days to get an idea of it again then did the clips ,so maybe NOS DAC was improving from starting off cold .Who knows .
It's possible there's some burn-in / long term warm up on the NOS DAC.

What power supply are you using on the NOS DAC?
Is it an ultra cheapo one supplied with the DAC or is it a linear power supply? EG one of the linear power supplies you can buy off ebay for about £40.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lindsayt wrote: 2020-12-29 11:37

Is it an ultra cheapo one supplied with the DAC or is it a linear power supply? EG one of the linear power supplies you can buy off ebay for about £40.
Just a USB plug.Whats been your experience with NOS DACs and power supplies.You seem to know what you're talking about LindsayT
I know that tune
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

Lego wrote: 2020-12-29 14:22

Just a USB plug.Whats been your experience with NOS DACs and power supplies.You seem to know what you're talking about LindsayT
My personal direct experience is very limited. However there are some people whose judgement I trust that have reported that with cheapo Chinese DAC's, changing the power supply from the ones supplied to a linear power supply - even if it's just a £40 ebayed linear power supply - has made significant improvements to the sound. To the point where without the power supply they wouldn't be inclined to keep it, with the power supply they were happy to keep and use it.

Which makes a lot of sense, given the source first hierachy. Sort of the equivalent of improving the power supply to a turntable.

Whether it would make any significant difference to your particular NOS DAC, remains to be seen. It's one of those things where it would depend on how comfortable you would be in taking a punt on a linear power supply, when there is no guarantee it would be worth the £40 or whatever it would cost for your particular DAC.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lindsayt wrote: 2020-12-30 13:56
Lego wrote: 2020-12-29 14:22

My personal direct experience is very limited. However there are some people whose judgement I trust that have reported that with cheapo Chinese DAC's, changing the power supply from the ones supplied to a linear power supply - even if it's just a £40 ebayed linear power supply - has made significant improvements to the sound. To the point where without the power supply they wouldn't be inclined to keep it, with the power supply they were happy to keep and use it.

Which makes a lot of sense, given the source first hierachy. Sort of the equivalent of improving the power supply to a turntable.

Whether it would make any significant difference to your particular NOS DAC, remains to be seen. It's one of those things where it would depend on how comfortable you would be in taking a punt on a linear power supply, when there is no guarantee it would be worth the £40 or whatever it would cost for your particular DAC.
That's very interesting ,thank you for the advice .Do you have a particular power supply in mind?£40 seems very specific.What kind of sound improvements were your people describing lindsayt?
I know that tune
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

This sort of thing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STUDER900-15 ... SwWmdbUw0o

Or this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-5V-USB-1 ... Sw0O9bH218

Or this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2020-version ... Sw~jpZu4-a

Or this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2020-HiFi-PS ... Sw4CFY52Ik

It's entirely up to you if you take a punt on a linear power supply or not. Ideally you'd borrow one from another enthusiast and try it with your DAC.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I'm surprised that a USB DAC is not powered by the USB input from the PC, avoiding the need for an additional power adaptor.

I am burning in a little cheap USB DAC and if it sounds competitive to the Gigaport HD+ I will post clips. First impression is not particularly encouraging though. It is connected via a Supra USB cable, which also needs to burn in. I'll give it a week.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve got one if someone would like to borrow it.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Spannko wrote: 2020-12-31 12:00 I’ve got one if someone would like to borrow it.
What's that Spannko
I know that tune
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I’ve got a £45 Chinese 5V linear power supply and a £5 Chinese dac if someone would like to borrow them to experiment.