Spotify on Hakai? (wired; headless)

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Spotify on Hakai? (wired; headless)

Post by tokenbrit »

(running headless Hakai on Debian, no desktop; connected over LAN)

Has anyone installed any Spotify client on their Hakai, and found a way to control it remotely, from WiFi to LAN?

I got mopidy-spotify installed and it connects to Spotify, as I can see my playlist, but I can't figure a way to control it remotely. I was expecting Spotify Connect to work, but mopidy/Hakai doesn't show up as an available device. From what I found via Spotify, Connect only connects over WiFi; apparently Spotify exclude LAN connections from Connect :(

Spotify do offer Spotify for Linux but that appears to expect/require a desktop, and I was looking to keep Hakai as headless, with as little OS footprint as possible. I'm not interested in Snakeoil as I want control over the config & system, but would like to know if / how anyone has got Spotify working over Ethernet, and what you use as a control point. Thanks.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Spotify on Hakai? (wired; headless)

Post by OscarH »

Yes and no...

The Snakeoil OS Spotify Connect player works perfect. The streamer is cabled to the network and controlled via Spotify app on any mobile device.

The ‘no’ is that I never managed to get it to work on the actual Hakai. The gigabyte motherboards don’t allow onboard audio to be disabled in the BIOS, which at least in my case has resulted in the sound being sent to the headphone out.

I’m now using a dedicated Spotify streamer using an Intel DM2800MT motherboard which does let you disable onboard audio.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

You can alter the default audio device to be the Gigaport. I've done it before, but can't remember how. I did a google search to find how to.
jewa

Post by jewa »

I had wrongly stated Mopidy in another thread but it should be 'spotifyd'.

https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd

I have it setup so that HAKAI appears as a source/player in the Spotify app. Works perfectly!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

jewa wrote: 2020-03-22 22:19 I had wrongly stated Mopidy in another thread but it should be 'spotifyd'.

https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd

I have it setup so that HAKAI appears as a source/player in the Spotify app. Works perfectly!
Many thanks jewa - just wrapping up removal of mopidy & mopidy-spotify (the autoremove --purge isn't as complete & clean as I would have preferred)

I will try spotifyd tomorrow, and report back
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Well, there are 2 options for spotifyd - guess who chose the 'wrong' one. Do not bother with snapcraft.io; snapd/spotifyd :/

Third time is a charm! If you want Spotify on Hakai (Debian) go to https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd and work through the steps*... All I've done so far is unpack the slim tar.gz into a folder under $home, and start spotifyd as needed, but it works, and can be controlled from the Spotify Connect app on the phone - that was all I wanted, really :)

Later I'll work out how to register as a service & start at boot, if I choose to have it running all the time. For now, I will enjoy the rest of the 30 day free trial. Cheers.

* I loosely followed the Installing on a Raspberry Pi instructions under the Wiki tab
Errol

Post by Errol »

Hi,
Thanks for valuable information, I'm almost there...
Long ago I tried to install mopidy but without success and leave it. Then later I installed MPD 21.11 and wow this is something! Big grin in my face and foot tapping like never before with my Hakai.
Lately I tried to install spotifyd to Debian 9 stretch but some version error occurs > didn't work, so I upgraded to Debian Buster and now I can see Spotifyd in my android and can start to play but no sound...
I have tried in spotifyd.conf various device settings but no success so far. What could be wrong?
This is what I have currently (in mpd.conf there is hw:1,0)

[global]
username = x
password = x
backend = alsa
device = hw:1 # Given by `aplay -L`
mixer = PCM
volume-controller = alsa # or alsa_linear, or softvol
#onevent = command_run_on_playback_event
device_name = x
bitrate = 320
cache_path = cache_directory
volume-normalisation = true
normalisation-pregain = -10

-e-
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

While my Linux skills are decidedly limited I suspect the hw1 audio output could be the issue. When trying to get Spotify to work on
my Snakeoil HAKAI, agent_kith (ie the man behind snakeoil OS) did some investigating and it seems Spotify defaults to hw0.

Do you get sound via headphone out ?
Errol

Post by Errol »

Thanks! now I found the correct one for device.
device = default:1
Spotify now playing through Hakai :)
- e-