HAKAI build for n00bs - lessons learned

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

HAKAI build for n00bs - lessons learned

Post by OscarH »

Having just completed my build of a hakai and matching hakai nas I thought I'd try to summarize the process while fresh in my mind. It may serve as inspiration to others doubting whether or not they dare commit to a build.

I have close to zero previous experience from computer builds or programming. Disclaimer: I do have an engineering degree in a different field. My general technical understanding is not bad.

Parts:
Motherboard: A suitable motherboard may indeed be tricky to find. I was fortunate to get kind offers from other forum members. There is help to be had also in 2020 if you ask for it.
SSD: Intel 320 in the 300 and 600Gb sizes are increasingly rare and fairly costly. There are loads of smaller ones on eBay, which is what I've gone for.
RAM, SATA cables, PSU and case: these are off the shelf. just order them. Note that PSU includes all internal power cable. You only need to buy the SATA cables separately.
DAC: off the shelf (though the Gigaport HD+ is supposedly being discontinued there are still loads available)

Note: if you build a NAS you need a SATA-to-USB cable to format the storage SSD. You also need a cable to connect a monitor (preferably VGA) and a standard keyboard and mouse. You also need another computer.

Build:
It's pretty straightforward. Most parts can only go in one place. Consult the motherboard, case and PSU manuals when in doubt. The two long assembly screws on the Streacom case are a pain in the ass. I've had them in and out many times...

Install OS:
First step - connecting the monitor can actually be tricky. Likely motherboard default is VGA output. The signal at this stage may be tricky for a monitor set to 'auto' to recognise. Set the monitor fixed to VGA. Of you still get nothing unplugging the CMOS battery from the motherboard should bring it back to factory default.

I've installed Snakeoil OS. The online installation guide is accurate and if followed will work. To set up as player/nas respectively the crucial information exists in the treads on this forum.

HELPDESK?:
The internet is your friend. I received invaluable support and encouragement from this forum during the process.

Don't fear the DIY.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Re: HAKAI build for n00bs - lessons learned

Post by OscarH »

One further lesson learned:

While building a similar player using an Intel DN2800MT motherboard I found I couldn’t make navigate properly or make changes in the BIOS. To use this unit for its intended purpose I had to disable onboard audio (Spotify Connect as implemented in Snakeoil OS will always play to “audio 0”) so this was a problem.

I found the BIOS had been password protected (got the MB used off eBay) - clearing the BIOS password could be done by manually moving a jumper on the motherboard. Solved.