RAM modules

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

fatjulio

RAM modules

Post by fatjulio »

I've had a Hakai for a couple of years now, currently running Debian stretch with mpd 21.11. I read in a forum post that FairPlayMonty posted about different RAM modules. The upshot is a 4GB module is a single rank device, and an 8GB is dual rank. The difference being single rank can access all the memory at once, whereas dual can only access half at once. The single rank supposedly sounds better. I assume it's because the dual rank is constantly switching, so creating interference.

I have an 8GB module, and decided to get a 4GB to try out. It definitely sounds more impressive, but at the moment isn't as musical. I'm hoping it'll get there with burn in, which it has started to after 24 hours of playing.

So if anyone with an 8GB module wants to have a cheap experiment, have a go.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Re: RAM modules

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Memory. This is one that I did not expect. Mark Jenkins did not specify which memory sounded better but since he also uses lower power boards I figured it could have something to do with single rank vs dual rank memory. I understand that single rank memory (1R) is configured to allow the CPU to access all the memory chips on the board at once ( even if spread over two sides) whereas with reguar or dual rank memory, only once side of the memory stick can be accessed at a time by the CPU.

I ordered 1Rx8 micron memory sticks and to my surprise they did sound better than the memory I bought from the local computer parts store. The difference was not as subtle as you would think.

That's the quote from Tasso in his introduction to building an idealish music server. Further in the forum there's more discussion of the difference between single rank and dual rank RAM.

The url for the forum is:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/ ... ic-server/

I found that they discussed some things in greater detail than on this site (RAM, Linux Kernels etc.) and had less detail on others (detailed comparisons of SSDs etc.).
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Overview

Generally Single Rank Memory is faster than Dual Rank Memory, in laymen’s terms when a computer accesses Single Rank Memory it only has to go around the track once, where are Dual Rank it would have to go around the track twice.

That quote is from the following:
https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

For any given RAM size of strip there are single rank or double rank strips available. It's important to know that it is not just the difference between a 4GB strip and an 8GB strip.

If you want to buy single rank memory I suggest just adding single rank to your browser search. Single rank is widely available.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I'm using the recommended Kingston Value RAM. There's only a 4GB or 8GB option with the right speed, so only 2 options to choose from with those.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I picked up two single rank 2GB strips from eBay this afternoon for nine pounds.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

After a few days of running in the 4GB module it got a bit better, but not as good as I remember the other being. So I've just swapped back and the 8GB is definitely more enjoyable.

From a sound point of view the 4GB has more bass and treble, more impressive, and the 8GB more mid range, less bass and treble (all relativity speaking). I'm finding that the more mid I can get, the more enjoyable it is. Which is of course opposite to impressive.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Whatever your ears enjoy is right!
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Exactly. Someone with a system that is a little dull sounding could very well benefit from some impressiveness. It is the sum of the parts that gets the end result.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I've tried an approach suggested on the Oz forum. Which is using one 2GB strip of 1R RAM. For me it's an audible improvement. The effect on the music lines up with what I understand of the physics.