Oz streamer (not HAKAI)

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Oz streamer (not HAKAI)

Post by springwood64 »

I have upgraded my Oz streamer (Snakai?) with a Gigabyte GA-N3150N-D3V motherboard and an RGeek mini ITX case plus power supply.

I guess this is more replacement than upgrade since all I'm retaining are the RAM, SATA cable and SSD.

This brings a nice upgrade in musicality. Sadly my Linn Axis is now my weaker source. Also sadly some of my ripped FLACs sound much worse than the same album via Qobuz. A few years ago I ditched the original CDs, so can't re-rip them. Most of my rips sound great though. I think this may be a result of experimenting with different ripping software years ago, but I can't really remember. I think the good rips were made with DBPoweramp.

My next step will be to replace the hub that connects the streamer and the NAS with a Netgear switch and blue jeans cables. I'm not expecting this to improve my dodgy rips, but I'm curious to hear the impact on sound.
Last edited by springwood64 on 2020-08-14 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Oz streamer (not HAKAI)

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Pete,

Did you go for the closed lid RGeek case or the vented lid version?

The vented lid is a relatively new addition but it can be bought separately from the RGeek store on Aliexpress for around £5 by memory.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Oz streamer (not HAKAI)

Post by springwood64 »

I went for the closed lid. I'll keep an eye on the temperature. Hopefully it'll be cool enough.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Oz streamer (not HAKAI)

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Pete,

I only had an overheating problem with my Hakai server in a Streacom case. I'll buy an RGeek vented lid and transfer the server contents to the vented RGeek case. I don't think I'm giving the Streacom a chance to dissipate heat - too many drives, cables etc. in there at the moment. The case likely wasn't designed to be full to the extent mine is.

One other advantage of the RGeek case is how easily it attaches. The Streacom lids have screws with a small thread and the need for very accurate placement.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.