A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by OscarH »

Errol wrote: 2020-02-07 09:25 Hi,
Just for curiosity, how do you enable Spotify Connect on Hakai?
Do you use debian 9 stretch or something else?

Thanks!
-e-

That's a very good question... My Hakai is running Snakeoil which does have a Spotify Connect player included.
However, as per above, I haven't yet managed to get it fully working. It won't send the audio to the right place...
jewa

Post by jewa »

Last edited by jewa on 2020-03-22 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Troubleshooting

Post by OscarH »

So, I have successfully built one Hakai with OS and all. Now I'm in the process of getting the HAKAI NAS together.

I've assembled everything:

GA+N3150-D3V
2x Kingston ValueRAM - DDR3 - 4 GB - SO DIMM 204-PIN
120 GB Intel 320 (for OS)
600 GB Intel 320 (for storage)
Streacom PSU + case

When powered on I get blue light from the diode and a beep (presumably) from the motherboard. Then nothing.

Nothing comes on screen (have tried different screens and both DVI and displayport outputs), whether on normal power up or if I try to enter the BIOS.

I've opened the case up several times to ensure all connectors are in place. It would seem there is a faulty component somewhere.

Anyone with more computer insight with thoughts on what might cause this behaviour? Suggestions for where to start troubleshooting?
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

Try with vga, I had the same problem with my N3160-D3V
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

I just tried the DVI output at the office and it came up just fine.

Might be as simple as the DVI-HDMI cable I have at home is faulty. Strange that displayport, also tested at the office earlier today, didn't work though...

My amused colleagues have suddenly learned a fair bit about music reproduction :)

Edit: tested displayport again at the office and that also works now. Would seem whatever the issue is it is intermittent. Let's hope it stays happy once it's up and running and largely left alone.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

It’s now back at home and back to non-working status. Something is clearly dodgy...

DIY isn’t supposed to be entirely plain sailing I guess...
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I've always used VGA for set up. It's foolproof.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

My mistake - I managed to confuse VGA and displayport. The motherboard doesn't even have displayport out.

VGA and DVI worked at the office yesterday. My monitor at home only has HDMI in so I've bought a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Will test that at work today.

If the cable is faulty, or that converted interface for some reason unreliable, I'll try to borrow a monitor with VGA in.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

OscarH wrote: 2020-02-20 09:31 I'll try to borrow a monitor with VGA in.
The IT department at work was EXTREMELY helpful when I explained why I needed to borrow a monitor - practically ran to the storage room. Just need to haul the sucker home, which requires buying a new tyre for the cargo bike.

The DIY saga continues :)
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-02-20 01:54 I've always used VGA for set up. It's foolproof.

Hmm... now got home with a standard VGA computer monitor. Nothing.

Not even on the motherboard which I’ve previously installed OS. I can access it fine over the network but there is zero display output.

The previously troubling motherboard is doing the same as before.

Have tested monitor and cables with outer sources. They work.

What the h-ll is going on here?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Sounds like a bad cable to me if the VGA monitor is working.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

A bad cable internally?

I’ve tested the VGA cable with another computer.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Does the monitor have an input button?
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-02-21 20:06 Does the monitor have an input button?
Hallelujah!!!

I could see it scanning between all inputs previously and finding nothing, but now I set the default to VGA and it works!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

For reference, should anyone else run into this, I still struggled with one motherboard not sending the video signal anywhere where I could find it.

Unplugging the CMOS battery on the motherboard for a little while, the plugging it back in, solved this. It resets all motherboard defaults, which for video is most likely VGA.

(This was indeed a niche case where the motherboard was previously used and so for one reason or another had, unintentionally, been set to another default.)
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Good reference, and advice. Glad you're making headway. Will be interested to hear what you think once you're up & running, and what operating system & package versions you installed.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

This year new neighbours moved in upstairs. Slowly I started noticing something rattling in my hifi system whenever they walk in their home - which of course they do ... all the time...

I never noticed neighbours walking around in the past but their footsteps create vibrations in their floor, transported into my celiing and walls, then to my floor, up through the rack into the equipment. Kind of like a big mechanical foot step amplifier!

I suspected something inside HAKAI touched the case so I opened it all up again and after a long tap-and-listen session, noticed that it was the power button! The power button is really.. sloppy.

I taped the HAKAI power button gently to the case - simple solution to a long and mysterious problem. :)
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

If one wishes to build a HAKAI, is this case recommended? Is there an alternate case to put in the shopping cart?
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-05 19:05 If one wishes to build a HAKAI, is this case recommended? Is there an alternate case to put in the shopping cart?
I know FairPlayMotty has tested some different cases, though the impact doesn’t appear significant

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=4272

I’d say for the Hakai itself there’s no particular reason not to use the streacom case. It fits all the components, is well made and looks nice and tidy in the rack.

For a Hakai NAS it may be more relevant to consider other options. My NAS holds two SSDs (as opposed to the single in the streamer) and it does run noticeably warmer. If even more SSDs are to be used for music storage a larger case (more air and more metal) is worth considering.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

OscarH wrote: 2020-10-06 13:26
WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-05 19:05 If one wishes to build a HAKAI, is this case recommended? Is there an alternate case to put in the shopping cart?
I know FairPlayMotty has tested some different cases, though the impact doesn’t appear significant

https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... =10&t=4272

I’d say for the Hakai itself there’s no particular reason not to use the streacom case. It fits all the components, is well made and looks nice and tidy in the rack.

For a Hakai NAS it may be more relevant to consider other options. My NAS holds two SSDs (as opposed to the single in the streamer) and it does run noticeably warmer. If even more SSDs are to be used for music storage a larger case (more air and more metal) is worth considering.
Gratitude OscarH but the Streacom case + PSU is big $$$ for a basic ITX case with a problematic on/off switch and a mains brick with apparent hum.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 19:18 [

Gratitude OscarH but the Streacom case + PSU is big $$$ for a basic ITX case with a problematic on/off switch and a mains brick with apparent hum.
I should point out that my own issues with the on/off switch, if that’s what you’re referring to, related to a defective PCB on a Streacom case I bought on eBay. Shouldn’t reflect negatively on the case itself.

The price is what it is, there are cheaper options yes.

The PSU needs to be considered separate from the case. Until further, it’s part of the Hakai specification.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Further gratitude. Has the PCB issue or on/off button issue been encountered by others here? I read back to your issue and similar by Paaf.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-06 19:36 Further gratitude. Has the PCB issue or on/off button issue been encountered by others here? I read back to your issue and similar by Paaf.
As far as I can determine they are entirely separate issues:

- My problem was that the switch on the PCB was missing a part - meaning there was no physical interface between the press button and the electronics. A new switch/PCB assembly was obtained from Streacom helpdesk.

- Paaf's issue seems to be that the press button was rattling in the case penetration. Solved with a bit of tape.

In retrospect I could have easily lived with my screwdriver workaround. Once the hakai is up and running it doesn't really need a switch. It can be rebooted either by pulling and reinserting the power cable or more elegantly via the network interface in Snakeoil OS (which I'm running).
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

OscarH wrote: 2020-10-06 13:26
I know FairPlayMotty has tested some different cases, though the impact doesn’t appear significant.
Thanks once more OscarH. FPM reached out to me. He's used five cases, ranks Streacom at five and Fractal Design Node 202 top.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-07 16:49 .. five cases ... Streacom at five and Fractal Design Node 202 top.
Curious what criteria determine top in this case (no pun intended ;) and what PSU in the FD establishes that ranking.