HAKAI Build Help?

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

WheresMyNaim

Re: HAKAI Build Help?

Post by WheresMyNaim »

nexus.jpg
Read instructions or plow on in?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Jetway Atom motherboard fitted. New DAC en route. SW loaded.

Thanks FPM for the advice and clips.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-28 23:59 Jetway Atom motherboard fitted. New DAC en route. SW loaded.

What SW are you using?
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-30 14:08
WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-28 23:59 Jetway Atom motherboard fitted. New DAC en route. SW loaded.

What SW are you using?
Snakeoil OS - I love the array of SW options it provides. Add the support and I have a mirror of the choices offered by Antipodes Audio etc. Should I opt to rip I can use Clementine. Past times I used Amarok. If I go Volumio it forces me to go MPD. Antipodes Audio and other streamer/server manufacturers offer the range of players/servers Snakeoil does with a rationale. Choice.

FPM's clips of Volumio/Snakeoil MPD & screenshots of Snakeoil MPD version history aided my decision. Versatility, regular updates, solid support etc. made my conclusion a snap.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-30 14:08

What SW are you using?
HW total outlay of below $175 including DAC. Bargain.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-30 17:17
It is hard to exaggerate just what a bargain the Hakai is - not only is it cheap by Audio standards, it plays music gloriously.
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

springwood64 wrote: 2020-10-30 17:21
WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-30 17:17
It is hard to exaggerate just what a bargain the Hakai is - not only is it cheap by Audio standards, it plays music gloriously.
The only doubt for me was the Jetway. Case choice was a home run for design and cost.

Sounds sweet with an old DAC. The new DAC is on the way. Confident it'll sound as good as it looks. Kith (?) and FPM are beyond helpful.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

I keep finding myself looking for the “like” button, but it seems I’ll have to put a post in.

Extremely pleased with my hakai, but also the dirt cheap Spotify streamer(s) build off the ready to go Intel Atom 2800 that FPM located on eBay.

I have a bunch of other DAC options lying around that I keep meaning to test.

agent_kith is an absolute star. Can’t believe how patient he is with all kinds of amateurs like myself.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

OscarH wrote: 2020-10-30 18:01 I keep finding myself looking for the “like” button, but it seems I’ll have to put a post in.

Extremely pleased with my hakai, but also the dirt cheap Spotify streamer(s) build off the ready to go Intel Atom 2800 that FPM located on eBay.

I have a bunch of other DAC options lying around that I keep meaning to test.

agent_kith is an absolute star. Can’t believe how patient he is with all kinds of amateurs like myself.

I concur on all Oscar, Kith is a top dude. Jetway board was the top pick of Australian forum, price new was cheap. I'm curious how this build will sound as a streamer and CD player (via Clementine). Switching between SW options is a breeze with Snakeoil OS.

FPM advised a few case mods for the Nexus. Isolate DVD drive etc.

The new DAC eagerly anticipated.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

Leap of faith with the Jetway - it sounds good. Burn-in and new DAC will make it sing I wager.

I've no way to compare this board to the Gigaport or Intels. But FPM can compare 2 Gigabytes models, 3 Intel models and this Jetway.

Intel Optane will burn-in over a couple of weeks I'm assured.
WheresMyNaim

Post by WheresMyNaim »

WheresMyNaim wrote: 2020-10-30 22:49 Leap of faith with the Jetway - it sounds good. Burn-in and new DAC will make it sing I wager.

I've no way to compare this board to the Gigaport or Intels. But FPM can compare 2 Gigabytes models, 3 Intel models and this Jetway.

Intel Optane will burn-in over a couple of weeks I'm assured.
Streamer singing with old DAC. If this is burning-in I'm smiling my butt off. Auralic is whacked already, new DAC to come.