Debian 9 Stretch

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Post by lejonklou »

Please keep a respectful tone, gentlemen! And don't call members children, that's unnecessary and will be removed.

In my opinion, HAKAI is difficult to define precisely. The hardware and how it's connected has a general structure but the exact parts have variations.

The firmware/software were not Volumio originally, we wrote our own. Therefore I consider this part the least critical for the final product to be called a HAKAI.

Volumio has had bugs, most not related to Apple, as I found them also when using Volumio's web interface. There were also distinct performance differences between older and newer versions (as Paaf described they would often sound close to identical but still vary in their level of engagement). I haven't kept up to date with the latest, so I can neither comment on the presence of bugs nor the musical performance.

In my opinion, both FairPlayMotty and Sopper have a point. One is that it's important to check whether an alternative program performs well - both musically and in terms of reliability/compatibility. Another point is that it's really exciting to start from scratch and see whether a new approach can perform better than Volumio - both musically and in terms of reliability/compatibility.

I think Sopper's Debian 9 Stretch experiment is super exciting. And from the clips I heard, it beat Volumio in musicality, which is impressive. If I hadn't been so busy with new vinyl related products, I'd try it right away. Those of you who do, please remember to think "How can I help?" before you think "This should have been done in a different way".
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Thanks for you reply Fredrik.

I'll do my best to keep it mature :)

For the people trying the debian stretch build; if you run into problems, just PM me and i'll assist, until you got it working!
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Thanks Fredrik, I think it's exciting too. The audiophile BPi community seems to be moving away from MPD-based software to another approach. I pm'd a guy on a BPi forum about the new software. If it seems viable, I'll post it. Is it worth creating an, "alternatives to Volumio" directory?
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Something came up in this thread regarding Apple and Volumio. Just giving my experience here: I use Android Kazoo, and I have a number of issues that no Apple users seem to have.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

What issues do you have? I had a few at the beginning but use of HiFi Cast worked for me. The one thing I do is clear the queue between albums, individual songs or playlists.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I wrote about it in another thread
https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 018#p38961 and
https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 018#p38975
plus follow-up posts there. If you wish to discuss Android Kazoo further, it's probably better (for the forum) to jump into the discussion there.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I've managed to install Debian Stretch and it does sound better than Volumio. One thing I'm struggling with is wifi. I have a usb dongle that was working fine with Volumio, no driver needed. I'm not sure how to get it working.

I'm trying to use wpa_supplicant, but I don't know how to install it. Would that be the best way?
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

fatjulio wrote: 2018-12-27 10:19 I've managed to install Debian Stretch and it does sound better than Volumio. One thing I'm struggling with is wifi. I have a usb dongle that was working fine with Volumio, no driver needed. I'm not sure how to get it working.

I'm trying to use wpa_supplicant, but I don't know how to install it. Would that be the best way?
Good to hear that Debian Stretch is working for you and the confirmation that it is more musical then Volumio.

I don’t use WiFi (dongle), so I cant help with that.
A google search routed me to linuxquestions.org; there are many threads about WiFi dongles.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

fatjulio wrote: 2018-12-27 10:19 I've managed to install Debian Stretch and it does sound better than Volumio. One thing I'm struggling with is wifi. I have a usb dongle that was working fine with Volumio, no driver needed. I'm not sure how to get it working.

Another solution though more expensive is to use an wlan range extender with the 5GHz band only.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

When you installed Debian, I'm guessing you had a LAN connection, or had a full Debian distribution image/disk... The first install I did with the Debian net install image, to a system & m/board with both LAN & wifi, I used the LAN. Doing it that way the Debian install did not install the wifi drivers - I saw log messages mentioning missing atheros drivers and was able to apt-get install those afterwards, & successfully setup wifi... Do you see any log messages that might give you a clue as to what wifi drivers are missing, or do you know the brand & chipset of the USB wifi dongle to find the drivers to install?

I wanted to use a different desktop environment - LXDE rather than Gnome - so went back & reinstalled Debian, this time selecting to install using the wifi option, which setup the necessary drivers and login details during & following the installation. This may be an option if you don't might reinstalling Debian, and the dongle is detected during install - bit of a 'sledgehammer' tho'.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

I have started from scratch again and took the easy route;
Installing MPD 0.21.3 and it’s dependencies from the “experimental” Debian repository.
This way is a lot easier then building MPD from source.
I will update the the build-post with instructions.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Sopper wrote: 2018-12-27 22:27 I have started from scratch again and took the easy route;
Installing MPD 0.21.3 and it’s dependencies from the “experimental” Debian repository.
This way is a lot easier then building MPD from source.
I will update the the build-post with instructions.
Good timing: my much delayed Nano160 is due to arrive tomorrow, finally, so the Hakai build can proceed starting this weekend...
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I've just tried playing some WAV files, and they aren't playing. They worked in Volumio with the updated MPD and upmpdcli. I'm using MPD 0.21.3 and upmpdcli 1.3.8
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

fatjulio wrote: 2019-01-03 08:41 I've just tried playing some WAV files, and they aren't playing. They worked in Volumio with the updated MPD and upmpdcli. I'm using MPD 0.21.3 and upmpdcli 1.3.8
Look at encoders, you are missing the wavpack encoder
mpd -version

To get it:
sudo apt-get install libwavpack-dev
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I do seem to have that. I did the install you suggested and it said it already has the latest version.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

fatjulio wrote: 2019-01-03 19:39 I do seem to have that. I did the install you suggested and it said it already has the latest version.
There should be no reason why wav won’t play then...
What does the log say?
Start a wav file and ssh into your HAKAI; sudo systemctl -l status mpd
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

The mpd status hasn't crashed, or saying anything different. Still active.
Lemmy

Post by Lemmy »

Sopper: Thanks for your guidelines, highly appreciated.
Is there a particular reason for installing mpd 0.21.3 instead of installing a slightly older version with just

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mpd
?
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Lemmy wrote: 2019-01-05 22:41 Sopper: Thanks for your guidelines, highly appreciated.
Is there a particular reason for installing mpd 0.21.3 instead of installing a slightly older version with just

sudo apt-get install mpd
?
Hello Lemmy,

MPD 0.21.x was a major update from 0.20.x
See the changelog:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Music ... .21.4/NEWS

So for stability and features: Yes
For tunefulness: Not sure, everyone has to find out for themselves
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Sopper wrote: 2018-12-17 11:18 Debian 9 Stretch
Now it's time to install MPD 0.21.3
There are 2 possible ways to install MPD
2. Installing using apt-get from experimental debian repository:
Install mpd:

sudo apt-get -t experimental install mpd
You'll likely get some warning about missing dependencies which cannot be downloaded.
When installing mpd package from experimental, I don't get dependencies; just a bunch of suggested packages:

Suggested packages:
  adplug-utils libroar-plugins-universal roaraudio-server libmuroar0 slpd
  socat sidplayfp icecast2 mpd-client
It's not clear whether any of these are necessary for HAKAI. I started trying to install them all, but a number require extra steps so I uninstalled everything, and went back to installing mpd only, without any of the additionally suggested packages. Is there anything there that is actually needed?
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Sopper wrote: 2018-12-17 11:18 Add upmpdcli to your sources list:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/upmpdcli.list
Paste the following in this file:

deb http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/debian/ stretch main
deb-src http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/downloads/debian/ stretch main
To install upmpdcli (and if you want Qobuz/Tidal/Gmusic)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install upmpdcli
# ...
Be aware, 'lesbonscomptes' redirects to https:// so you may see this when you first try to install upmpdcli:

E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.
If so, you'll need to enable secure http installs in apt:

sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
Once you've added this you should be able to 'sudo apt-get install upmpdcli' without issue...
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Good additions, tokenbrit.

Some libs are hard dependency baked in the core, others are for convenience and support.
If MPD installs without errors, then fine.
If not, it will tell you which ones you’ll need.

Many libs are just for supporting file formats, decoding, etc.
Example: libflac is needed to play FLAC files, etc.

I noticed, btw, that the latest mpd (0.21.4) is moved to Debian SID.

I’ve added your addition about https to the instruction-post, thanks.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Sopper wrote: 2019-01-07 18:56 I noticed, btw, that the latest mpd (0.21.4) is moved to Debian SID.
That might explain why I ended up with mpd 0.19.21
Checking Debian, there's no mpd package in experimental any more so, guessing, apt-get falls back to stretch main, despite the -t experimental install... Might also explain why I didn't have any problems with dependencies.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

tokenbrit wrote: 2019-01-07 21:52
Sopper wrote: 2019-01-07 18:56 I noticed, btw, that the latest mpd (0.21.4) is moved to Debian SID.
That might explain why I ended up with mpd 0.19.21
Checking Debian, there's no mpd package in experimental any more so, guessing, apt-get falls back to stretch main, despite the -t experimental install... Might also explain why I didn't have any problems with dependencies.
Explains all indeed.
Adding Sid works the same as experimental though, so doable
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I have Debian Stretch via the dev-Volumio version. This evening I updated MPD to 0.21.4 using apt-get (SID).

First it ran with errors, so I added the log file and it worked. After command "reboot" it booted slowly, gave the beeps and "dah-ding", and was unreachable. A power button reboot worked, it played again. Some more apt-get work, command "reboot" and again unreachable. Now, after several power button reboots, it is still unreachable - though still makes the sounds as if everything starts fine.