Debian 9 Stretch

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Debian 9 Stretch

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2019-09-20 16:06 Hakai is now working!!!!
Top banana :) So... How does it sound? ;)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I've had to up the buffer from 256 to 512 to avoid stuttering. And take a long walk in the late afternoon sun to blow off the frustrations of working with the debian command line :) So only a few tracks in right now.

Initial impressions are very good. It's useless to compare with my memory of Volumio or Snakeoil as I have re-ripped since. But it's only a few days since I heard the ADS/3... Proper comparisons will follow next week. They may very likely be delayed by a batch of new vinyl which is due to arrive tomorrow!

EDIT: a few more tracks and I'm starting to see strengths and weaknesses - I will need to optimise before making any judgments.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

New definition of mph: miles per hakai ;)

Glad you got it working and that initial impressions are promising... Sounds like fun a fun week ahead - hope you enjoy the music, whatever the source :)
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Good to hear you have it working now David
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

More help needed!

Post by David Neel »

More help needed.

All has been working. The MPD version was 19.21, the latest available (?) under stretch experimental. So I want to try 21.11. I tried installing a downloaded .deb file, and I get a long list of unmet dependencies. I can also download tar.gz file or a zip file, but can't work out how to get any further.

Do I need to upgrade to Buster first? Or how do I get 21.11 under Stretch?

Why do I want to go to 21.11? Because the current configuration with 19.21 seems very sluggish, very little impetus or excitement to the music. That's not necessarily down to the MPD version, but I chose that as my starting point...
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

I wouldn’t advise manual building from source; a lot of work and stress to figure out how to get the right dependencies.

Short route is to upgrade Debian to “Buster”, which is quite easy to do, or start fresh with Buster installation usb stick.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks, Sopper!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

No need to go to buster - you can select from versions of mpd in repositories other than stretch by amending your sources file.

0.21.5 is available from buster. 0.21.13 is available from sid. Either of those versions can be installed on stretch by adding one of the following, respectively, to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main

If the existing entries for stretch look a little different, copy the format before "/debian" from your sources... Once you have saved your new sources file, run the following from the command line:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mpd

That's the easiest way of getting updated mpd versions. Let us know how you get on.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thought you posted that you needed a kernel update... :?

If so,
was that for 21.5 or 21.13? Sounds like you need to run 'sudo apt-get upgrade'... If you want to see what it'll do, before accepting, type the following: sudo apt-get -s upgrade

That will show you what will be upgraded... If you're ok with the list of packages, and it includes the stretch kernel revision, then remove the -s, and re-run...

Otherwise, you could go to buster, as indicated by Sopper ;)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks, tokenbrit - I did post that I needed a kernel upgrade, but trying to get putty to respond I must have randomly hit a key which resumed the process (!) so I deleted the post - and I now have MPD 21.13 running on Stretch, without a kernel update :)

It's a very significant improvement on 19.21. Caffeine supplies for musicians seem to have been restored, and pianos sound a bit more like pianos.

But thank you for your quick response! Now, if I could work out how to get 21.11, as recommended by you and fatjulio...
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

David Neel wrote: 2019-09-23 19:05 .. I now have MPD 21.13 running on Stretch, without a kernel update :)

It's a very significant improvement on 19.21. Caffeine supplies for musicians seem to have been restored, and pianos sound a bit more like pianos.

But thank you for your quick response! Now, if I could work out how to get 21.11, as recommended by you and fatjulio...
Glad to hear, and you're welcome. I wish I knew how to get specific versions of mpd, other than to download & compile the source... The only thing I found was from 'pkgs dot org', look up mpd - 0.21.11 is listed under Debian 10 (Buster), but I don't know anything about the site, whether they are trustworthy, or exactly what to do with the .deb - sorry.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Thanks again, tokenbrit. I had found pkgs and it was from there I downloaded the .deb file which wouldn't install. But now that I have 21.13 working and loads of dependencies updated, I will give it another go.

It's good, but it's not "right" yet....
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Jean Francois Dockes, the Developer of UPMPDCLI, confirmed my suspicions...
Sins 2 days Qobuz has removed all entrances to their service via Linux api.
Their github where they maintained the Qobuz api is empty... and I am unable to connect to Qobuz; getting error 801.

So as for now, no more Qobuz with Linux
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

That's a 'buzkil' :/
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Sopper wrote: 2019-10-06 07:54 Jean Francois Dockes, the Developer of UPMPDCLI, confirmed my suspicions...
Sins 2 days Qobuz has removed all entrances to their service via Linux api.
Their github where they maintained the Qobuz api is empty... and I am unable to connect to Qobuz; getting error 801.

So as for now, no more Qobuz with Linux
A comment from Qobuz:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topi ... ent-995177

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677