HAKAI NAS

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Re: HAKAI NAS

Post by FairPlayMotty »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-01-13 00:12 What interface are you using for the different SSDs? Speculation on my part, but if that interface isn't directly to the sata ports on the mobo, maybe it's not allowing musical differences between SSDs to show through... It would be good to get a better understanding of what is going on especially since your results are different to those reported previously.

https://youtu.be/Pj-qBUWOYfE
I'm not sure what you mean by interface. My Hakai Server runs SnakeOil OS. Within that I use Minimserver and my file system at the moment is NTFS. Within SnakeOil OS I have other options but my focus for the moment is on building a new Hakai Server and dedicated player based on what I believe to be the best parts of the Hakai approach and the extensive work done by Tasso, Agent_Kith and Chan on the Australian server site.

I believe Agent_Kith uses the CIFS approach to file sharing, having tried both CIFS and NFS.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

David Neel wrote: 2020-01-12 18:19
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-01-12 17:42
OscarH wrote: 2020-01-12 17:38 Basic question perhaps, anyway... I believe I see a variety of SSD’s in your pictures FairPlayMotty: does that mean that it’s not so critical exactly which type is used for music storage space?
My experience has been there's negligible difference in the sound quality of the SSDs holding the flac files. I always use an Intel 320 for the operating system - there's a big difference there.
I've not experimented - all the SSDs I've used have been Intel 320s. BUT: the recommendation for the LSNAS was Intel 320s for the data storage, and perhaps a compromise on the OS SSD.
After some reading around recent developments in the manufacture of SSDs I think the technology may have moved on since the LSNAS days. Even since I bought my 1TB SSDs to build my Hakai Server I could have 6TB of storage space for not much more than I paid then for 3TB.

I used to subscribe to a technology magazine. Reading past issues from a year or more back is amusing. The rate of change leaves best buys in parts of the IT world looking like a joke relatively fast.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Hello - making good progress with my system.

Hakai and hakainas are up and running on the network, seemingly recognized by each other as well as Kazoo where I can play radio through the Hakai and see the hakainas as a music server.

I’m running SnakeoilOS so have the Hakai set to upmpdicli Player and the nas as minimserver.

So far so good. But I haven’t figured out how to get my flac files from my windows pc to the NAS and which type of mount is appropriate for this.

If the Hakai is a niche product the hakainas is even worse... anyone want to have mercy on me with a ‘musicserver for dummies’ please?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Snakeoil automatically recognises any sata drive. The easiest way to begin is to choose NTFS.

To copy your files across from Windows you need to go through a series of steps to allow Windows to see the Linux directories set up ny Smakeoil OS.

The following should guide you through the steps:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... my-network
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Thanks for the link FPM!

There do appear to be a few different solutions in that tread, including enabling SMBv1 which isn’t recommended by Microsoft. Do you know what is required by Snakeoil? I’d rather not change more in windows than necessary so if one of the other workarounds will do the trick I should start with that....
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Enable Samba. Microsoft doesn't like it. Presumably your network security is good so you ought to be fine.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Hmm, I appear to fail with the foolproof mounting....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Did you format the disk Oscar?
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Not specifically... I thought everything would be wiped during installation.

But then there was the failed mounting attempt yesterday....

How would I go about formatting it?
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Download the free version of EaseUS software for your Windows PC.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Will that allow me to get into the Snakeoil/Linux Hakainas and Format the storage ssd?

Thank you very much!

I sometimes wish this forum had more off-topic topics so I’d get a chance to repay some favors with stuff I actually know...
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

It'll allow you to format the SSD to NTFS.

Just keep at it, we all learn everyday :)
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

With EaseUS you request the formatting you want then go to the top and tap execute.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-02-23 18:34 It'll allow you to format the SSD to NTFS.

Just keep at it, we all learn everyday :)
Do I need to connect the ssd directly to the windows pc? I don’t seem to be able to see my network in easeUS.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Yes, do you have a sata to USB adapter?
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-02-23 19:32 Yes, do you have a sata to USB adapter?
No I don’t, so that’ll set me back a day or two.
Oh well...
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Do you work beside IT staff? They're usually helpful with this sort of thing. Good luck!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

If you have a friendly IT department, ask them to clean the ssd and create a single primary partition. Then, if you connect the ssd directly to your pc via a usb-sata adapter, you can use Windows' Disk Management to format the ssd to NTFS and copy your music files to it while it's attached... That way, you wouldn't need EaseUS, or SMB.
Once the music folders & files have finished being copied over, either tell WIndows to eject the ssd drive, or shutdown your PC. Then you can safely disconnect your ssd & reinstall it in your Hakai NAS with music files already on there.
Once you've done all that, Snakeoil OS 'should' allow you to mount the music ssd next time you power up your NAS, and MinimServer should be able to read the ssd & create the library from there...

Let us know how you get on and if you need any more troubleshooting / help.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

tokenbrit wrote: 2020-02-24 01:21 Notify me when a reply is posted
EXPAND VIEWTOPIC REVIEW: HAKAI NAS
Re: HAKAI NASQuote tokenbrit
by tokenbrit » 2020-02-24 01:21

If you have a friendly IT department, ask them to clean the ssd and create a single primary partition. Then, if you connect the ssd directly to your pc via a usb-sata adapter, you can use Windows' Disk Management to format the ssd to NTFS and copy your music files to it while it's attached... That way, you wouldn't need EaseUS, or SMB.
Once the music folders & files have finished being copied over, either tell WIndows to eject the ssd drive, or shutdown your PC. Then you can safely disconnect your ssd & reinstall it in your Hakai NAS with music files already on there.
Once you've done all that, Snakeoil OS 'should' allow you to mount the music ssd next time you power up your NAS, and MinimServer should be able to read the ssd & create the library from there...

Let us know how you get on and if you need any more troubleshooting / help.
I hate Windows Disk Management.

If Oscar wants to access his HakaiNAS files from his Windows PC (I do daily to add albums) he will still have to follow the steps in the link I sent earlier to enable proper file sharing between Windows and Linux.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

The SATA-to-USB cable will be with me tomorrow. A little bit unlucky as I would have had time to tinker with it tonight, but then again only a slight delay to a project which is proving a great learning experience and which couldn't be expected to be plug and play anyway.

I will indeed need to figure out how to get access to the hakaiNAS via the network to be able to add more music at a later stage. It may well be faster to do the initial load up of the SSD while I have it connected to the PC so I'll consider that.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

It's progress albeit less rapid than you would like.
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Am I nearly there, you may wonder?

I’ve successfully formatted the SSD to NTFS and mounted it in Snakeoil as /dev/sdb5 on /media/music/sdb5

I’ve changed the windows settings such that now both Hakai and Hakainas appear in the network on my windows pc.

I can click on the hakainas and find a folder called music, inside which is one called sdb5.

I thought that’s where I was supposed to move my music. I moved a small 1GB folder and can see the available space in the snakeoil dashboard drop by 1GB.

But nothing appears in Kazoo for me to play. I’ve tried moving the flac files around, inside outside folders etc, to no avail. What am I missing?

I think this should be on to one of the final stages of troubleshooting....
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

OscarH wrote: 2020-02-25 22:23 Am I nearly there, you may wonder?

I’ve successfully formatted the SSD to NTFS and mounted it in Snakeoil as /dev/sdb5 on /media/music/sdb5

I’ve changed the windows settings such that now both Hakai and Hakainas appear in the network on my windows pc.

I can click on the hakainas and find a folder called music, inside which is one called sdb5.

I thought that’s where I was supposed to move my music. I moved a small 1GB folder and can see the available space in the snakeoil dashboard drop by 1GB.

But nothing appears in Kazoo for me to play. I’ve tried moving the flac files around, inside outside folders etc, to no avail. What am I missing?

“Have you tried turning it off and back on again?”

It bloody works!!!!!
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Have you set up Minimserver Oscar?
OscarH wrote: 2020-02-25 22:36
OscarH wrote: 2020-02-25 22:23 Am I nearly there, you may wonder?

“Have you tried turning it off and back on again?”

It bloody works!!!!!
OscarH
Very active member
Very active member

Post by OscarH »

Yes, I meant the last line - it actually works now.

The final step was embarrassingly basic; I juste needed to reboot the nas after I’d loaded music onto it.