NAS Software

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: NAS Software

Post by Lego »

Paaf wrote: 2018-11-14 15:55 Ah, because the music went over the air... gotcha. :)

I think I'll go with OpenMediaVault if no one is of the opinion that there is a better or simpler choice.
That's the one I'm going to go with, let me know how you proceeded with it, I managed it once then after that continued to get errors during install.Kept asking for a cd to be inserted for the install.
I know that tune
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

I had no issues installing OMV, works like a charm
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sopper wrote: 2018-11-14 20:14 I had no issues installing OMV, works like a charm
Which version did you flash to the ssd Sopper?
I know that tune
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

4.1.12 (Arrakis)
Or it might be 4.1.3 and got updated to 4.1.12
Last edited by Sopper on 2018-11-15 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm using Debian plus Asset on my Hakai NAS. Is there any benefit to using OMV instead of generic Debian? Either for ease of use or, better, for musicality?
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

I'm using MiniDLNA with OpenMediaVault. So far it seems to work fine, although ONCE it seemed to skip half a second of a song.

(First impression is that even without proper placement the HAKAI NAS is X% better than TS109 + Twonky with good placement. X is greater than 0.)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

David Neel wrote: 2018-11-15 19:46 I'm using Debian plus Asset on my Hakai NAS. Is there any benefit to using OMV instead of generic Debian? Either for ease of use or, better, for musicality?
What you have is an OS plus a media server. OMV is an OS with nas functionality and I'm guessing would relay health of HDs etc which is probably not really an issue with our setup. I cant see why OMV would sound better although we would never know unless we compared
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Is there a consensus for what NAS Software to go with on a HAKAI (or LS) NAS. I finally have a server built close to the old LSNAS specs with intent to use as a replacement for my old Netgear ReadyNAS. It's running Debian 9, with 2 Intel 320 SSDs for the music files, and an Intel X25-V for the o/s & audio server software. I've read mention of MinimServer, Asset, or MiniDLNA on different flavours of Linux-based o/s, and mention of Volumio via NFS... Would the latter mean that an audio server is not necessary on the NAS, and Volumio builds the library itself, or am I misunderstanding? Grateful for thoughts on musicality, ease of install, cost, reliability, etc...