Source HAKAI components Cross-Country

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Source HAKAI components Cross-Country

Post by David Neel »

One final thought for non-UK Hakai builders: if you have to pay any duties/taxes in your own country, these are (obviously) your responsibility....
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Thank you everybody for providing your details. I am told that the batch is due to arrive in the UK within the next two weeks, possibly late next week.

I am now told that the boards are the GA-N3160N-D3V rather than the GA-N3150N-D3V. Sorry for the misinformation, this has only become clear today. If this means that anybody changes their mind, please let me know by Monday latest.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I just did a little research on the GA-N3160N-D3V. It appears to be an identical motherboard, at least all the specs are exactly the same. The difference is the N3160 CPU instead of the N3150. Both have the same 1.6GHz clock speed but the N3160 has a little faster Turbo speed making it a bit quicker on some tasks. The only other difference I could find is that you can't overclock the N3160 but you can slightly overclock the N3150 to 1.75GHz in some circumstances, hardly important for what we want to do.

The motherboard says it uses either DDR3 or DDR3-L memory so whatever RAM we are using should be OK. Consider me still in.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

50. 60. What's 10 between friends? ;)
Still in (with thanks to ThomasOK for the research results :)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hmm not sure about this Please count me out, David..I do apologize,I'll stick with what I know and dont want to be too hasty
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Is there anyone here who can help source some 'tacos for me, please? I'll likely need a minimum of 3 of the recommended Deltaco SATA cables; might as well get 6, if they're a 'sensible' price, so that I have some spares... Hoping some kind person can pop a few in a padded mailer bag, and send to the US. Let me know the price and preferred payment arrangements. Thanks.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

tokenbrit wrote:Is there anyone here who can help source some 'tacos for me, please? I'll likely need a minimum of 3 of the recommended Deltaco SATA cables; might as well get 6, if they're a 'sensible' price, so that I have some spares... Hoping some kind person can pop a few in a padded mailer bag, and send to the US. Let me know the price and preferred payment arrangements. Thanks.
Drop me a PM :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

UPDATE:

The N3160N-D3V motherboards are now in stock. You will be contacted via email addresses you have provided, to arrange credit card or paypal payments. I expect this to happen tomorrow. Despatch will follow cleared payment.

1. UK deliveries will be subject to postage of <£10.
2. EU deliveries will be subject to postage of c.£20. VAT will be charged on EU deliveries as per EU VAT regulations for consumers. So you will be buying as private individuals.
3. US and NZ deliveries will be subject to postage of c.£20. I have not found a way of removing VAT from these units. I know it is suppose to be possible, but the supplier is unable. I realise that this may mean some changed minds. Please let me know if this is the case - the supplier has been told that this may happen.

And the best news: my Hakai (N3050N-D2P) continues to improve with burn-in.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Thanks for the update - much appreciated. No email as yet, but will have to decide on the VAT... I admit I do not understand why the supplier cannot just zero-rate the sale per the HM Revenue & Customs gov.uk webpage: "zero rate the sale, as long as you get and keep evidence of the export...". Of course that reads as simple - just don't collect the 20%. Surprised that you have to do the legwork, and that their accountant or an HMRC official can't advise. Grateful to you for coordinating.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm both staggered and disappointed by this inability to remove the VAT - and I have supplied exactly these bits of HMRC advice. I will make one final phone call in the morning to try to reason with them for the third time....
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote:Thanks for the update - much appreciated. No email as yet, but will have to decide on the VAT... I admit I do not understand why the supplier cannot just zero-rate the sale per the HM Revenue & Customs gov.uk webpage: "zero rate the sale, as long as you get and keep evidence of the export...". Of course that reads as simple - just don't collect the 20%. Surprised that you have to do the legwork, and that their accountant or an HMRC official can't advise. Grateful to you for coordinating.
Tokenbrit when you hear the Hakai up and running I can assure you, you will not be munching your teeth about a measly 20% , you'll be wishing you had bought 2 ...LOL
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lego wrote: .. when you hear the Hakai up and running I can assure you, you will not be munching your teeth about a measly 20% , you'll be wishing you had bought 2 ...LOL
Curious from the person that asked to be counted out... LOL
Maybe I have been in the States too long but taxation without representation doesn't sit too well over here ;)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote:
Lego wrote: .. when you hear the Hakai up and running I can assure you, you will not be munching your teeth about a measly 20% , you'll be wishing you had bought 2 ...LOL
Curious from the person that asked to be counted out... LOL
Maybe I have been in the States too long but taxation without representation doesn't sit too well over here ;)
I asked to be counted out because it wasn't the mobo I was after, and maybe it's just as well you don't know what the sellers mark up is as that might not sit well with you either if you think its too excessive.

I think you should concentrate on the goal at hand and that is to get a very good digital streamer at a price you want to pay. Keep your eyes on the bottom line.

A wee tip for you Tokenbrit if you want to avoid purchase tax just don't purchase anything, you'll save a fortune :o)
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Lego wrote: .. at a price you want to pay.
Exactly ;) We're all different wrt budget, principles, goals, priorities, etc.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote:
Lego wrote: .. at a price you want to pay.
Exactly ;) We're all different wrt budget, principles, goals, priorities, etc.
With a little bit of wiggle room ,once you hear it though perhaps you might feel you were a little ...........I'll let you fill it in once you've been Hakaid :o)
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

A Scotsman calling an Englishman cheap? Ha ha! You take the high road, and I'll take the low road, and you'll get a Hakai before me. LOL
I have time to decide and consider options since it's not the preferred board, as you yourself decided, and the email hasn't arrived yet from the supplier... Once it does, I'll make my decision.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Well, your decision looms! Emails will be going out later today, I believe.

I've just had another conversation with the supplier and very cordially let him know my reading of the rules, and he has in turn talked this morning with both his accountant and the distributor, who have both advised him that he needs to charge the VAT, so.....

In mitigation of this, I would point out that he has gone to Interparcel for the overseas deliveries and saved a useful amount over the intially proposed UPS delivery charges....

I can't wait to get my new board and get the burn-in process started.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

tokenbrit wrote:A Scotsman calling an Englishman cheap? Ha ha! You take the high road, and I'll take the low road, and you'll get a Hakai before me. LOL
I have time to decide and consider options since it's not the preferred board, as you yourself decided, and the email hasn't arrived yet from the supplier... Once it does, I'll make my decision.
:0)
I know that tune
William

Post by William »

Hi,

Has anyone received an email yet?

Thanks,

William
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

David Neel wrote:Emails will be going out later today, I believe.
Seems I was a bit previous. But within 24 hours now. You will all need to supply a phone number for delivery as the carrier requires this. I just paid for mine....
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Emails went out yesterday. If you haven't received one, please check your spam filter, and if it's still missing, PM me. I've had a report that the paypal link isn't working for one person, but others have successfully paid. At the bottom of the email is also a link to pay by credit card.

Please pay promptly - overseas shipping rates have apparently benefited from a bulk collection so late orders may incur an extra charge. Shipping is planned for early next week, Monday if all payments have been made.

EDIT: the paypal problem was that Swedish krona was not on the currency list - that is now fixed.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

I'm having trouble sourcing the Deltaco Sata cable. I'm in New Zealand. Can someone direct me to a site that would ship here?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

X
Last edited by Lego on 2018-10-16 18:47, edited 4 times in total.
I know that tune
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

fatjulio wrote:I'm having trouble sourcing the Deltaco Sata cable. I'm in New Zealand. Can someone direct me to a site that would ship here?
Let me know if you need help. I have 10 min walk from work to webhallen and they have the cable in stock.
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Thanks for the replies. The markit link is very expensive. I'll take you up on your offer maffe, I'll send you a pm.