Volumio.

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Volumio.

Post by Paaf »

MPD Version: I still use MPD 21.16, since it so nicely improved my HAKAI. However, I just noticed that there are a list of newer MPD versions, did you try any of them?

MPD Config

I want to have basic functionality like:

*) From a given CUE file and FLAC file containing several tracks, show this as separate tracks in the app with the nice info from the CUE file, like where each song starts, the song name, other info etc.

and
B) Same but for CUE+ISO files

I spent hours trying to configure MPD to do it. Also, to be completely honest, I don't understand how/why MPD could even do this, since we connect the app directly to the NAS, not via MPD. Maybe I'm barking at the wrong IP...

Here my added rows to /etc/mpd.conf which resulted in no change.

Code: Select all

playlist_plugin {
    name "cue"
    enabled "yes"
}
playlist_plugin {
    name "flac"
    enabled "yes"
}
playlist_plugin {
    name "iso"
    enabled "yes"
}
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Only just saw this, Paaf. Haven't tried beyond version 21.11 myself... What version were you on before, that 21.16 was a nice improvement, and are you running Volumio on your Hakai, or something else?
TMV

Post by TMV »

Cobra Dave wrote: 2020-10-23 12:08 I installed latest version of Volumio (2.834 for Asus Tinkerboard S, and the Gigaport HD+ DAC) a couple of weeks ago.

It all looked good, Volumio found the DAC, but got this error as soon as I started to play any music:

Failed to open “alsa” [alsa];
Error opening ALSA device
“hw:5,0”;
snd_pcm_hw_params() failed:
Broken pipe

This can be solved by installing an old version of Volumio.
It can be a power issue, check cables and PSU.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I am keen to try out Volumio and compare to SO. However I am finding it tricky to navigate all the options.

I assume I can follow the current Volumio instructions to install 2.411 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TuV3eU ... sp=sharing), and MPD 0.21.16 is here: https://community.volumio.org/t/mpd-0-2 ... -x86/11554

However I am not certain about operating system. Does that need to be pre-installed before attempting to load Volumio?

Does it use upmpdcli? I'm using the latest version of upmpdcli on my SO Hakai with MPD 0.21.25
Pete

Linn Axis, Kinki, Källa (GS308T+Amplifi HD x 2 + BJC), Boazu, Espeks
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

Volumio comes with it's own operating system. It will wipe the disk and install Volumio as the only thing on it. It does use upmpdcli. If you install Volumio from the image and update mpd from the link, that's all you need to do.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

fatjulio wrote: 2021-03-18 09:40 Volumio comes with it's own operating system. It will wipe the disk and install Volumio as the only thing on it. It does use upmpdcli. If you install Volumio from the image and update mpd from the link, that's all you need to do.
Thanks very much! I have a spare Intel 320 SSD so I can retain both SO and Volumio and compare them.

Has anyone applied cpuset or process priority to mpd with Volumio?
Pete

springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I switched from Snakeoil (MPD 0.21.22) to Volumio (MPD 0.21.16) at the weekend, at the same time as switching from Intel 320 120GB SSD to Intel 160GB SSD (so I could easily revert).

Gosh. I was a bit surprised. The combined difference is striking.

Clips to follow ....
Pete

markiteight

Post by markiteight »

I'm looking forward to your clips, Pete. There have been promises in the past of comparisons between SO and Volumio but IIRC nothing has actually been posted. My own experience of Snakeoil and Volumio is separated by considerable time so your clips will be quite instructional.
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

markiteight wrote: 2021-03-24 23:57 I'm looking forward to your clips, Pete. There have been promises in the past of comparisons between SO and Volumio but IIRC nothing has actually been posted. My own experience of Snakeoil and Volumio is separated by considerable time so your clips will be quite instructional.
Here they are: https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 288#p55288
Pete

fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

fatjulio wrote: 2020-08-26 21:54 I've spent some more time with NFS, and I have to say I prefer CIFS. NFS for me is less musical, I'm disconnected from it, whereas with CIFS I'm right in there.
I've given NFS another go, and now prefer it. I've also set the audio buffer in Volumio to it's max at 12MB and disabled the dlna server in the NAS, which is a Hakai. Disabling the dlna server is quite a noticable improvement. The combo of those things is a large musical upgrade.

I wonder how long we have to wait hear about Fredrik's new streamer?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

fatjulio wrote: 2021-04-11 08:41
fatjulio wrote: 2020-08-26 21:54 I've spent some more time with NFS, and I have to say I prefer CIFS. NFS for me is less musical, I'm disconnected from it, whereas with CIFS I'm right in there.
I've given NFS another go, and now prefer it. I've also set the audio buffer in Volumio to it's max at 12MB and disabled the dlna server in the NAS, which is a Hakai. Disabling the dlna server is quite a noticable improvement. The combo of those things is a large musical upgrade.

I wonder how long we have to wait hear about Fredrik's new streamer?
Hold on Fatjulio ..What made you go back to listen to NFS again and what has changed that you enjoyed so much with cifs previously ?
I know that tune
fatjulio

Post by fatjulio »

The reason I gave it another go was the old "looking for an improvement". There have been many times I tried a recommended change and thought no, but then after a while try again, and hear it's value. I seem to need to be "ready" to accept some changes.

The changes which also helped were the disabling of the DLNA server and increasing the audio buffer size.

The "thickness" of CIFS was something I liked, and I got that back with the audio buffer increase. Disabling the DLNA server made it "thinner" but more musical and alive, same with NFS. So this combo lets me have everything.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

fatjulio wrote: 2021-04-22 03:07 The reason I gave it another go was the old "looking for an improvement". There have been many times I tried a recommended change and thought no, but then after a while try again, and hear it's value. I seem to need to be "ready" to accept some changes.

The changes which also helped were the disabling of the DLNA server and increasing the audio buffer size.

The "thickness" of CIFS was something I liked, and I got that back with the audio buffer increase. Disabling the DLNA server made it "thinner" but more musical and alive, same with NFS. So this combo lets me have everything.
Oops just saw this .Thanks Fatjulio I will try and disable dlna server ,if I've enabled it.Just realised I hadn't installed any server plugin to Openmediavault.
Which would explain why I heard a bigger difference with Hakai Nas than Synology with dnla server.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Cobra Dave wrote: 2020-10-23 12:08 I installed latest version of Volumio (2.834 for Asus Tinkerboard S, and the Gigaport HD+ DAC) a couple of weeks ago.

It all looked good, Volumio found the DAC, but got this error as soon as I started to play any music:

Failed to open “alsa” [alsa];
Error opening ALSA device
“hw:5,0”;
snd_pcm_hw_params() failed:
Broken pipe

This can be solved by installing an old version of Volumio.

Having the same issue and i came across you on Vol forum saying 2.7...worked do you have a link for that CB as I'm using 2.5 and it's not even booting
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

It's fine 2.5x working like a treat
I know that tune