Volumio.

A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Volumio.

Post by Lego »

Not much has been said about the flakiness of Volumio apart from its tendency to be a little bit flaky :0)

Although I'm only using a laptop with Maplin Dac at present I hadn't noticed any problems with Volumio up until now. Without being too controversial I think the problem could possibly be the HD+ Dac.

The few issues I am having since changing to HD+ are:

1) Volumio tends to freeze from time to time

2) Clicking Play seems to stall things intermittently

3)When music does start it only plays one track at a time. This is a major PIA

Has anyone else had these issues and manage to resolve them?
I know that tune
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Volumio.

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I'm rather hoping it's less flaky when being used with a Hakai based on a Gigabyte GA-N3150N-D3V mobo. It would be great to know what to expect from my build later this week.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote:Not much has been said about the flakiness of Volumio apart from its tendency to be a little bit flaky :0)

Although I'm only using a laptop with Maplin Dac at present I hadn't noticed any problems with Volumio up until now. Without being too controversial I think the problem could possibly be the HD+ Dac.

I think you're spot on, Lego.

I've seen all the bugs you mention and indeed they seem related to how Volumio handles the Gigaport HD+. It appears related to when playback starts.

Perhaps we can find a solution? Or maybe the Volumio guys can find the bug if the question is posted at their forum. They often ask for a log file to track the bug.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I also wonder if installing the ESI Linux drivers (https://kb.esi-audio.com/?goto=KB00231EN) would help. Has anyone tried this?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote:
Lego wrote:Not much has been said about the flakiness of Volumio apart from its tendency to be a little bit flaky :0)

I think you're spot on, Lego.

I've seen all the bugs you mention and indeed they seem related to how Volumio handles the Gigaport HD+. It appears related to when playback starts.

Perhaps we can find a solution? Or maybe the Volumio guys can find the bug if the question is posted at their forum. They often ask for a log file to track the bug.
I get an eerie feeling their solution might be, use another Dac
I know that tune
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Hope you're wrong Lego but I get your fears. The Volumio guys must expect USB DACs in Linux judging by the devices on their website. I am still curious about the ESI Linux drivers.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

I’m using a Raspberry pi with Volumio and the esi HD+.
Same issue when using the web-interface, stops playing after one song. When using “Lumin” as controlpoint no problems at all, just ad the album and it keeps playing.
Kazoo only play Flacks and not Alac on my rpi, NAS is a QNAP running MinimServer.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

maffe wrote:I’m using a Raspberry pi with Volumio and the esi HD+.
Same issue when using the web-interface, stops playing after one song. When using “Lumin” as controlpoint no problems at all, just ad the album and it keeps playing.
Kazoo only play Flacks and not Alac on my rpi, NAS is a QNAP running MinimServer.
Mafee,

Did you try using the ESI Linux drivers?
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

FairPlayMotty wrote:
Mafee,

Did you try using the ESI Linux drivers?[/quote]

Nope, I just installed the Volumio for raspberry on the micro-SD card and it was up and running. Did not feel the urge to do more then that
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I just registered with Volumio and raised this topic (https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-hakai-t10675.html)as follows:
Hi,

This is my first post on here, I have already flashed Volumio onto an SSD for use on the Hakai project.

Hakai is a high end music streamer designed by Lejonklou (the details are here: http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=4272).

Hakai uses Volumio as the o/s on a mini ITX motherboard. Some Hakai users are having problems using Volumio with the Hakai DAC - the summary problems are here (http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=4308)

The DAC is an ESI Gigaport HD+. It's a USB DAC and the manufacturer supplies Linux drivers (https://kb.esi-audio.com/?goto=KB00231EN).

Does anyone know if:

1. Volumio can use manufacturer-supplied Linux drivers? If so, how would I load the drivers?
2. There is a way to formally register Volumio issues?

Many thanks for the excellent software. I hope the issues with Volumio & Hakai can be resolved!
Random avatar
FPM
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

maffe wrote:I’m using a Raspberry pi with Volumio and the esi HD+.
Many thanks Maffe Lumin working nicely , everything keeps playing now
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

FairPlayMotty wrote:I just registered with Volumio and raised this topic (https://volumio.org/forum/volumio-hakai-t10675.html)as follows:
Hi,

This is my first post on here, I have already flashed Volumio onto an SSD for use on the Hakai project.

Hakai is a high end music streamer designed by Lejonklou (the details are here: http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=4272).

Hakai uses Volumio as the o/s on a mini ITX motherboard. Some Hakai users are having problems using Volumio with the Hakai DAC - the summary problems are here (http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =10&t=4308)

The DAC is an ESI Gigaport HD+. It's a USB DAC and the manufacturer supplies Linux drivers (https://kb.esi-audio.com/?goto=KB00231EN).

Does anyone know if:

1. Volumio can use manufacturer-supplied Linux drivers? If so, how would I load the drivers?
2. There is a way to formally register Volumio issues?

Many thanks for the excellent software. I hope the issues with Volumio & Hakai can be resolved!
Random avatar
FPM
Fresh off the boat
Fresh off the boat

Great initiative FPM!

I just saw that you posted your question under the 'Introduce Yourself' section. I think it belongs better under 'Help'.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

I agree and will create an issue or preferably a Hakai thread in the Volumio help section, the more Hakai converts who post there the better the chances of Volumio taking it seriously.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

Listening to Joni Mitchell, Blue high definition, Volumio plays every track end-to-end flawlessly. Will check the metadata on the album tomorrow but I suspect it's tagged as a compilation. If so, I will test with more album. Then if that is the reason it plays every song I'll run a batch file to change the tags on my 1.4TB flac library.

Enjoying the music too much to do it now!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

MediaMonkey also plays albums continuously and seems less flaky than Lumin,well so far anyway..obviously that could change
I know that tune
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

HiFi Cast on Anrdroid drives Volumio with ease. Any issues, clear the queue. Playlist generation is easy and whole albums play with minimal issues.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

Running HAKAI one week now and it has been quite frustrating with Volumio.
Exactly the same issues you described...

I tried Daphile from bootable usb stick and this software player works flawlessly, but has not the exciting sound Volumio has. So I figured that the problems are not caused by the Esi GIGAPort HD+.

But now i’ve pinpointed the problems with Volumio and solved them.
HAKAI with Volumio is running flawlessly since yesterday and I also managed to run Tidal and Qobuz on the HAKAI.

My setup:
HAKAI build according recommended specs
Gigabyte GA-N3050N-D3H motherboard
2 x Intel 320 SSD
2 x 4GB valueram so-dimm low voltage version (3L)
WD usb HDD (2TB) connected to USB-3 port with my local music (no NAS)
Volumio installed on SSD-1 and using SSD-2 for saving purchased music from Qobuz
ESI GIGAPort HD+ dac
Streacom case and 160W nano power supply
iPad Air 2 used as controller

The described problems are all caused by the Volumio web interface and also the official Volumio controller app; music stops playing when pressing start or switching songs, hdd and usb hdd not visible all the time, music library lost entries, etc, etc...

The solution I use:
Rigelian Universal controller app (2 months free trial, €4,99 subscription afterwards per year)
Now I can browse my usb HDD and internal SDD for music and play them with Volumio as renderer.
No hick up yet...
(There might be other controller apps also working, but this one is tested by me and works perfectly)

LUMIN controller app for streaming Qobuz and Tidal with Volumio as renderer.
(Can also be used with NAS for local music, but I don’t have a NAS... and it won’t find music on local HDD’s)
Qobuz and Tidal needs BubbleUPnP server installed somewhere on a pc in your home network.
I use a laptop connected to power.
Instructions: https://www.hifizine.com/2016/06/how-to ... pberry-pi/

Hope this helps
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sopper wrote:Running HAKAI one week now and it has been quite frustrating with Volumio.

I tried Daphile from bootable usb stick and this software player works flawlessly, but has not the exciting sound Volumio has. So I figured that the problems are not caused by the Esi GIGAPort HD+.

HAKAI with Volumio is running flawlessly since yesterday and I also managed to run Tidal and Qobuz on the HAKAI.

My setup:
2 x Intel 320 SSD
Volumio installed on SSD-1 and using SSD-2 for saving purchased music from Qobuz
ESI GIGAPort HD+ dac

The described problems are all caused by the Volumio web interface and also the official Volumio controller app; music stops playing when pressing start or switching songs, hdd and usb hdd not visible all the time, music library lost entries, etc, etc...

The solution I use:
Rigelian Universal controller app (2 months free trial, €4,99 subscription afterwards per year)
Now I can browse my usb HDD and internal SDD for music and play them with Volumio as renderer.
No hick up yet...

(Can also be used with NAS for local music, but I don’t have a NAS... and it won’t find music on local HDD’s)
Qobuz and Tidal needs BubbleUPnP server installed somewhere on a pc in your home network.

Hope this helps
This sounds like very useful information, Sopper!

Why do you have two 320 SSD's? I suspect that your HAKAI will sound better with only one.

How do you feel that your HAKAI performs musically? I hate being negative, but I feel I must point out that when you play from a HDD connected by USB (or from files stored on one of your 320 SSD's), you don't even get half of the musicality that you get when streaming it from a NAS. The difference really is massive.
kallesprätt

Post by kallesprätt »

While I'm waiting for the parts for my Hakai to arrive I have set up a RaspberryPi-> Gigaport HD+ running Volumio. I have tried both Minimserver and AssetUPnP running on windows controlling Volumio with both Lumin and BubbleDs next without problems, but when I let Volumio find the music and controlling it with the web interface,I get the problems mentioned above.
When I use a Hrt musicstreamer II usb dac all possible ways of controlling Volumio I can think of works fine, so it has something to do with the Esi dac.
But since my LSNas is running Asset it won't be a problem.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sopper wrote:Running HAKAI one week now and it has been quite frustrating with Volumio.

My setup:
2 x Intel 320 SSD
ESI GIGAPort HD+ dac

The solution I use:
No hick up yet...
(There might be other controller apps also working, but this one is tested by me and works perfectly)

Hope this helps
If you have a laptop, technically you have a NAS. Have you compared music on the USB hard drive connected to hakai to music stored on your laptop(on the same network)
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Looks like Sopper has inadvertently built a NAS and using it as a streamer
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

You do not need Bubbleupnp server on your pc or actually need a pc to stream quobuz tidal etc but as I am typing this I realize sopper must be an iPhone user.If you have Android all you need is bubble upnp app to cast Qobuz Tidal and Google music to Hakai although Azazello managed to stream Gmusic from his iPhone without a pc ..I'm sure .I dont think Ive ever seen an iphone so wont be able to advise on that front
I know that tune
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote: Why do you have two 320 SSD's? I suspect that your HAKAI will sound better with only one.
Not sure why I inserted 2 haha
I think I had a dual boot option in mind to try something different on 2nd SSD.
lejonklou wrote: How do you feel that your HAKAI performs musically? I hate being negative, but I feel I must point out that when you play from a HDD connected by USB (or from files stored on one of your 320 SSD's), you don't even get half of the musicality that you get when streaming it from a NAS. The difference really is massive.
The HAKAI is definitely very musical, even with music from usb HDD and/or internal SSD.
Will try to get my laptop used as server and compare.

Not sure why HAKAI in combination with ESI dac and VOLUMIO is so exciting...
I tried HDMI out to Klimax DSM, but it looses its magic; still very good hifi, but no sparkling.
kallesprätt wrote:While I'm waiting for the parts for my Hakai to arrive I have set up a RaspberryPi-> Gigaport HD+ running Volumio. I have tried both Minimserver and AssetUPnP running on windows controlling Volumio with both Lumin and BubbleDs next without problems, but when I let Volumio find the music and controlling it with the web interface,I get the problems mentioned above.
When I use a Hrt musicstreamer II usb dac all possible ways of controlling Volumio I can think of works fine, so it has something to do with the Esi dac.
But since my LSNas is running Asset it won't be a problem.
Then it might be a combination DAC and web interface, which is strange....
Lego wrote: If you have a laptop, technically you have a NAS. Have you compared music on the USB hard drive connected to hakai to music stored on your laptop(on the same network)
True... didn’t think of that.
Will copy some music to my laptop and start a server to stream from and compare.

And yes... I’m an Apple user.
So BubbleUPnP server needed for streaming Qobuz and Tidal to the Volumio.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

@Sopper
You can use Audirvana for streaming Qobuz and Tidal to Volumio too.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

matthias wrote:@Sopper
You can use Audirvana for streaming Qobuz and Tidal to Volumio too.

Matt
I’ll pass... €75 versus free BubbleUPnP server