A DIY digital music streamer with exceptional performance

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Re: HAKAI playground

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou wrote:
Azazello wrote:Since no one else seemed interested in guessing; no surprises the first Clip is HAKAI NAS, the second Qnap.
That's fantastic!

(I did harbour a slight fear that number one, which I found substantially more fun to listen to, would be Qnap).
No no. And the test was fairly stringent too, using the same power block and the same network cable, clips recorded within minutes apart.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Tendaberry wrote:
lejonklou wrote:First clip is better!
By quite a margin I'd say.
I agree, clip 1 has a much more natural swing to it. Clip 2 sounds stilted in comparison.
Now how can I build a Hakai NAS with 4 TB storage space???
Just start buying Intel 320’s 600 GB I guess :)
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Azazello wrote:Just start buying Intel 320’s 600 GB I guess :)
I was under the impression that you can only attach 4 to the 3150 motherboard. Is there a way around that? Sorry for my computer ignorance...
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I didn't get a chance to listen to these two clips until now, busy weekend!

Clip 1 really crushes clip 2. 2 sounds pretty flat and dull in comparison, a lot less life and some sour notes too. Rock on HAKAI!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Tendaberry wrote:
I was under the impression that you can only attach 4 to the 3150 motherboard. Is there a way around that? Sorry for my computer ignorance...
Yes, only 4 SATA ports built in limiting max capacity to 2.4GB using 600GB 320s. There is a PCI slot and you can buy PCI controllers with 4 or 6 SATA connections but who knows what that would do to the musical perfromance. You'd also have to figure out how to mount them in the Streamcom chassis, although they have larger cases that might handle more drives.
The LP12 Whisperer
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Tendaberry wrote:
That’s a problem of course. Maybe you could sort out a couple of TBs with important music and keep your current NAS for the rest?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

ThomasOK wrote:Yes, only 4 SATA ports built in limiting max capacity to 2.4GB using 600GB 320s. There is a PCI slot and you can buy PCI controllers with 4 or 6 SATA connections but who knows what that would do to the musical perfromance. You'd also have to figure out how to mount them in the Streamcom chassis, although they have larger cases that might handle more drives.
I guess I would have the operating system on one disc without music? So that would further reduce the capacity. But I suppose I could put it on the disc connected through the PCI controller?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Azazello wrote:
Tendaberry wrote:
That’s a problem of course. Maybe you could sort out a couple of TBs with important music and keep your current NAS for the rest?
Yes my thoughts would be to keep current playings ie ~20% on Hakai Nas and 80% on regular Nas. Pareto raises his head yet again.

Although Azazello can you put your hand on your heart and say its a 500 euro improvement adding the Hakai Nas?
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Lego wrote: Although Azazello can you put your hand on your heart and say its a 500 euro improvement adding the Hakai Nas?
I would probably not recommend it to someone who uses a HAKAI with a Classic music an Unik, but generally it’s very very easy to say yes. To me that’s apparent in the clips I posted :)
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

The SATA ports are not the only limitation for a Hakai NAS, as the power loom with the Nano power supply allows connection for 2 x SATA and 1 x IDE. Adaptors are available to convert the third to SATA, but may have an effect? Also, in the specified case at least, there is only room for 3 x SSD. Nonetheless, that might be okay for this vinyl addict.

I'm hoping to get onto a controlled comparison of NAS configurations to eliminate the Debian/Windows variable, but so far Debian won't boot on the LSNAS, and Windows won't boot on the Hakai.... I'm still very happy with my LSNAS based on impressions so far.

And finally I confess to having liked Azazello's clip 1 better, but wasn't sure about putting my head above the parapet as I didn't "get" the music.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hmmm, this one was not so easy.

Second one sounds nicer, fuller and is probably better. But I had to listen several times. Maybe due to being very tired after 12 hours of work.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I prefer the second clip. It sounds more relaxed and full (less agitated).
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I prefer 2 too.
Last edited by Spannko on 2018-10-03 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I usually do Ivors listen for the first 5 sec only but was surprised when I listened all the way to the end of clip 1..

With track 2 I got more of a feeling of someone strumming a guitar so had made my mind up in first 5 sec of track 2 ..Better sound and better musicality , surely not .I hope it's clip 2 :0)
I know that tune
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I found it hard to distinguish with just the intro, but the voice is more tuneful in 2.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Night and day Azazello second one sounds flat .Must admit you get the prize for best sound for posting tunes. Listening from my Laptop cast to Chromecast Audio plugged into Tivoli pal I could happily listen all day at work to your set up, which sounds like a very good bootleg of a live recording in a small bar
I know that tune
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Azazello wrote: Blue jeans cables arriverad today.
What cables are the Blue Jeans replacing?
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Lego wrote:
Night and day Azazello second one sounds flat .Must admit you get the prize for best sound for posting tunes. Listening from my Laptop cast to Chromecast Audio plugged into Tivoli pal I could happily listen all day at work to your set up, which sounds like a very good bootleg of a live recording in a small bar
Is this a typo, or have you changed your mind which one you prefer?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Spannko wrote:
Lego wrote:
Is this a typo, or have you changed your mind which one you prefer?
No Spannko I was referring to the Nas's
I know that tune
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

tokenbrit wrote:
Azazello wrote: Blue jeans cables arriverad today.
What cables are the Blue Jeans replacing?
One random "from my box full of mixed cables" and one microconnect (the old recommendation), but it might also be a bit mistreated.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Lego wrote:I usually do Ivors listen for the first 5 sec only but was surprised when I listened all the way to the end of clip 1..
You don't want to disrespect Townes. Kudos to you for that! I couldn't bring myself to cut the recording before the first chorus...
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

And the second one is the Blue Jeans cables! The difference felt substantial but in a subtle way. Very glad I got them!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Azazello wrote:And the second one is the Blue Jeans cables! The difference felt substantial but in a subtle way. Very glad I got them!
Good for you.

Listening again to the clips through a PA system loudly I think Lejonklou’s (kind of) indecision is nearer my present evaluation.
The clips show the same characteristics as through headphones but a very slight “watery” effect can be heard on the second clip (blue jean cables).

So once again I end up being more confused by digital than enlightened!
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Spannko wrote:I prefer 2 too.
Beat me TO it. ;-) I also prefer clip 2 and wondered how anybody had a hard time with it on first listen. Then I went back to clip 1 and it had improved, but I still found 2 to be more relaxed with better vocal texture. This is the second time recently I have run into this where the second listen to a clip was better than the first listen and by a fair margin. I'm starting to think that it is better to play the clips once each and then compare on the second listen. I'm guessing that the act of playing a clip the first time buffers the clips in the computer so they sound better the second time played.
The LP12 Whisperer